Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 02:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmors View Post
North Carolina has some of the prettiest beaches on the east coast, but they are prone to hurricanes.
And their coastal towns (the topic of this thread) are the most godawful ugly places on earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 02:25 PM

808 posts, read 3,647,501 times
Ocean2026, Rockport and Port Aransas are two of my favorite coastal towns as well. As far as Deep South Texas goes, Port Isabel can be nice...South Padre Island is a little too resort-feeling to me. Same with Galveston (though I do like Galveston's historic district - the Strand). Galveston also has Moody Gardens which really appeals to the science nerd in me.

Some of the towns in the Florida Panhandle are also quite nice...check out Gulf Breeze, FL next time you are in that area.

The Chesapeake Bay area is nice, too...different than the other areas we are discussing, because it's more of a fishing/boating area than a beach area, but the small towns definitely have a coastal vibe to them

Old 01-06-2009, 02:28 PM

127 posts, read 476,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
And their coastal towns (the topic of this thread) are the most godawful ugly places on earth.
No, that would be Galveston, TX.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:33 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,012,059 times
I think the most overlooked, and possibly steals of beaches would be St. Augustine, FL. and Flagler Beach, FL. Saint Augustine is full of overpriced ritzy areas, but also there are many affordable places in that area, and the town is beautiful. Also the Cape May area of New Jersey. The southern tip of NJ has some very freindly community like costal towns, and decient beaches at a lower cost than the more congested ones further north. South Padre Island is also on my list. The weather can get scorching there in the heat of the summer, but the springs, and falls are super plesant!

Old 01-06-2009, 03:00 PM

12,839 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I really like Bar Habor. That's a nice village-y type of small town on the coast. I went in the late fall, so it was pretty deserted, but still pretty nice considering it was empty and cold. I can imagine it's a lot nicer in the summer. You can also stop by L.L Bean It's also not far from the Village Candle factory (my favorite candle brand) Lots of places for me to go to in Maine when I'm vacationing there.
I guess all of the Maine Coast is beautiful. I really enjoy a weekend or so there (maybe a week) but not too much more. It's a little too quiet for my tastes.

I have only been to a few places on Long Island, but what I saw was really nice. It's beautiful. the Northern portion of the island reminds me a lot of Cape Cod and Southern New England's coast.

The islands in S.E. Mass are beautiful too. Nantucket and Martha's Vinyard... can't go wrong there.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:57 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I guess all of the Maine Coast is beautiful. I really enjoy a weekend or so there (maybe a week) but not too much more. It's a little too quiet for my tastes.

That's what's nice about it It's nice to get away from NYC sometimes and go somewhere quieter

Old 01-06-2009, 06:12 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Cape May, NJ is one of my favorites.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:38 PM

127 posts, read 476,221 times
I grew up in Savannah, GA and will always have a soft spot for Tybe Island (i.e. Savannah Beach).

Old 01-11-2009, 06:29 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Apparently you don't have any actual experience with N.C. coastal towns. There are many towns there that were founded during America's Colonial Period, like Wilmington, New Bern, Morehead City, Kitty Hawk, Edenton, Washington, Elizabeth City, Nags Head, Beaufort, Manteo...etc. The coastal cities and towns in N.C. are beautiful and historic, and haven't been overrun with hotel/vacation home development like some other coastal cities and beaches. There is a ton of pristine land, like the Outer Banks and Cape Hatteras National Seashore, and Ocracoke, Roanoke, Figure Eight, Emerald Isle, Bald Head, Topsail, and other barrier islands.

It's just irritating when someone makes such an ignorant comment for no real reason.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:46 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,241,926 times
We've been almost everywhere along the East Coast and our favorite places, in terms of weather and beauty of nature, are in the SC Lowcountry. A lot of them were already mentioned here.
We finally chose NE Florida (for retirement) because it's close to a big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.