Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 09:45 AM

80 posts, read 326,601 times

Advertisements

We are a family with four children seeking a very affordable, yet still nice and safe place to live. Does any one know of a friendly place where homes are very inexpensive (around 150,000 or less) and schools are still good? My husband would be seeking a position as an automotive service advisor. There are not too many jobs in his field in places where homes are more affordable. Because of our budget, we are not too picky, in terms of weather and such. If we had a choice, we would choose a place in the country with beautiful scenery and outdoorsy things to do. I tend to like country living more than city living, but we do enjoy visits to zoos and museums every once in a while. If any one has any ideas, we sure would appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 01:11 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,559,082 times
Dallas Texas

Old 12-31-2008, 02:00 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,468,595 times
You could defiantly find something in that range in the Louisville KY area, including in nearby Oldham County, which has the best public schools in the state.

Some Oldham County pics

A second place to look would be Boone County in Northern Kentucky, across from Cincinnati.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:15 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,208,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
You could defiantly find something in that range in the Louisville KY area, including in nearby Oldham County, which has the best public schools in the state.
Crestwood

Old 12-31-2008, 02:15 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,713,261 times
You might like Rapid City. It has about 80,000 people, it's easy to find a nice 3 bedroom house for 125-175K, and there's plenty to with the Black Hills being so close.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:55 PM

93,247 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Try Syracuse NY. You can get a really nice house for that price range here. i'm talking about a nice suburban area too. You can live pretty much anywhere in the area and be in a good school district. Here's some information:City of Syracuse

Welcome to Onondaga County, New York

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2007&county=Onondaga (broken link)

CNYHomes - the Syracuse and Central New York Real Estate Source

CNYREALTOR.COM | #1 in Syracuse real estate and homes for sale. Search over 6,000 listings.

Central New York Jobs

daVinci Jobs of Central and Upstate New York - Syracuse Area Professional Careers in Engineering, Health Care, Sales, Telecommunications, Education, and Much More

Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau

Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are also other nice areas in Upstate NY like Ithaca, Saratoga Springs, Binghamton, Rochester, Buffalo, Albany, Orange County and Plattsburgh/Adirondacks.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:11 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,918,611 times
I second Kentucky. It really is one of the best bargains in the country. KY have some of the lowest home prices and tax rates in the US, paired with some really nice towns and cities. There are also a number of quaint small cities in West Virginia that may be worth a look. And maybe Eastern TN, like around the Knoxville area?

These three states seem to have the best mix of affordability, low taxes, large towns / small cities, and good natural scenery.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:50 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
According to The Tax Foundation, Kentucky is right in the middle for its over all tax burden, 25th in the country. New Jersey and New York are the two states with the highest tax burdens. Here are the bottom 10:

Arizona 8.5%
Louisiana 8.4
Texas 8.4
Tennessee 8.3
South Dakota 7.9
New Hampshire 7.6
Florida 7.4
Wyoming 7.0
Nevada 6.6
Alaska 6.4

Of those states, Texas undoubtedly has the best economy. I would imagine that any small town within an hour or so of the major cities in Texas should have reasonable housing prices as well as good job opportunities.

Here in East Tennessee there are several places with decent job markets, low housing costs, good schools, and beautiful backdrops. (And, of course, low taxes.)

Dandridge, founded in 1783, about 30 minutes from Knoxville, located right on a big lake, and the only town in America named for George Washington's wife.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/LauraCapo/Tennessee%20October%202007/ORICL_Trip101007_060a-1.jpg (broken link)

Lenoir City, on the western fringe of Knoxville's fast-growing suburbs and located on another huge lake:

Jonesborough, Tennessee's oldest town, located in the Tri Cities metro area of NE TN and SW VA. The 3 larger cities are Bristol, Johnson City, and Kingsport. The Tri Cities has a low unemployment rate and is absolutely gorgeous.

Johnson City

Kingsport

Old 01-02-2009, 08:41 AM

80 posts, read 326,601 times
Those are beautiful pictures. I am definitely checking out Tennessee! Thanks to all who have replied. I am going to get busy doing research on those areas mentioned. I guess the main deciding factor will be where my husband can get the best job.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:09 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,931,823 times
Nice pictures I agree with Syracuse and upstate NY in general. If you don't mind colder weather, that would be a good fit. The cost of living is very cheap. Except the taxes are high, but it balances out I think with the COL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.