Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 06:56 PM

508 posts, read 1,512,499 times

Advertisements

I don't see too many Pac NW picks. Seattle, for example, is kind of cold to new people or maybe it is that they just have their own thing going on & are very disinterested in anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 07:41 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
New York City (depressing surroundings in New Jersey, cold buildings in all of NYC except for Midtown and downtown Manhattan....and of course the coldest, least friendly people in the entire world)

Newark, New Jersey (self-explanatory)
Jersey City, New Jersey (self-explanatory)

Cleveland, Ohio (it was a plane stop in the middle of winter....but everything was cold and gray and our flight was de-iced twice. The view was soooo depressing with ice everywhere and the city under a pall of gray, with gray buildings everywhere.)

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (weather-wise).

Old 06-05-2007, 07:43 PM

Cosmic, Boise, Idaho was one of the friendliest places I've ever been. People were wonderful and helpful and were genuinely kind of visitors unlike New Yorkers or Californians.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:46 PM

Kathleen, its not actually people from New YOrk City's 5 actual boroughs that are the worst, its people from Lwong Island (esp. Nassau County...Suffolk is slightly better, and I stress slightly) and Westchester.

I've found people from Westchester, NY and the state of Connecticut and New York area transplants in Maryland to be the most unpleasant people anywhere on Earth. Yes, Lwong Islanders are more unlikable than even Parisians and Londoners.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:49 PM

I've surprised at how many people mentioend Midwestern cities like Fargo and Sioux Falls. These are the places I expect to be most friendly and hospitable, where people are religious and have good values.

From personal experience, I also have to add Oakland, California as a very cold city. San Francisco was actually really great, as was Berkeley, but Oakland was just very ghetto and unpleasant and depressing. My tour guide in San Francisco said Oakland was a part of New Jersey in California and it wasn't that far from the truth.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:01 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
Terrapin2212 - cities that are suspicious of outsiders and cannot accept eccentricity or people who do not share their values or ways of living the way that some of those small midwestern towns are would, to me, be much colder and harsher to live in than a place whose residents have a reputation for briskness and the occasional public outburst of anger but are ultimately fun to be around and friendly (e.g. nyc) (some of it is just being in a city, hey, I think I stole a cab last week from someone else myself but didn't really realize it until I had an angry person glaring at me from the curb as I sat down, but I kept the taxi, if that person had been a tourist, they probably went home shaking their head at how 'rude' people were too, and I don't think I'm a rude person at all). I've been in the northern midwest and good luck getting people to chat with you anywhere and I've been to corner pubs in Brooklyn found the locals chatty and gregarious.

Ultimately I think it is different strokes for different folks, but I know that I could NEVER live in one of those small midwestern towns as I found them much colder than anything I've encountered in the cities typically dismissed as 'rude'.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:49 PM

15 posts, read 41,629 times
Denver's a little reserved--but it's not cold! People are very hospitable and friendly, IMHO.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:27 AM

793 posts, read 3,121,944 times
I'll vouch for Long Island and Westchester County too: far worse than the rest of its NY neighbors.... Portland, Maine is a city with alot of femi-nazis and just plain unfriendly people. I'll add most of southern New England including southern NH, Central Florida, DC, Maryland, Philly, Detroit, and some of the burbs south of Chicago into Indiana just seems full of miserable human beings.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:53 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinkentucky View Post
--Louisville, KY...a city that goes on and on and ON and ON about its Southern hospitality (that, once you get there, you find out it doesn't remotely exist.)
-
For somewhere that has no Southern hospitality, my sunday school teachers who were transferred to Indianapolis sure miss it. Maybe you just weren't in the right part?

Old 06-06-2007, 07:58 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
and some of the burbs south of Chicago into Indiana just seems full of miserable human beings.
Hey ... we aren't all bad (I'm from the burbs just south of Chicago).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.