Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have problem with Californians moving into your area?
YES 22 25.29%
NO 65 74.71%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 10:32 AM

41 posts, read 120,398 times

Advertisements

Californians bring wealth and coolness little weak states like NJ and Washington
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 10:39 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,465,167 times
^This is an example of the type of stupidity that is endemic in California. You need to learn how to construct a proper sentence.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:26 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
^This is an example of the stupid comments that emerge when people make sweeping statements about the residents of an entire state based on the posts (admittedly silly) of a few anonymous posters on an internet forum.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:33 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
^This is an example of the stupid comments that emerge when people make sweeping statements about the residents of an entire state based on the posts (admittedly silly) of a few anonymous posters on an internet forum.
I was thinking the same thing when I saw his response. I'm not sure what is worse, "San Jose 121" posts or the posters that actually take him/her seriously.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 838 times
Default Confession

I understand why there are some complaints. My experience in moving from LA County to rural TX has been this:

Like most, we moved because of a triple-whammy: 1. Job loss, 2. Medical diagnosis requiring a year off work and a touchy financial situation while paying for outrageous real estate cost in CA, 3. When it came time to look for work, we grabbed what we could afford before we went bankrupt.

When moving to our new town, we looked for the house we could afford, and yes, by local standards, it was the mid-to-higher-end in town. Real estate was moving so slowly that, if any by-stander heard us say we were moving to town, they were likely to call out, "Hey! Are you looking to buy a house? I'm selling mine!" (or -- "My mom is selling hers!") Of course, this is of little comfort for those in town who are feeling the pinch of mortgage, but it's a bigger problem than I can fix.

Locals aren't likely to pursue a managerial-type job and stay in town. The ambitious ones move elsewhere. Ironically, I looked for a low-wage job to take while I went back to school. Those jobs were taken. When I decided to just pursue the job I had previously, my new employer clearly had multiple positions I would either be qualified for or will be qualified for after a little bit of extra education. To be sure, others like me who take "the boss jobs" will bring their opinions and experiences to the jobs. As we participate in politics, well -- you know what they say about opinions. You're going to put them out there like the nose on your face.

All in all, I'm pretty sympathetic to the complaints and discomforts that people have when a population moves in and starts change rolling. It's not fun for most people. I don't even take offense that some people are downright bitter and angry about seeing change. However, there's just not much I or anyone can do about it. If you find a place in the world that's not changing in some way or another, it's probably federally protected land -- and that's going to shift a little.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:42 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJose_121 View Post
Californians bring wealth and coolness little weak states like NJ and Washington
Trolls bring nothing.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:14 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
No, i don't see what is so special about them... no different than any other out of stater moving into town.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:47 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
Do you have a problem with Californians moving into your city/town/state? I just want to see a show of hands. Yes or no?

I don't have a problem but I've heard a lot of this Californication stuff. Even though I've read much about it I'm still confused. Do they seriously pay higher than the asking price for a house? Are they that much of a nuisance? Do they really arrive in droves to certain areas? What sends them there to migrate en masse? How does a place like Portland, OR or Boise, ID become the new hotspot for Californians?

Urban Dictionary: californication
No, why would I care?

Old 08-30-2014, 03:04 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,639,405 times
Back in the mid 1990s, I moved to Couer D'Alene, Idaho after growing up in California. Californication was a huge issue back then -- CDA was a beautiful, idyllic town that was getting uglier by the day because Californians were moving up there and building strip malls and subdivisions to support the California lifestyle. The property values also went through the roof and Californians were demanding that the controlled burns the local farmers did to control their land be stopped (too smokey for the city boys).

I haven't been back there since in 15 years, but I hear it's gotten a lot worse. I can see why Californians were seen a herd of unwanted locusts.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:11 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Back in the mid 1990s, I moved to Couer D'Alene, Idaho after growing up in California. Californication was a huge issue back then -- CDA was a beautiful, idyllic town that was getting uglier by the day because Californians were moving up there and building strip malls and subdivisions to support the California lifestyle. The property values also went through the roof and Californians were demanding that the controlled burns the local farmers did to control their land be stopped (too smokey for the city boys).

I haven't been back there since in 15 years, but I hear it's gotten a lot worse. I can see why Californians were seen a herd of unwanted locusts.
I was just in Couer D'Alene a couple of weeks ago. I live about an hour and a half away from there. It's still very Cal-transplant heavy. I never got to see what it was like before all the transplants moved there, but I have heard stories from locals, and they are generally pretty negative. I personally didn't find CDA to be overly obnoxious or overdeveloped, though downtown CDA does have some of that vibe that is generally associated with the California stereotypes.

I don't find California transplants to be any more or less obnoxious or invasive than any other kind of transplant from any other state or region. Not all Californians are the same. When I lived in places like Las Vegas and Phoenix, there were tons of California transplants that generally seemed to be coming mainly from places like the Inland Empire and the Central Valley cities (Bakersfield, Fresno, Stockton). They were quite different than the mostly Northern CA-Bay Area transplants I experienced when I lived in Austin, or the L.A.-proper transplants that were so common when I lived in Seattle. It's just that California is such a populous state, with nearly 40 million people. As a result, you're going to see a heavier influx of Californians in any boomtown, but people are people, and they're not all the same. I really can't generalize all Californians. I've made some great, long-lasting friendships with a few of them. Others, I can't stand... but that's strictly based on their individual personalities, and not because they happen to be from California.

That said, one thing that really does bother me, and this applies to transplants from ANYWHERE... is when people move somewhere and can't stop going on and on about how much the place they moved to sucks, and how the city/state/region they moved from is SOOO much better. Well then, why the hell did you move there? Just shut up and go back if it's so much better. Transplants from all regions are guilty of this. Not just Californians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.