Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you live in a gated community?
Yes, if I could afford it. 89 35.04%
No, I like traditional neighborhoods. 140 55.12%
I'm not sure.. 25 9.84%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 05:44 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times

Advertisements

Wow -- a ten year old thread.
No...I worked as a city planner and saw what they become. It partly has to do with the way they are designed and managed (I suppose there are exceptions) and partly with the people who choose to live there (ditto on exceptions). I know some Americans who live abroad in "compounds" inside countries where security could be an issue and it insulates them from the actual country they chose to live in. The same insulation along with a dose of fear and privilege seems to permeate gated communities. Why not live in a minimum security prison or some sort of military base? A lot of the security is an illusion...and a pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 12:03 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
It depends. If I lived in a major urban areas, I would prefer a gated community to be safe from crime and to offer more privacy, and these often means we have our own pools and gyms that only we can use and the gate can keep others out.

In a more rural area, a gated community would be needlessly elitist and not worth the price. My ideal living would be in a rural areas with lots of land where I can have bonfires, shoot guns, etc on my own land and be far away as long as I'm 30 minutes from town. My second kind of ideal life would be in a suburban gated community with friendly neighbors that know you.

When I lived in the Baltimore area, many apartment complex that were not fancy by any means were gated including the one I lived in. They did offer privacy and more safety. For example a criminal is less likely to break into a house behind a gate than a house they have much easier access to. If I lived in the New Orleans area again I would also look for a gated community unless I'm far enough from the city like on the Northshore.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:24 AM

136 posts, read 141,456 times
No!

The illusion of security is ridiculous. I can and have driven my car without having the right code or opener to let myself. In fact, when I had a job doing deliveries I would do it all the time.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
It depends. If I lived in a major urban areas, I would prefer a gated community to be safe from crime and to offer more privacy, and these often means we have our own pools and gyms that only we can use and the gate can keep others out.

In a more rural area, a gated community would be needlessly elitist and not worth the price. My ideal living would be in a rural areas with lots of land where I can have bonfires, shoot guns, etc on my own land and be far away as long as I'm 30 minutes from town. My second kind of ideal life would be in a suburban gated community with friendly neighbors that know you.

When I lived in the Baltimore area, many apartment complex that were not fancy by any means were gated including the one I lived in. They did offer privacy and more safety. For example a criminal is less likely to break into a house behind a gate than a house they have much easier access to. If I lived in the New Orleans area again I would also look for a gated community unless I'm far enough from the city like on the Northshore.

Oh A gated apartment complex, let me see:
1.Did someone prop open the gate with a rock, you know while they were carrying stuff in/out.
2.Using the intercom box and get somebody--anybody! "I am making a delivery to Apt 203, but they are not answering, can you please buzz me in."
3. Don't look sketchy.
How is that for gated apt security. The illusion of safety.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
We do now.
The good news is: I am not a criminal, the bad news, well will it take me 1 min or 5 min to get inside your gated community.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:52 PM

68 posts, read 71,144 times
Absolutely not. First, I'd never live in an area I felt was so dangerous such things were needed. Second, I won't live anywhere with an HOA, which I'm pretty sure rules out any gated communities.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:21 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
Question! Would you live in a gated community? -Why Or Why Not?!
No. There's not much freedom from fear and stress living in them.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:24 PM

75 posts, read 89,741 times
As someone who voted for Donald Trump, yes, I would definitely be willing to live in a gated community. Lol.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:25 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
Question! Would you live in a gated community? -Why Or Why Not?!
Disney World would be nice.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:27 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I agree with all of the above, plus gated communities usually equal homeowners associations and cookie cutter homes.
Maybe where you live.

I'd prefer a gated community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.