Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 07:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

REviewers at Amazon.com virtually all thought it was terrible...
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Worst Towns in the USA
. . .horribly proof-read, full of typos, incomprehensible text, captionless photos, and sitting on overstock counters at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 10:32 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Stupid. Can't have a city-bash book without including Houston (or anywhere in Texas for that matter, unless it's Austin of course <gag> )

But wait... looking inside the cover on Amazon, it says 50 major cities were randomly chosen. That explains it I suppose...

Old 12-28-2008, 12:36 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,962,588 times
Some of the most welcoming people I've ever met were from Kearny, New Jersey, so....... I disagree.
A mix of old school Irish & new school Hispanics getting along like peanut butter & jelly is a good thing in my book.
Maybe the author was looking for a soy latte cafe & got upset because he could not find one. I can understand how that would upset a yuppie though.......................

Old 12-28-2008, 12:52 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times
I do agree with the authors choice of Truth or Consequences,New Mexico, this is the only town in NM that makes me feel uncomfortable, well one of the only, anyways the town seems like a ghost town, not many people around and the ones that are around are old health nuts,dirty locals,rednecks or wannabe gangstas, I even saw a confederate flag hanging outside someones window on their house displaying it proudly. It reminds me of a cult town.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:41 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
What's so bad about Roosevelt island in NYC? It's a tiny, urban island that's part of Manhattan, but not as crowded and busy as the actual island of Manhattan.
That's the same thing I was thinking! It is just a tiny island that is a part of Manhattan.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:17 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
I'm not sure what this guys criterea is. I think he sent out spies to random cities to get a negative report on it. I don't think he visited any of those cities and he doesn't even give his "crew" any credit in the book. Don't buy it, don't read it. It's a fraud. He is just trying to make America look bad. I bought it at first because I thought it was humorous but he is dissing on inocent cities and towns. I have never heard of Roby, Texas and why would you diss a town of 900 people in the middle of nowhere? There are many other towns just like Roby. Ellsworth, Kansas is one of my favorite small towns in central Kansas. There are so many more Kansan towns that should be on there instead, like South Hutchinson, or Maize. Point is, he chose random cities that he knew nothing about and made a wierd list that doesn't make any sense.
If Moriarity, New Mexico isn't on it, it's got to be a fraud.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-28-2008, 09:51 AM

910 posts, read 2,985,144 times
I think he should of atleast put East St. Louis in the book if he can find someway to diss Branson. Same goes with Highland Park, Michigan. Smack dab in the middle of Detroit and has some of the most poverty stricken neighborhoods in the Detroit area.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:23 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,690,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Strange to see Des Moines.

No crime, no traffic, growing like weeds, good schools, towards the top of almost every "where to start a business" "where to raise kids" "best medium sized cities" "best places to live" lists...
And if Des Moines is there, why not Omaha too? They're practically Twins. What a crazy list.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:40 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,586,936 times
Truth or Consequences, NM is cool. It has that Southwestern-frontier-trailer-park-town vibe to it.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:52 PM

910 posts, read 2,985,144 times
Yeah that's deffinantly a cool seen. HA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.