Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 07:16 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,341,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
^^but 60 is still Missouri, and I have also seen rebel flags in most parts of the state south of I-70. I even see them in the Kansas City area somewhat regularly.

I've also lived in Tennessee and Alabama, in addition to my 20+ years in Arkansas. I have been to most every place in the south except the far-eastern coastal states from Maryland, to South Carolina. AR is no different in the number of rebel flags from what I've seen.
Arkansas is extremely southern.
There may have been some anti-confederate leanings during the Civil War, but there's little doubt to which part of the country Arkansas aligns itself with.
Whatever gave you the idea of me arguing that Arkansas wasn't part of the South? I completely agree with you, Arkansas is 100% Southern. Rebel flags in most parts of Missouri south of I-70? That I strongly disagree with, and I have driven in detail a lot of the Southern half. I've seen a number of rebel flags, but not in the extraordinary quantities you are describing. I saw none in the Southeastern half of the state, which I have virtually all but almost completely explored, and didn't see any in Springfield except at the Battle of Wilson's Creek memorial or in Joplin. Yes 60 is still in Missouri...it's just barely in it though, not sure why you are so agitated by my statement. Also, I've been to Kansas City numerous times...my dad has clients there and has been going there for over 25 years. I just asked him if he'd ever seen them...he's seen a few, not many. The only ones I've personally ever seen there are the ones at that Civil War Memorial. In the St. Louis area, I've only seen one in the 22 years I've lived here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 09:31 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,499,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Exactly. This is the reason why the Great Lakes states are called the Midwest. At that time, they were Western states.
Yup! And MN, where I live, is considered a Midwestern state, but not too long ago, it was still being referred to as the "Northwest"!

Old 01-05-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
That's still very far south in Missouri. Highway 60 is never more than 60 or so miles from the Missouri/Arkansas border except in the case of the bootheel, which technically should be a part of Arkansas anyway. I've certainly never seen very many Confederate flags around the Missouri Ozarks. In fact, I'm not sure if I've ever seen one unless it's been at a memorial for Confederate soldiers who died on Missouri soil, although it's probably not unreasonable to assume there are a number of people sporting them.
Not to stray from the subject, but why should the Bootheel be a part of AR? Why was the border drawn farther south in the SE corner of the state? Just curious!

Old 01-05-2009, 10:20 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,528,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Not to stray from the subject, but why should the Bootheel be a part of AR? Why was the border drawn farther south in the SE corner of the state? Just curious!
I remember watching something about this on the History Channel. When the border for Missouri was being drawn, it went through a prominent figure's land in the SE corner. The man wanted his land to be within one state, and he had enough influence to have the line redrawn to go south of his land.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Westerner92 has it exactly right.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:05 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,819,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Whatever gave you the idea of me arguing that Arkansas wasn't part of the South? I completely agree with you, Arkansas is 100% Southern. Rebel flags in most parts of Missouri south of I-70? That I strongly disagree with, and I have driven in detail a lot of the Southern half. I've seen a number of rebel flags, but not in the extraordinary quantities you are describing. I saw none in the Southeastern half of the state, which I have virtually all but almost completely explored, and didn't see any in Springfield except at the Battle of Wilson's Creek memorial or in Joplin. Yes 60 is still in Missouri...it's just barely in it though, not sure why you are so agitated by my statement. Also, I've been to Kansas City numerous times...my dad has clients there and has been going there for over 25 years. I just asked him if he'd ever seen them...he's seen a few, not many. The only ones I've personally ever seen there are the ones at that Civil War Memorial. In the St. Louis area, I've only seen one in the 22 years I've lived here.
As for Arkansas, I was referring to stormcrow's statements.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
As for Arkansas, I was referring to stormcrow's statements.
Oh ok, never mind then.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I remember watching something about this on the History Channel. When the border for Missouri was being drawn, it went through a prominent figure's land in the SE corner. The man wanted his land to be within one state, and he had enough influence to have the line redrawn to go south of his land.
Wow! Must've had a big spread! Cotton farmer, I'll bet...

Old 11-08-2009, 01:10 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,980,152 times
The difference between Southern & Midwestern, to me, is pretty much based on if most people in the region are Southern Baptists or not.

Missouri in general, except for St. Louis, is mostly Southern Baptists, making it Southern. St. Louis seems to be the most midwestern by far in most ways.

So, I'd say the Ozarks is southern.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:22 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,730,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The difference between Southern & Midwestern, to me, is pretty much based on if most people in the region are Southern Baptists or not.

Missouri in general, except for St. Louis, is mostly Southern Baptists, making it Southern. St. Louis seems to be the most midwestern by far in most ways.

So, I'd say the Ozarks is southern.
Then Louisiana isn't southern?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.