Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cities you feel a inferiority complex existant or superioity+inferiority complex combined.
NYC 2 2.53%
LA 5 6.33%
CHICAGO 18 22.78%
Houston 27 34.18%
Phoenix 3 3.80%
Philly 7 8.86%
San Antonio 1 1.27%
San Diego 1 1.27%
Dallas-FortWorth 2 2.53%
Bay Area (San Francisco, Oakland San Jose), CA 1 1.27%
Detroit 2 2.53%
Jacksonville 1 1.27%
Indianapolis 1 1.27%
Columbus 0 0%
Austin 0 0%
Memphis 1 1.27%
D.C. 0 0%
Charlotte 2 2.53%
Boston 0 0%
Seattle 0 0%
Milwaukee 4 5.06%
Miami 0 0%
Orlando 0 0%
Las Vegas 0 0%
Denver 1 1.27%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 11:52 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,069,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post

I've noticed Chicago seems to have one - their whole nickname is the "second city" (isn't L.A. or SF more of the second city than Chicago?????) and they constantly try to pretend to be NYC when they aren't even close! They should be happy as what they are - a good down to earth midwest city!

Also, I've noticed Atlanta tries to be all big and bad and compete with Houston/L.A. all the time in terms of importance/diversity. They should relax it's a good city in its own right, just different.
I never knew before this website how many people thought Chicago was "The Second City" because it was the 2nd in population, which has nothing to do with it, and not because it was built from the ashes of the first city after the fire.

Also, if you talk to anyone from Chicago who loves Chicago, they will uniformly agree the city when you get down to it is NOT like New York and Chicago and Chicagoans DO NOT want to be New York. Chicagoans love New York, I certainly do, but there's a reason we're here and not there. The cities have huge differences, and people in Chicago want it to stay that way. I actually hear Chicago compared to New York by people who are familiar with the cities much less than people who don't know them well.

I'm assuming people think Chicago has an inferiority complex with New York just cause they're urban and Chicago is smaller?? After living in the city and realizing it doesn't exist, I'm not sure where people are coming up with this idea...

I also notice when people take the time to point these things out like I have done, many people just chime in and assume that it's all a part of that same complex that we would stand up and point out the differences... It's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 11:57 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,119,068 times
Houston easily takes the cake.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:21 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,617,794 times
^^^I agree. (Houston guy) "What about Atlanta? What about Atlanta?" Thanks but no thanks.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:25 PM

12,615 posts, read 21,761,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Thanks for the detailed response Irfox and I must apologize - I was not aware that Portland only has 60,000 people!

But Connecticut and Rhode Island might be in a different boat and while there are major advantages to being between NYC and Beantown, economic, cultural etc there are certainly disadvantages.

Connecticut is a wealthy state that has over 3.5 million people and can certainly better develop Hartford, Bridgeport or New Haven for instance - so that in more cases the bigger cities are not needed. Keep more money in the family so to speak!

Providence and the state of Rhode Island could be planned as more like a city-state like wealthy Singapore! Ok that would take some planning!

Anyway I am way off topic again.
No Problem. Also, no need to apologize. Portland is more significant regionally than many cities its size so it's easy to assume it's a bit larger than it is.

You make some good points. I've always wondered why places like Hartford, Bridgeport and New Haven struggle to the extent they do. Especially Hartford given the presence of the financial institutions there.

Providence is one of my favorite cities. I actually lived there for a while. I think Prov. has a lot to offer anyone. RI is struggling now though and it's unfortunate. I really hope the Ocean State sees a rebound sometime soon.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:24 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,189,515 times
Its not major, but Little Rock, AR takes the crown on inferiority complexes. In addition to having the worst perception in the country other than maybe Detroit, many people here joke about how much it sucks. This is a city with a lot of potential that is not being utilized because there is absolutely no civic pride here.

Plus, Little Rock is in Arkansas, the state with the worst perception in the country other than maybe Mississippi. Despite rather impressive demographics for its size, big businesses who have no problems investing in the Des Moines, IA and Baton Rouge, LA areas don't want to invest in the Little Rock area and I think the fact its in Arkansas (and the stereotypes that go with that) is the reason why.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:02 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,002,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
Right. That's like saying Buffalo overshadows NYC.

San Antonio could be called 'Mushroom City' because it grows in the shadow of Austin (Home of the Aggie whippin 'Horns!).
Glad to know your opinion.....couldn't care less though.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:09 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,604,077 times
Default I loved Portland

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
^I think that's a safe assessment. I voted for LA... I often hear people on this board get very angry when a problem in LA is addressed. I've also noticed it on trips there. I love LA, I don't understand the complex though. *edit* for recent evidence, see this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/gener...thought-3.html

As far as smaller cities go, I've never noticed it more than in Portland Maine. For anyone who hasn't been, Portland's a beautiful little city with LOTS to offer (especially given its size) and you should make it a destination, but it can also be a real self-congratulatory place. People in Portland get very upset when Portland's shortcomings are brought to the table, and many times they're downplayed. Many people in the city, though well aware of Portland's small size and stature, act like it's a bigger city than it is (but quickly use the small size to defend its shortcomings when necessary... I can't tell you how many time's I've heard "it's NOT Boston, OK?").

I don't get it with Portland. They have next to no crime, and beautiful scenery and the people are ultra friendly as well, but there seems to be a real inferiority complex. It's a city that really need to find its place.

Much of the inferiority complex with Portland won't be found on this board (though there is some). The Portland and Maine forums are great and the vast majority of the people posting there are open-minded and pleasant; but the inferiority complex is quite noticeable while in town. It's too bad too because it is such a great little town.
It's beautiful and I found the people to nice and very progressive. I would rather live there than where I now am in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.