Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 06:30 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
nope sorry I still don't know
click this link. Look at the end of the 4th paragraph. It's a comment that's very similar to what I and houstoner is saying.
The Link

Old 01-07-2009, 07:23 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
don't know, since i don't believe texas is the "most" misunderstood or "least" understood state.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:25 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
click this link. Look at the end of the 4th paragraph. It's a comment that's very similar to what I and houstoner is saying.
The Link
guess you've never heard of sarcasm...

Old 01-07-2009, 08:12 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
See what I mean. Werent you just offended by that statement. If you were from Texas everybody would have jumped on you like a starving man on a christmas ham. They would have criticized you on how "Texans cant take a joke" and talked about the "egotistical Texan" even though you werent being egotistical. Im not saying you were wrong in getting mad, (you have every right to) im just comparing and contrasting between when a New Yorker and Texan get angry.
I see what you mean and I been following some of the things you been saying. I actually rated you the other day and now it says I have to spread it around.

I actually went overboard in my response. Not very cool. Sometimes the best thing to do is ignore something you do not agree with. Still I am not sure if it was a joke (especially when I saw his/her response) as more as a way to spread a common stereotype about New Yorkers. There are 19 million of us and we do not collectively enforce anything lol.

Why he/she posted that anyway on a thread that is supposed to be about why Texas is misunderstood is beyond me. I actually sympathize with Texas on this, although the problem I think is less Texas is misunderstood - as why is Texas so unknown.

The school system is not that great in this country and tv is almost pure entertainment (even much of the news media). Its not suprising that most people do not even know their own state let alone others.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:20 PM

559 posts, read 1,464,337 times

Old 01-07-2009, 08:20 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
As a example of what I am saying is the common stereotype of Texans as all western cowboys, ranchers, oil drillers etc. Until I came to CD I also thought somewhat along those lines - of course I not totally stupid and knew people in Houston are not ranchers lol.

I been reading some of the older posts and it is interesting to see that Texans themselves - think of themselves as Southerners. Of course there is the western element - the western part of the south. Not sure if all Texans believe this but it seems to be alot of people on CD at least. An eye opener for me.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:01 PM

142 posts, read 358,321 times
Let's be honest; for the past 8 years the symbol of Texas has been sitting in the White House. George Bush often has made remarks about Texas and his Texas attitude.

"folks look at me and see a certain swagger, which in Texas is called walking"

George Bush has a high unfavorable rating which I'm sure translates in some effect, to a negative association with Texas.

I can't recall many Presidents being as closely associated with their home state as Bush has been. He has truly embraced Texas for good or bad.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:12 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerBoston View Post
Let's be honest; for the past 8 years the symbol of Texas has been sitting in the White House. George Bush often has made remarks about Texas and his Texas attitude.

"folks look at me and see a certain swagger, which in Texas is called walking"

George Bush has a high unfavorable rating which I'm sure translates in some effect, to a negative association with Texas.

I can't recall many Presidents being as closely associated with their home state as Bush has been. He has truly embraced Texas for good or bad.
Yeah, well his family is from Massachusetts

The current president is only a first generation Texan. And his Texas supporters strongly resemble him: white and male. Most of everyone else here dislikes him.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:27 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
Growing up in Texas, I was aware of the image that Texas has and I saw how different it really is compared to these stereotypes. Because of this, I assumed everyone knew that Texas, for the most part, did not conform to these broad generalizations. As I've traveled and read these forums, I've become aware of how ignorant people are of Texas. People say they don't like Texas and they don't want to go there because Texas is "full of ignorant, obnoxious people", or because it's "a giant trailer park in the desert". (Yes, someone has actually told me that.)

Old 01-07-2009, 10:30 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Growing up in Texas, I was aware of the image that Texas has and I saw how different it really is compared to these stereotypes. Because of this, I assumed everyone knew that Texas, for the most part, did not conform to these broad generalizations. As I've traveled and read these forums, I've become aware of how ignorant people are of Texas. People say they don't like Texas and they don't want to go there because Texas is "full of ignorant, obnoxious people", or because it's "a giant trailer park in the desert". (Yes, someone has actually told me that.)
I've noticed that people in the north are the most ignorant about Texas. I knew these two dudes from NYC who were actually shocked to see horses on a farm and went on and on about how they know horses really existed in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.