Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 07:14 AM

15 posts, read 44,601 times

Advertisements

I can live just about anywhere. This is the problem. I have so many choices I'm stuck.

I'm a writer. My work is home-based, I have no kids. (I do have a pug and some plants. I can live without the plants, but not the pug.) I am single. financials are decent (I pay $1,500 a month for an apartment, I could probably go to 2K.) I don't need a big interior but I need a bigger exterior. (garden, place to hike etc...)

Here's my dream list. A town/city that:

Has no/low crime
Has a temperate climate. No extremes in either direction. (pug is delicate)
Has access to nature. (pug likes to walk.)
Is near water. Salt or fresh.
Has open spaces, not too many people.
Has access to shopping. (preferably smaller stores. not Sam's Club)
Has internet access
Is relatively quiet (don't need a club scene but like a good pub)
Has access to an airport (within an hour)
Has a vibrant arts community
Has a community period! (I like having people over for dinner)
Has an inspirational quality (It's a dream list) like a river, meadow, lake, mountain or sea.

I have family in Chicago/Minneapolis and have been living in those places almost my whole life. I need something new and refreshing.

I have considered Washington state, Oregon, Vermont, Hawaii, Tennesee, kentucky, but within those places I am confused where specifically to try. Seattle is too big, Portland is too big etc...and I'm not sure about which communities that are smaller might work.

Any and all ideas greatly appreciated. My work is suffering from being in one place too long and I need help writing the next chapter of my life.

Last edited by searchingforsomething; 12-15-2008 at 07:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 07:29 AM

694 posts, read 2,651,058 times
Need to see photo of pug.
No particular reason other than their so damn cute.
Definitely a west coast dog. In fact I often thought
Rene Zelweigler resembles one.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:43 AM

15 posts, read 44,601 times
Default embarrassing but true...

he loves hats...and he has a blog. So embarrassing. http://walterthepug.blogspot.com

Old 12-15-2008, 07:47 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
Asheville, NC comes to mind...I have not personally been there but from what I have heard, it has most or all of what you are interested in.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:04 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
If money is no object, I'd try a smaller arts community in the Northeast, Northern California, or Washington State. Someplace like Provincetown, MA or Port Townsend, WA. Vermont seems like a really good place for writers.

Try reading through this epic thread. Oodles of suggestions here. //www.city-data.com/forum/gener...eck-woods.html

Old 12-15-2008, 09:54 AM

1,577 posts, read 5,685,650 times
You would probably like somewhere in Rhode Island. Its weird, because i dont usually recomend Rhode Island often but when i was reading your list Rhode Island came to mind.

I only been there once, but it was like for 3 weeks and it is beautiful, i would live there if my life wasnt where i live now.

you should check it out.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:11 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times
I would go to Burlington, Vt.. It isn't warm, but fits all of your other criteria.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:20 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
You would probably like somewhere in Rhode Island. Its weird, because i dont usually recomend Rhode Island often but when i was reading your list Rhode Island came to mind.

I only been there once, but it was like for 3 weeks and it is beautiful, i would live there if my life wasnt where i live now.

you should check it out.
Really? Where? Providence?

Old 12-15-2008, 10:39 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
If I were you I'd check out Southern Missouri or Northern Arkansas in the Ozarks. Lots of nice, beautiful country to reflect and inspire; also, the weather isn't too harsh in the Winter.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:47 PM

193 posts, read 481,843 times
Asheville, NC came to my mind too! I would check that out.

I also love Northampton, MA. It's a very liberal little city, but it has a lot of soul. Lots of restaurants, places to walk around, second floor apartments.

I'm heading south from the north, so I'm leaning a bit towards the area of the country where it's on the warmer side and cheaper side, so I'm probably a bit more bias towards the south right now- and would say to check out NC. I'm in the same situation as you- I'm a 21 year old female small business owner who can relocate my business anywhere in the US, and it makes it so hard to choose!

Good luck looking and please, keep us updated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.