Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 12:28 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
No city can compete to NYC. However, Houston isn't that far behind Chicago.
yeah the city population But not the metro and plus for over 2 million people chicago city limits is much smaller Houston annexed so much land to get there 2 million If alot of citys citys limits were over 600 sq miles they would compete or yet pass houston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 12:29 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
yeah the city population But not the metro and plus for over 2 million people chicago city limits is much smaller Houston annexed so much land to get there 2 million If alot of citys citys limits were over 600 sq miles they would compete or yet pass houston
I wasn't talking population.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:54 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,660 times
Quote:
I wasn't talking population.
Well thats the only way i see it other than that i dont see it Houston can even get mass transit together chicago looks bigger and feels bigger

Old 01-01-2009, 02:40 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Well thats the only way i see it other than that i dont see it Houston can even get mass transit together chicago looks bigger and feels bigger
That's because it is bigger. Chicago has a larger economy and a larger infrastructure. It's mass transit systems crushes Houston and is now starting to regain it's population in the metro and in the city and the momentum could lead to sun belt type levels of growing 80,000-100,000 people per year in a few years.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:00 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Quote:
Actually, only Philly would have a larger population if all the cities annexed land to get get to 600 sq miles around them (besides NYC, LA and Chicago)

Old 01-01-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Actually, only Philly would have a larger population if all the cities annexed land to get get to 600 sq miles around them (besides NYC, LA and Chicago)
Detroit would be larger as well.

This is a post from another poster on another board. This list just proves the irrelevancy of city population numbers.
Quote:
if Atlanta were the size of Houston, it woud have 1.89 million in 601.3 sq. mi. However, that's actually tiny compared to most cities. Atlanta would barely rank in the top 20.

1. New York - ~10 million
2. Los Angeles - ~6 million
3. Chicago - ~ 5.5 million
4. San Francisco - 4.3 million
5. Philadelphia - ~4 million
6. Miami - 3.8 million
7. Washington - 3.1 million
8. Detroit - 3.0 million
9. Boston - 2.8 million
10. Dallas - 2.8 million
11. Houston - 2.7 million
12. Phoenix - 2.6 million
13. San Diego - 2.5 million
14. Seattle - 2.3 million
15. Denver - 2.1 million
16. Cleveland - 2.1 million
17. San Bernardino - 2.1 million
18. Minneapolis - 2.0 million
19. Baltimore - 2.0 million
20. Atlanta - 1.9 million
and this is how he did it.
Quote:
he List was compiled using Census Tracts. Basically I ranked all of the Census Tracts in a metro (and sometimes multiple metros) and whittled them down to an area that was closest to 600 square miles based on density.

Last edited by Spade; 01-01-2009 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: ranking

Old 01-01-2009, 04:00 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

This is a post from another poster on another board. This list just proves the irrelevancy of city population numbers.

Well you have to factor in undeveloped land, flood plains, oil fields (majority of Houston's east side) and more. It's more than just adding extra square miles to city and saying this would be the population isn't going to cut it.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Well you have to factor in undeveloped land, flood plains, oil fields (majority of Houston's east side) and more. It's more than just adding extra square miles to city and saying this would be the population isn't going to cut it.
This maybe true. But you use the stats that you got and since people do not live there, it's still unfortunately counted against Houston's size. Besides, who says that any other city with that much amount of square miles wouldn't have open space, flood plains, and water? Houston is not alone in this. Just about every city with that many square miles has open land or undeveloped land inside the city limits. Even LA which is physically very big has areas inside the city limits that are not developed.

Basically, what this shows is how irrelevant city population numbers really are.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:20 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

This can't be valid. If you take Boston and it's surrounding county (Middlesex) you would have a population of 2 million in about 800 sq miles. Same with a number of those other cities. That other guy just picked random census tracts to come up with those numbers. You have to take the land immediately aroung the city itself to come up with a Houston type example. detroit is another city here that proves that poster wrong. Wayne county which incldes detroit is 614 sq miles and is only 1.9 million.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:26 PM

990 posts, read 3,186,841 times
I worry about Houston for more than one reason. I wonder what will happen to Houston, if the oil industry collapses or is replaced by some eco friendly fuel. I think the city needs to diversify there economy a little more.

I also worry about Houston and Hurricanes, it's only a matter of time before the "real" big one happens. Sure there have been close calls, and there was Ike in 2008. It is only a matter of time before another Katrina or Wilma bears down on the Gulf Coast, and if it follows Ike's track then Houston may be the next New Orleans. Otherwise I think Houston is really shaping up to be a nice city, I have been a little shocked by some of the great pics I have seen and it looks really nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.