Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 02:05 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylehny View Post
The only reason that people move to the sunbelt is because they can't afford to live in the good areas. NY, CA, CT, etc. What is the appeal of living in the Sunbelt besides low costs?

The better part of the population, like the top 5% and new white collar professionals who do the reverse-migration and head to those Northeast or the West Coast.
Good areas? NY, CT, etc are exactly the areas they are running AWAY from! You've obviously never traveled very extensively if you have to ask a question about the appeal of living in the Sunbelt or anywhere else for that matter. Nobody here is really interested in explaining it to you either.

What kind of nonsense is that about the top 5% of new white collar professionals? What are you talking about and where do you get your information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 02:26 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,645,125 times
Quote:
The only reason that people move to the sunbelt is because they can't afford to live in the good areas. NY, CA, CT, etc. What is the appeal of living in the Sunbelt besides low costs?

The better part of the population, like the top 5% and new white collar professionals who do the reverse-migration and head to those Northeast or the West Coast.
The Sunbelt does include California.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:40 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Like I said, the only reason Houston and Austin aren't backwards is because they are transplant meccas.
You'll actually find the majority of the transplants in the suburbs of Texas major cities which tend to be more conservative. New York also has a huge flow of transplant coming in from the south, but I don't see you bringing that up.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:

What draws people to the sunbelt is space, more oppurtunies, more laid-back, nicer people, the history, and more.

People move here and love it and if you lived here you'd see why lots of people leave there homes. People move from nice big expensive homes and come down here in live in medium size homes. You just don't get that comfy feeling in the north like you do in the south.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:54 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,703,033 times
Texas is such an interesting place to me. Nice ppl, nice weather,cheap housing. It is missing a lot compared to the Northeast as far as identity and culture. I went there with open mind but was very dissapointed but I guess there is a reason NYC is considered the greatest city by many. I still like parts of the south and will move there at some point in the future....mostly to escape the cold.

While I think sweetclimber is a bit much of a cheerleader for texas she does have a valid point about the north being segregated. We will vote for Obama but don't want black ppl living on our block. So when pp from the North make ignorant statements about the south we do have to look in the mirror.

Like others have said the economy is in a world of hurt and once that stops back to the boom we go. Its not just ppl from the Northern US we have moving to the south anymore. Canadians are coming down in scary numbers and of course you have hispanics who prefer climates closer to their homeland. With that being said the South may become bigger then the North did in its hayday.

Old 12-25-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
What draws people to the sunbelt is space, more oppurtunies, more laid-back, nicer people, the history, and more.

People move here and love it and if you lived here you'd see why lots of people leave there homes. People move from nice big expensive homes and come down here in live in medium size homes. You just don't get that comfy feeling in the north like you do in the south.
I agree with you, but that space/low cost of living goes out the window the more ppl migrate there. At the same time if you have money to invest in property in a place like Houston and sit on it the value will skyrocket over the years.

PPL are nicer in the South due to the laid back atmosphere but once again that will all be gone when it becomes fast paced and competitive. Its not as if we were raised to be rude up here...it just goes with the lifestyle. A lifestyle which the south will become accustomed to whenever the boom is done. Its not an excuse to be rude and I try to always be polite but it is what it is.

Old 12-25-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
I agree with you, but that space/low cost of living goes out the window the more ppl migrate there. At the same time if you have money to invest in property in a place like Houston and sit on it the value will skyrocket over the years.

PPL are nicer in the South due to the laid back atmosphere but once again that will all be gone when it becomes fast paced and competitive. Its not as if we were raised to be rude up here...it just goes with the lifestyle. A lifestyle which the south will become accustomed to whenever the boom is done. Its not an excuse to be rude and I try to always be polite but it is what it is.
By the time that happens, I'll be long gone and dead. Texas is a very big state and it is going to take a long time before we start to lose space.

Old 12-25-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Texas is such an interesting place to me. Nice ppl, nice weather,cheap housing. It is missing a lot compared to the Northeast as far as identity and culture. I went there with open mind but was very dissapointed but I guess there is a reason NYC is considered the greatest city by many. I still like parts of the south and will move there at some point in the future....mostly to escape the cold.

While I think sweetclimber is a bit much of a cheerleader for texas she does have a valid point about the north being segregated. We will vote for Obama but don't want black ppl living on our block. So when pp from the North make ignorant statements about the south we do have to look in the mirror.

Like others have said the economy is in a world of hurt and once that stops back to the boom we go. Its not just ppl from the Northern US we have moving to the south anymore. Canadians are coming down in scary numbers and of course you have hispanics who prefer climates closer to their homeland. With that being said the South may become bigger then the North did in its hayday.
Texas does have an identity when you think about it .Texas is known as the cowboy state, even if it isn't exactly true.

Old 12-25-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
By the time that happens, I'll be long gone and dead. Texas is a very big state and it is going to take a long time before we start to lose space.
True...I just meant in the areas of major migration such as Houston, DFW and Austin to a lesser extent.

Old 12-25-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Texas does have an identity when you think about it .Texas is known as the cowboy state, even if it isn't exactly true.

lol..point taken...I dont even associate cowboys with Texas and did so even less after living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.