Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 04:04 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,765,129 times

Advertisements

For me, i live In Frederick which is like 50 or so miles outside of DC, but still considered a suburb. i say im from a city. however, when im out of the country i say im from DC
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 04:09 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,209,981 times
I've always just said I'm from Philadelphia. Makes life easier.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:32 PM

550 posts, read 2,168,796 times
I have never said, "Oh, I'm from East Millcreek." There's no point. We all consider ourselves in Salt Lake County (suburbs included) as in Salt Lake City, except when we're talking to locals. Then saying what suburb we are from is okay because we know what we're talking about.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:35 PM

64 posts, read 91,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
That's because they know you're from a "high income" suburb.
What do you mean?

Old 01-06-2009, 04:40 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,053 times
This is the big long sentence I have to say to pinpoint where I am from. Los Angeles is not specific enough, So Cal is way not specific enough, Orange County often gets confused with the other Orange Counties of the USA so I say this:

I am from Mission Viejo, down in Orange County in greater Los Angeles.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:42 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
I live 2 miles from Manhattan. I spend most of my waking hours in an office in Manhattan. But I'm not from, nor do I live in Manhattan. To people in the Tri-State region, I say I live in Jersey City. To people beyond, I live in New Jersey. Friends of mine from other parts of the country want to "come to New York and visit" me, and I show them the sights and sounds of NYC, but I never claim to be a New Yorker, because A, it's not true, and B, I wouldn't want it to be.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy404, Location: Alpharetta, GA (North Atlanta Metro) View Post
In your opinon is it okay for somebody to say they are from NYC, Miami, Los Angeles, Atlanta etc. when they really are from Long Island, Aventura, Compton or Sandy Springs?

If someone doesn't live in the main city of their metro area but they say they do, do you think that is just so people have an idea where they live or are they "posers"?
If the majority say it's not OK, does that mean you'll be changing your username and "Location" field at City-Data?

Sorry for the minor derail, and I don't really expect an answer. I just thought it was an interesting coincidence.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:47 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I live 2 miles from Manhattan. I spend most of my waking hours in an office in Manhattan. But I'm not from, nor do I live in Manhattan. To people in the Tri-State region, I say I live in Jersey City. To people beyond, I live in New Jersey. Friends of mine from other parts of the country want to "come to New York and visit" me, and I show them the sights and sounds of NYC, but I never claim to be a New Yorker, because A, it's not true, and B, I wouldn't want it to be.
you said it well. i never considered myself a NY'er, and I don't understand why people who don't live in NYC (LI, for instance) consider themselves NY'ers (meaning NYC), especially since JC is MUCH closer, KWIM?

I'm in a suburb, and even when I was a stone's throw from NYC (literally), I never considered myself from there. Maybe it has to do with being in other state, but still. It's weird when people 20,30 miles away say they are from "the city".

Old 01-06-2009, 04:49 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
If the majority say it's not OK, does that mean you'll be changing your username and "Location" field at City-Data?

Sorry for the minor derail, and I don't really expect an answer. I just thought it was an interesting coincidence.
In his defense, I think saying "Atlanta Metro" is accurate. I consider myself in the NYC metro.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:52 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Sure it's OK, unless you actually live in a Detroit suburb apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.