Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

23 year old marketing graduate seeking American city similar to Toronto, Montreal, Sunderland, liberal views, enjoy clubs, deep discussions other than reality television

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 10:29 PM

935 posts, read 2,410,952 times

Advertisements

I'm a 23 year old marketing assistant who graduated with *** laude honors in Communications and I am currently working on getting a masters in Marketing Communications (which includes classes in PR, Advertising, and media). I would love to work in the PR, Journalism, and/or Media field and I love socializing and traveling and while I'm an independent I have liberal views in terms of social issues.

I spent most of my life living in the conservative South, but I lived in Sunderland, England for 6 months and fell in love with the city. I loved going to clubs that played more than just pop/rap music, I loved talking to people that discussed more important issues than reality television or NASCAR, and I loved the idea that I could hang out with friends who did not ditch me the seconed that a guy entered their life (which has been quite common in my area of the South) and where people did not say "You're 23! You need to get married and have kids before you become an old maid!" Now, not all Southerners are like that, but where I currently live at the people are friendly but very conservative and there is very little opportunity in terms of employment, socializing, or dating.

I love America, but some of the places where I had the most fun were in Toronto, Montreal, and Sunderland. They were very social, the people were not as worried about crime, they talked about politics and traveling, and they were less judgemental. I tried moving to Washington DC, but plans fell through when I became uncertain about whether or not my roommates would be able to actually pay their portion of the rent (and it turns one of them may not have paid). I lived in Seattle for a few months, but the people I met--not everyone just some--seemed to be sort of anti-social or did not want to talk to a friendly southerner with liberal ideas. Plus, the job market in my fields were pretty slow.

I'm looking for an American city that is pretty similar to Toronto, Sunderland, or even Vancouver. A city with a great social scene full of intelligent people that are also friendly and willing to meet new people; good job opportunities for someone whose young and wants to work in PR, Journalism, Media, or even Marketing work; has some good transportation and even an airport since I like to travel; and a city where you can walk the streets and not feel as though you'll be shot at every corner. I know no city is perfect and I have also heard that most shootings are targeted and not random, so I'm not looking for a Garden of Eden, but since I am single and female I would like a city where I can walk around at night in safer areas every once in a while without people having a heart attack.

I am currently working to save at least $10,000 in start-up cash and I plan on moving by myself since I'm sort of a rarity within my area of the South. I also plan on building a list of cities and then narrowing it down to a few where I can then travel to these cities and see which one I prefer instead of moving right into the city and then realizing that it has poor employment opportunities or that people are anti-social. I also plan on trying to get a job within the area before moving there b/c of the currently poor job market. I'm just trying to get some ideas ahead of time.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm really determined to find a great place to live within the U.S. I found some wonderful places outside of the U.S., but if I can find those features within the U.S. that would be great as well. Any ideas?

Edit: Sorry, had to move this b/c I didn't know it should go into the General U.S. thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 10:57 PM

694 posts, read 2,651,212 times
23... huh... wow ...it's gonna be tough placing someone
that old who is still single.

Gotta tell ya two places popped in my head right away.
Can't say if they're right for you or not but here they are,
your useless psychic hotline says.... Austin or Syracuse.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danco View Post
23... huh... wow ...it's gonna be tough placing someone
that old who is still single.

Gotta tell ya two places popped in my head right away.
Can't say if they're right for you or not but here they are,
your useless psychic hotline says.... Austin or Syracuse.
LOL! What can I say, I break all the rules in the South . Austin sounds sort of interesting since I was born in Galveston and I heard that it's one of the most liberal places in Texas (irony ). Hmmm...I also like how close Syracuse is to Toronto. It's not as close as Buffalo, but still. Um...are the people in Syracuse friendly and social? I've only been to NYC and I have some friends and a former roommate from the NYC area. Some of them were really nice, like the ones from Chinatown and Queens, while others like my roommate were a bit blunt to the point of being very offensive.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:12 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
I'm a 23 year old marketing assistant who graduated with *** laude honors in Communications and I am currently working on getting a masters in Marketing Communications (which includes classes in PR, Advertising, and media). I would love to work in the PR, Journalism, and/or Media field and I love socializing and traveling and while I'm an independent I have liberal views in terms of social issues.

I spent most of my life living in the conservative South, but I lived in Sunderland, England for 6 months and fell in love with the city. I loved going to clubs that played more than just pop/rap music, I loved talking to people that discussed more important issues than reality television or NASCAR, and I loved the idea that I could hang out with friends who did not ditch me the seconed that a guy entered their life (which has been quite common in my area of the South) and where people did not say "You're 23! You need to get married and have kids before you become an old maid!" Now, not all Southerners are like that, but where I currently live at the people are friendly but very conservative and there is very little opportunity in terms of employment, socializing, or dating.

I love America, but some of the places where I had the most fun were in Toronto, Montreal, and Sunderland. They were very social, the people were not as worried about crime, they talked about politics and traveling, and they were less judgemental. I tried moving to Washington DC, but plans fell through when I became uncertain about whether or not my roommates would be able to actually pay their portion of the rent (and it turns one of them may not have paid). I lived in Seattle for a few months, but the people I met--not everyone just some--seemed to be sort of anti-social or did not want to talk to a friendly southerner with liberal ideas. Plus, the job market in my fields were pretty slow.

I'm looking for an American city that is pretty similar to Toronto, Sunderland, or even Vancouver. A city with a great social scene full of intelligent people that are also friendly and willing to meet new people; good job opportunities for someone whose young and wants to work in PR, Journalism, Media, or even Marketing work; has some good transportation and even an airport since I like to travel; and a city where you can walk the streets and not feel as though you'll be shot at every corner. I know no city is perfect and I have also heard that most shootings are targeted and not random, so I'm not looking for a Garden of Eden, but since I am single and female I would like a city where I can walk around at night in safer areas every once in a while without people having a heart attack.

I am currently working to save at least $10,000 in start-up cash and I plan on moving by myself since I'm sort of a rarity within my area of the South. I also plan on building a list of cities and then narrowing it down to a few where I can then travel to these cities and see which one I prefer instead of moving right into the city and then realizing that it has poor employment opportunities or that people are anti-social. I also plan on trying to get a job within the area before moving there b/c of the currently poor job market. I'm just trying to get some ideas ahead of time.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm really determined to find a great place to live within the U.S. I found some wonderful places outside of the U.S., but if I can find those features within the U.S. that would be great as well. Any ideas?

Edit: Sorry, had to move this b/c I didn't know it should go into the General U.S. thread.
Boston.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:26 PM

694 posts, read 2,651,212 times
Oh yeah Boston sounds good too.

Not sure about opportunities in Syracuse,
but the few people I have met from there were great.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:16 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,081,286 times
People in central NY are cordial but I've found people in the Buffalo area to be friendlier. Not sure about job opportunities in your field in either area though.

You might try northern New England. People in Vermont are pretty friendly and you may like Burlington because it is so close to Montreal.

And your assessment that Americans are more judgmental than in the cities you've visited outside of the USA is spot on. New Englanders are probably less judgmental than most in the country at least based upon my experiences. The most judgmental have been people in the Midwest and in particular the Kansas City region and Omaha. Avoid both of those areas...

Old 01-04-2009, 09:51 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,999 times
Boston, NYC, or Chicago

Old 01-04-2009, 09:56 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,556,580 times
Seattle and Portland sound like your kind of cities:
Seattle's Convention and Visitors Bureau
Portland Visitors & Tourist Information - Travel Portland

Old 01-04-2009, 10:04 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
What about Atlanta? It's southern, but nothing like the 'South' that you describe. There are tons of twentysomething singletons here, and you would no doubt enjoy the neighborhoods of:

Midtown
Virginia-Highland
Inman Park
Candler Park
Decatur

All walkable neighborhoods with a good share of people in your demographic.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:20 PM

Thanks for your advice so far . I see a few people recommend Boston . I have a friend in Boston so I might talk to him about it. I heard Portland has a good music scene that used to exist in Seattle. I did try to live in Seattle for a couple of months, but the people I met there were not really into socializing or going out and meeting new people. Then again, that could have been just the luck of the draw for me.

I'm mostly worried about finding a place with a good social environment, not as judgemental, and with a strong communications-related employment base (PR, Media, Journalism, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.