Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WHICH ONE IS THE BEST TO LIVE IN?
SAN FRANCISCO 19 29.23%
LA 21 32.31%
SAN DIEGO 25 38.46%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 05:51 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times

Advertisements

It's a tough call between San Diego and L.A. Based on your criteria, San Diego probably will be the best fit for you except for the big city feel. Although San Diego's downtown is growing and a lot of new developments being built, and the Gaslamp District is a decent nightlife area, plus you have the beach cities. Like Sweetclimber, I had a lot of complaints about S.D. mainly based on bad personal experiences during and even more after I left there. San Diego might have some positive changes in the near future especially after the economy recovers. I think a lot of the reasons why I was having a hard time in San Diego is not necessarily because of the place, but more because of the time (during the "W" era). San Diego under the Obama era might be different, and for the better. Also, the political trend is shifting to more liberal, so the once conservative, military-centric, family friendly, church going, materialistic suburban culture that was common in S.D. might be shifting to a more urban and youth/singles friendly culture like the other California cities, and cities such as NYC, Chicago, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 12:39 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
type in san jose weather and then los angeles weather

both in google

the weather patterns are identical but its a tad cooler in sj at night usually
Having lived in both, I don't need to put it in google- LA is far warmer overall.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:56 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,134,161 times
I've lived in all three and they all have advantages and disadvantages.

Personally, I thought SD was a let-down. I didn't like it. If I live in SoCal again, I would go to LA instead. I think LA is a better choice than SD.

LA, was just LA. A huge, awesome city with a life of its own. With all the good and bad that gos along with it. Lots of fun, great weather. But it does have that Hollywood egomania thing going on. And the competetive, "i'm better than you" vibe. To me, that was the worst part of it.

SF is a very, very cool place. I love it. It offers a lot of the qualities of LA, with less of the bad sides of it. SF has a very interesting feel. I could just walk the streets there forever and be entertained. The people there, overall, are more down to Earth than SoCal. It's got more of a hippy, liberal vibe.

I think it's even more expensive than So-Cal though and harder to make it in SF. But the suburbs in the East Bay offer good deals on rent. And I don't like that it is stuck in that little penninsula and surrounded by bridges.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:03 PM

893 posts, read 2,864,012 times
Los Angeles for me. I think I would feel more at home there.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,773,126 times
San Francisco is much nicer than Los Angeles, but I would still rather live in Los Angeles. The Bay Area is kind of boring.

San Diego is very boring and I can't stand the San Diegan/South Orange County lifestyle.

I prefer to live in a larger cosmopolitan city, but it would have to specifically be; Beverly Hills, Los Feliz, Hollywood Hills, West Hollywood, Bel Air, and a few others.

The rest of the city is not nice and appealing at all. Downtown Los Angeles is a disaster, and I much prefer places like New York, Paris, London, etc. but I could settle on the nicer parts of the Westside if I had to live in California.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:26 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post

Personally, I thought SD was a let-down. I didn't like it. If I live in SoCal again, I would go to LA instead. I think LA is a better choice than SD.
It's interesting that you'd chose LA when all you did in the SD forum was complain about how San Diegans were self centered, rude, self important, materialistic, snobby, etc. You do realize that LA is 5 times bigger, and has 5 times the number of people you hated in SD, right?

Old 12-24-2008, 03:57 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,134,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
It's interesting that you'd chose LA when all you did in the SD forum was complain about how San Diegans were self centered, rude, self important, materialistic, snobby, etc. You do realize that LA is 5 times bigger, and has 5 times the number of people you hated in SD, right?
LA has a much bigger, international vibe. It does have the egomania and the materialism of SD, but In LA, that is just one aspect of it. In SD, I feel like that materialism is the main, overpowering culture of the city.

LA has a LOT of different cultures going on and a lot of really different niches. LA has a much more liberal vibe in my opinion.

San Diego has more of a conservative feel. Lots of military, lots of rich Republican types, lots of redneck types.

The two cities are very different. The attitudes of the people in each city are really different. But to be honest, neither one of them is an ideal place for me.

LA is not just a big SD. It's a whole different city. That's like saying Portland and Seattle are the same. Or Boston and NYC are the same.

Old 12-24-2008, 04:14 PM

304 posts, read 904,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Having lived in both, I don't need to put it in google- LA is far warmer overall.
no.

i went to school at sjsu

its really not a drastic difference like you make it seem

Old 12-24-2008, 04:55 PM

217 posts, read 292,461 times
Los Angeles - to play
San Diego - to live
San Francisco - big city feel

Old 01-06-2009, 07:00 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
no.

i went to school at sjsu

its really not a drastic difference like you make it seem
True. I have lived in both. They are similar, except San Jose is, like you said, a tad cooler in the night times. Also the high temps in the winter are ~5-7 degrees lower at most. The amount of rain each city receive is equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.