Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 02:15 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,839,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
Lol well it's time to adapt.

She was up north--SHE should have adapted to the way we talk then lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 02:20 PM

304 posts, read 901,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I'm from TN, but I have a friend from up North and he says that people down here like to make small talk, while people up North don't.
see what im saying though...."north" and "south" people care way too much what the others do

Old 01-01-2009, 03:20 PM

835 posts, read 2,296,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
She was up north--SHE should have adapted to the way we talk then lol.
I stand corrected.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:24 PM

290 posts, read 634,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
hmm

i noticed from these forums:

people from everywhere but the west/california seem to care about "northerners" and "southerners" and how they act/what they do

people from "the north" and "the south" are always picking at each others slow/fast pace, friendlyness factor..

no one from california really gives two craps about anywhere outside ur state in podunk united states like new york state and other crappy nasty weather places

we dont really care if "people wave to you on the street" from a southerner perspective...or "people get to the point around here" like northerners

we are just like "whatever....who cares? u both are irrelevant" to us
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u16/gregg1971/non-animated%20gifs/chillpill.gif (broken link)

Old 01-01-2009, 05:36 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsqueezer View Post
Is the tendency to add an "apostrophe-s" on non plural words a Michigan thing? Midwestern?

For example: "I worked at Ford's for 30 years" or "We went to Target's to get shampoo".

All my relatives shop regularly at Kmart's and get their prescriptions filled at Rite-Aid's.
Weird, huh?

Julia
I have known people from Michigan who talk like that.

The car horn thing is a regional issue and also an urban/rural thing, I think. In Colorado, it is rarely done except as a warning, e.g. someone is about to hit you. In Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh area) and Illinois (Champaign/Chicago areas), people use their horns with abandon. Also in Albany, NY.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:55 PM

5,496 posts, read 9,434,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I'm from TN, but I have a friend from up North and he says that people down here like to make small talk, while people up North don't. Example, if i'm walking to class and I pass by someone that I know well or even barely know I will say "Hey, how are you doing" then they usually say "fine" and I say "That's good, i'll see ya later" and we go our separate ways. I find it hard to believe that that's not common outside of the South. Do people do this where you live?
Here in NE Ohio, we have similar interaction, but it's shorter. I might say:"Hey!" (or "Hi," "Hello," "Good morning," etc.) And, they will say: "Hey!" (or "Hi," "Hello," "Good morning," etc.) back.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:55 PM

23,310 posts, read 43,763,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
see what im saying though...."north" and "south" people care way too much what the others do
For someone that is so 'above' the argument, you certainly do post a lot on the subject.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:00 PM

3,643 posts, read 10,692,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Here in NE Ohio, we have similar interaction, but it's shorter. I might say:"Hey!" (or "Hi," "Hello," "Good morning," etc.) And, they will say: "Hey!" (or "Hi," "Hello," "Good morning," etc.) back.
Oh, i see. Yeah, people here always say "how are you?" and the other person always responds "good" even if they're having the worst day of their life.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:30 AM

835 posts, read 2,296,304 times
I seem to have noticed that sometimes Southerners (I could be wrong) will fold their arms(which is actually a sign of defensiveness) more than someone from another region just in general conversation or sitting back.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:56 PM

7 posts, read 30,308 times
Up here in Northern California it's common for people to use the word "hella" by way of exaggeration.

Example: That movie was hella awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.