Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2008, 02:34 PM

54 posts, read 97,367 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a single parent of two children (ages 16 and 9) and I am considering a move to the South. I am not sure which cities would be best but I am looking for a city that has good schools, a low cost of living, affordable housing and provides a few family-friendly activities within the city/metro area for me & my children. I am not looking to purchase a home at this time but would like any information regarding apartments/condos/townhomes with a maximum price of $900 per month. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 06:26 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,596,498 times
Try Dallas Texas.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:23 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,047,535 times
For starters, I suggest finding a job. Do you have a specific line of work? Posting it here might help find a suitable city. Next, what draws you to the South? Weather? Confederate flags? Cost of living? With children of those ages I would suggest providing more information so we can better assist you in finding a place to live. As of now, I would say Greenville, SC would be suitable, but the number one rule of moving is don't do it without a job lined up...

Old 12-21-2008, 07:37 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,548,303 times
What about Lexington, Kentucky?

* 10th most educated US city (40% of adults have a bachelor's degree)
* One of the safest US cities (15 murders in a metro area of 500,000 per year)
* One of the most recession proof economies in the US
* Population has tripled since 1950, doubled since 1970

http://static2.bareka.com/photos/medium/14182317.jpg (broken link)

http://static2.bareka.com/photos/medium/13329785.jpg (broken link)

http://static1.bareka.com/photos/medium/13329780.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-21-2008, 07:41 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,593,872 times
how's the weather in kentucky? hard winters or summers, etc?

Old 12-21-2008, 08:24 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,548,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
how's the weather in kentucky? hard winters or summers, etc?
It gets cold in winter but doesn't stay very cold for long. Right now we're having the 2nd coldest weather I can remember in my lifetime (current temp 9, wind chill -8). I can only remember a wind chill that cold during the Blizzard of 1994. Ever couple of years we'll a couple of days with lows in the single digits, but it doesn't have the wind that this storm does. Fortunately the high will get back to 57 by Wed.

Areas along and north of I-64 gets about 12 inches of snow a year (typically in about 4 small snow storms), snow rarely stays on ground more than a couple of days. According to weather.com Louisville's ave January high is 41 with a low of 25.; July averages a high of 87 and low of 70

Last edited by censusdata; 12-21-2008 at 08:33 PM..

Old 12-22-2008, 10:27 AM

54 posts, read 97,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
For starters, I suggest finding a job. Do you have a specific line of work? Posting it here might help find a suitable city. Next, what draws you to the South? Weather? Confederate flags? Cost of living? With children of those ages I would suggest providing more information so we can better assist you in finding a place to live. As of now, I would say Greenville, SC would be suitable, but the number one rule of moving is don't do it without a job lined up...

Thanks for the suggestions...by the way, I DEFINITELY will not be moving until I have a job lined up. I can't imagine moving to a new city or state without having my finances in check. I work in the Banking/Financial field (I have worked in this field for almost 15 years) but I also have experience in the Administrative/Clerical field as well. What draws me to the South is the cost of living and the climate; I'm tired of cold, dreary winters up here in the Midwest. I know that the South has its share of cold weather but I doubt if it's on the same level as the Midwest's. I talked with a friend of mine a few weeks ago who also suggested Greenville, SC and also Spartanburg, SC as well. I was thinking about the Charlotte metro area since they are known for being a banking mecca but I was also considering the Atlanta metro area as well. Again, any additional suggestions are appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.