Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more unbearable: the Northern winter, or the Southern summer?
Northern winter 190 48.35%
Southern summer 203 51.65%
Voters: 393. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 11:16 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

It depends on who is doing the shoveling.

But seriously, t also has to do with whether you are still in the workforce and whether you HAVE TO go outside. I used to despise scraping the ice off the windshield at 6:30A in the winter but now that I'm retired, and home during the summer daytime highs in temperature, I hate early afternoon heat and humidity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 12:36 AM

4,116 posts, read 3,145,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Taking into account the worst of both regions, would you rather not tolerate a Northern winter (Fargo), or a Southern summer (Dallas)?

A Northern Winter. I hate the cold, icy, snowy, gloomy weather. It's very depressing

Old 07-02-2009, 12:39 PM

893 posts, read 2,862,388 times
Southern Summers are the most unbearable for me.

There is nothing like a good snowfall where it feels like the world stands still for a little bit.

Yes thats in Manhattan. A street that's normally clogged with cars.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:41 PM

767 posts, read 2,065,664 times
I think that the Northern winters are alot worse. I lived for 6 years in Green Bay and winters were pretty long and rough. Its even worse farther north in places like Duluth and the UP. I can deal with the heat. That's what swimming pools and air conditioning are for. The winters up north seemed very dreary to me and the bad winter weather impacts everything that you try to do - like get to work...

Old 07-02-2009, 12:48 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
As a teenager living off 7th Avenue in Manhattan, I always used to go out in a night snowstorm just to walk around and enjoy the beauty and peacefulness of it.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:56 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Atlanta is NOT as oppressive. Try dealing 100+ temperatures for WEEKS straight.

Much of Texas has been in the triple digits for the past few weeks. It's only late June. That means we still have about two and a half months left of this mess.

Atlantans dont know how good they have it
I used to live in Texas, Ft. Worth specifically. I know how hot it can get. As much as the idea of having temps of 100 F for weeks is nothing to celebrate, I can tolerate Texas heat better than Atlanta heat. I should know. I have lived in both places. The high elevation doesn't make much of a different too me because the humidity is a factor.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth08 View Post
Southern Summers are the most unbearable for me.

There is nothing like a good snowfall where it feels like the world stands still for a little bit.

Yes thats in Manhattan. A street that's normally clogged with cars.
Beautifu in a sense, and yet, I think there should be more snow. No cars in the road, I can run and frolic in the snow without worrying too much about passing cars.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:03 PM

Something else to think about "Venice of New England" :A Highly Idiosyncratic and Unabashedly Opinionated Photographic Tour of Wickford, Rhode Island, the Venice of New England (http://www.npj.com/homepage/teritowe/histwick.html - broken link)

Old 07-03-2009, 08:42 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,078 times
I went to Mexico... stopp in Houston one time...
MY GOD that was the worst day of my life.
And it was only a rest stop.

I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER live in the south.
EVER

Old 07-03-2009, 10:41 AM

501 posts, read 1,429,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djames9 View Post
uhh...lol No.. not the Entire state of california is 65 Degrees in the summertime... just the Immediate coastline... which almost no one lives near... here... lol for the majority California is a Desert... that means temperatures actually get HOT!!! anywhere from 100 to 125 is the Average highest temperature for July and Most of August... i mean.. this isn't Eureka,ca where it's 60 for the high and 49 for the low average for the Dead of July... that's actually the coolest Place in the US for Summertime.. Besides Alaska.. but still... yeah i've spent last summer in Florida... with mid 90's and 100 percent humidity...

Guess what? It felt Great.. I'll take Humid heat over Dry Heat any day.. and also.. not every californian hates Wintertime... that's just a stereotype ... people buy into.. it's bogus... obviously you haven't heard me on this forum before... lol i can't stand California..and i hate Fresno,ca... lol.. don't mean to sound rude.. but hey... don't believe fake phony stereotypes... everyone has there own preferences.. you can't judge people based on where they live.. Given the opportunity i'd move to the East Coast in a heart beat... you should read some of my threads.. where i clearly state that... lol take care buddy..
Apparently, you did not read my post carefully. I said "southern California" (i.e. Foothills). >D I know the rest of California isn't like the coast. I've been north and to the desert portions of California. I know how diverse your warm/dry weather is like. The only place I never been to yet are the snowy mountains, and southern beaches.

And eh? Ya sure you want humidity? >D I guess I can understand why you want humidity. Well, I'm kind of use to walking around in California with a jacket on in the early portions of the day, take it off during the afternoon, and then putting it back on at night. Whereas, places with humidity, you don't have to do that in the summertime. You can wear short sleeves all da/night long.

(And I'm a girl, but "buddy" is fine. >D)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.