Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fav Metro City
NYC 20 27.03%
LA 9 12.16%
Phili 9 12.16%
Chi Town 22 29.73%
Houston 14 18.92%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 02:36 PM

187 posts, read 524,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
Boston/Providence is not a metro area. You go through miles and miles of absolutely nothing in between the cities. Boston is extremely compact and does not suffer large urban sprawl. Providence is way too far for this to be considered a metro area. At least DC/Baltimore connect.

Washington/Baltimore isn't a metro area either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 02:53 PM

208 posts, read 633,772 times
Gotta love LA for all of the different attractions (Disney, Universal, Hollywood, etc) and it's really fun.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:07 PM

367 posts, read 1,285,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeneverywheretwice View Post
Oh yeah. Washington and Baltimore are two different cities that are next to each other. Both Washington and Baltimore suburbs connect to each other, forming the Washington/Baltimore CSA metro. The fourth largest CSA metro. With the way the economy is so strong in the DC metro area, I bet the 2010 census will bring the Washington/Baltimore metro to over 9 million.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:31 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeneverywheretwice View Post

If you look at Grapico's list, they are all CSA's, except for some metros on the list that may not be parts of CSA's. It seems to me that MSA population usually gives the best approximation of the size of a population center. MSA population is not perfect, but it probably comes the closest of any single stat of giving a good indication of how large or small or middling a city effectively is. Still, at least Grapico's list uses the same category for all areas to which CSA applies, so that, for the largest population centers at least, that list is not an apples-oranges comparison.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:44 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalnet View Post
Oh yeah. Washington and Baltimore are two different cities that are next to each other. Both Washington and Baltimore suburbs connect to each other, forming the Washington/Baltimore CSA metro. The fourth largest CSA metro. With the way the economy is so strong in the DC metro area, I bet the 2010 census will bring the Washington/Baltimore metro to over 9 million.
If Baltimore and Washingtons suburbs connect, If San Jose and SF's suburbs interconnect then Philadelphia + NYC definitely do as well. I'm proclaiming the Philadelphia-NYC cmsa (30 million)the biggest in the country and perhaps the world. There huh how do you like them apples?

Old 12-29-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Eff this. If Baltimore and Washingtons suburbs connect, If San Jose and SF's suburbs interconnect then Philadelphia + NYC definitely do as well. I'm proclaiming the Philadelphia-NYC cmsa (30 million)the biggest in the country and perhaps the world. There huh how do you like them apples?
Dude, from North East DC to Baltimore city, it's like 30 miles. From Philly to NYC, it's 83 miles. Plus, Philly suburbs do not connect with NYC suburbs.

If we use your logic, then Boston, NYC, Philly, Baltimore, and DC form one combined metro. Now that is not logical at all.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:27 PM

Snap out of it gang. These combined metroes are a marketing gimmick. Deception,contrivance,false bravado to appear bigger and better than you actually are.

Washington was in the middle of the pack for the last 2 centuries as far as metroes were concerned so they say hmmm how can we appear more important, how can we compete with the big boys? Hey lets add Baltimores 2.5 m people and we'll take some territory from West Va., we'll go 80 miles N to PA lol I mean its a joke. Its a scam to put an area on the map. But hey it looks like its working so who am I to argue.

Meanwhile A legitimate core metro like one that grew around Detroit has come to a screeching halt, perhaps Detroit needed agimmick too, they should have tried to the scam the Detroit-Toronto metro.I dont know why Philadlephia doesnt try to sell the Philadelphia Allentown Lancaster Atlantic City metro. 10 million people Why not everyone else is doing it.

Washington-Baltimore metro

Fredericksburg Va. to Havre De Grace Md.

Total Estimated Time: 2 hours 35 minutes
Total Estimated Distance: 135.69 miles

NYC-Philadelphia metro

NYC NY to Philadelphia Pa.

Total Estimated Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Total Estimated Distance: 89 miles

These maps will be exceptionally helpful to people who can interpret the metro boundaries of each region. Notice the compactness of the dark green in the immediate Philadelphia metro as compared to the propensity of light green in WashDC metro. Philadlelphia 11 counties Washington-Baltimore 28 counties.

And as you can see the NYC and Philadlephia metroes do in fact connect in Central Jersey

Old 12-29-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Snap out of it gang. These combined metroes are a marketing gimmick. Deception,contrivance,false bravado to appear bigger and better than you actually are.

Washington was in the middle of the pack for the last 2 centuries as far as metroes were concerned so they say hmmm how can we appear more important, how can we compete with the big boys? Hey lets add Baltimores 2.5 m people and we'll take some territory from West Va., we'll go 80 miles N to PA lol I mean its a joke. Its a scam to put an area on the map. But hey it looks like its working so who am I to argue.

Meanwhile A legitimate core metro like one that grew around Detroit has come to a screeching halt, perhaps Detroit needed agimmick too, they should have tried to the scam the Detroit-Toronto metro.

NYC-Philadelphia metro

These maps will be exceptionally helpful to people who can interpret the metro boundaries of each region. Notice the compactness of the dark green in the immediate Philadelphia metro as compared to the propensity of light green in WashDC metro. Philadlelphia 11 counties Washington-Baltimore 28 counties.

And as you can see the NYC and Philadlephia metroes do in fact connect in Central Jersey

Haaaahaaahaaa. Havre De Grace Md is a suburb of Philly. Haaaahaaaa. Haaahaaaahaaahahhahaha!! That's on the border of the PA line. Haaahahahaha!!

All I can say is, when I'm in Philly, I know it anit no NYC. When I'm in NYC, I laugh at the though of Philly trying to claim a piece of NYC - because it aint!

When I'm in Baltimore, I know downtown DC is a short drive away. When I'm in DC, and I feel like a Baltimore mood, I know it's a short drive away.

But if I'm in Philly and in need of a big city feel, then I'm going to make a trip to NYC and I pack up my bags.

I don't know how many time we've decided to have lunch at the Baltimore harbor leaving DC. Then returning back to work in DC. I realize that's a little long lunch, but it's not that bad. I would never decide to have a lunch in NYC leaving Philly. Then to return back to work in Philly. Those trips can be done on the weekends, but not during lunch at work.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:

Meanwhile A legitimate core metro like one that grew around Detroit has come to a screeching halt, perhaps Detroit needed agimmick too, they should have tried to the scam the Detroit-Toronto metro.I dont know why Philadlephia doesnt try to sell the Philadelphia Allentown Lancaster Atlantic City metro. 10 million people Why not everyone else is doing it.

NYC-Philadelphia metro

I just thought of a solution for you. It's a really easy solution to your problem.

Just pick up your bags and move to NYC. Problem solved. Then you don't need to waste any time on city-data explaining your conspiracy theories. Plus you'll be too busy with all the stuff to do in NYC.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalnet View Post
Haaaahaaahaaa. Havre De Grace Md is a suburb of Philly. Haaaahaaaa. Haaahaaaahaaahahhahaha!! That's on the border of the PA line. Haaahahahaha!!
You're confused.

Looks like the laugh is on you chief. Havre De Grace is located in Harford County(Baltimore metro) Acoording to you that would be Washington-Baltimore metro. So ehh NO , hopefully you get the drift Havre De Grace should not be in the same metro as Fredericksburg VA which is 135 miles south.

Theres metro Washington DC and there is metro Baltimore. Singularly they are lost, put a little spin on it, wrap em up pin a bow tie on it and we'll say we're the 4th largest in the country.Who cares if theres 5,000 sq. miles of undeveloped land mixed in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.