Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 02:54 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,207,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Oops-forgot to mention. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned New Orleans. I just got back from there for the holidays. It truely is a gem. I question some folk's tastes on this thread.
Haha wow, me too. Where'd you stay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 03:12 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:
Oops-forgot to mention. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned New Orleans. I just got back from there for the holidays. It truely is a gem. I question some folk's tastes on this thread.
Definitely..One should at least go once in their lifetime. The food, people, charm and architecture are out of this world.

What other city takes an old funeral home and converts it into a Border's? Only in NOLA.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:12 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Haha wow, me too. Where'd you stay?

I haven't been there post-Katrina so I wanted the full flavor and opted for the French Quarter about a block off of Bourbon on Ursuline.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I haven't been there post-Katrina so I wanted the full flavor and opted for the French Quarter about a block off of Bourbon on Ursuline.
Very nice. It was my first time in NOLA. Really liked it there.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:59 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
The only places I have no interest in visiting are those very backwards areas of any state where the people are

1) inbred
2) still fighting the Civil War
3) uneducated, uncivilized, and ghetto
4) too rural and isolated
5) as superficial, plastic, and pathetic as Orange County, CA appears
6) white trash or hillbilly or redneck
7) mainly Republican/Conservative/Neocon
8) living in a high crime area
Yeah, those inbreds are everywhere. Seriously, you need to shut that TV off once in a while and get out of your bubble.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:14 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Very nice. It was my first time in NOLA. Really liked it there.
I was down there a year ago, just 2 days and 1 night. Stayed at a little inn in the Garden District, a block from St Chas Ave. Wish I could've stayed longer! Beautiful city, great people!

Where'd you stay, JHG722? What did you do?

Old 12-31-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I was down there a year ago, just 2 days and 1 night. Stayed at a little inn in the Garden District, a block from St Chas Ave. Wish I could've stayed longer! Beautiful city, great people!

Where'd you stay, JHG722? What did you do?
Ritz Carlton on Canal. A lot of walking around, went to Cafe Du Monde, which was fantastic. Had some of the best meals of my life. Went to a plantation around an hour outside of NOLA which was very interesting.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:39 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Default I loved NOLA!

Quote:
Ritz Carlton on Canal. A lot of walking around, went to Cafe Du Monde, which was fantastic. Had some of the best meals of my life. Went to a plantation around an hour outside of NOLA which was very interesting.
I went to duMonde also. A great experience, loved the biegnet. I also ate at some local (non-tourist) inexpensive restaurants along St. Charles and up on Lake Ponch. Immersed myself in red beans, anadoille (sp?) sausage, grits, boiled shrimp and jambolaya. And Abita Springs beer! Took the streetcar out to City Park and walked around it and the surrounding neighborhood (ghost town experience!) Struck up some great conversations with the natives. Got called "dawlin'" by a waitress. Bought pralines in the FQ for my wife. Probably the most fun 1.5 day + 1 night trip I ever took (actually, I was passing thru on the long way back home from visiting family in Tallahassee).

Old 01-01-2009, 11:42 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Anywhere in the South, which includes Florida where I now have to live.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:53 AM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Quote:
Yes, for flavor, NO has more to the square mile than just about anywhere else. I guess some people just like those nice, but blander venues. Speaks volumes about the kind of person that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.