Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 02:43 PM

5 posts, read 18,429 times

Advertisements

Hello.
I'm a 22 year old swede.
I am in love with america and american culture.

Is it possible for me to become a real american? Or would i always be percepted as an outsider even though i'm white and speak decent english (with a weird accent)? What about my future kids?

I will probably get a PhD in statistics from a swedish university. Possibly a bachelor's degree in finance or economics too. Is there any need for people with that kind of educational background in America?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 03:30 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
Do you play hockey?

Just curious.

And I would thing you would eventually be accepted.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:32 PM

5 posts, read 18,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Do you play hockey?
not anymore

Old 12-19-2008, 03:46 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,753,956 times
You shouldn't have too much trouble being accepted after a while. There are lots of Swedes in the U.S., so don't worry about appearance, but I would work on the accent. If you lived here a few years, you would become sufficiently 'Americanized,' and the accent would be the only way people could tell you originally came from Sweden. Your kids wouldn't have anything at all to worry about. As far as I know, there is no Swedish racism anywhere in the United States, and I, being of Swedish ancestry, would probably have encountered it by now.

As far as your educational goals, I'm sure you could find a niche here. You might not be able to pick and chose your future location, but there's certainly a job for you somewhere.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:41 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,574,076 times
As far as Swedes go, of all I've heard speak English, they BARELY have accents. People from the Netherlands as well. I was so surprised at how well Swedes can speak English. So yeah, you shouldn't have a problem being accepted as an American after a while

Old 12-19-2008, 07:08 PM

263 posts, read 1,078,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate View Post
Hello.
I'm a 22 year old swede.
I am in love with america and american culture.

Is it possible for me to become a real american? Or would i always be percepted as an outsider even though i'm white and speak decent english (with a weird accent)? What about my future kids?

I will probably get a PhD in statistics from a swedish university. Possibly a bachelor's degree in finance or economics too. Is there any need for people with that kind of educational background in America?

Thank you!

Check out Seattle buddy:
Swedish Cultural Center
//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...re-thread.html

It's not normally considered a financial center though. NYC, Maryland, an d North Carolina are...

Reminds me, I got a bottle of Svedka tonight that still needs to be cracked...

Old 12-19-2008, 08:47 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseonloose View Post
Immigrants are eventually considered Americans by most people, this is one main difference from most countries.
That actually is quite true in many countries, anyway.

In a lot of countries, you can move there at the age of 21, and at the age of 60, you are still considered a "foreigner" by the locals. They may accept you as a friend and colleague, but you're still somewhat of an outsider when compared to the natives. I've known several people who have moved from the U.S. to other countries, and many years later, even if they fully adopt their new country and customers, they are considered just as fresh of a newcomer as the day they arrived.

The U.S. is an extremely large country compared to many, though. Region by region you'll find varied attitudes and acceptance levels of those who move here from other countries. If you move to Boston, New York, Chicago.... then once your accent starts to blend in a bit and your English skills are very good, then poof - your an American to most once you get your papers. Move to middle Alabama though, and it might take many years (if ever) before you're not "the foreigner" - though you may still be perfectly well accepted.

Your future kids will be fine, and yes, having degrees in education is a plus. People certainly accept those coming into the country if they are going to contribute a great deal to society as opposed to someone who would be uneducated or unskilled coming here to use the social services.

As politically incorrect as it may be to say, the frank point of it is that unless you're from a Middle-Eastern country, most in the U.S. will ignore you if anything. In the South you can possibly add people from certain African and Island nations drawing a few stares as well, but I've never in my life heard the expression, "Oh geez, look - another SWEDE!".

Old 12-20-2008, 12:21 AM

39 posts, read 142,088 times
I think you will, solely based upon your sense of humor.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:27 AM

702 posts, read 2,295,084 times
My father emigrated here from Germany in the 1960s and had a noticeable accent, even after 20 years (both of my parents have accents). It will always be detected and commented on, usually in a positive and inquisitive manner. Once, when I was a child, we got a message on our answering machine (on which my father had recorded the "we're not home" message) and it said "get out of the country, you effin' foreigner". That was pretty weird.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:07 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
Everyone in the U.S.A. has some sort of regional accent. Heck the whole country is composed of mostly foreigners and their descendants. You won't have any problem concerning an accent. You may have to work a job that is not in your field unless you get lucky. I would visit first if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.