Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 08:49 PM

378 posts, read 623,502 times

Advertisements

A suburb is part of a city, so yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 08:51 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,104,404 times
im ok with that what i dont like is when they say they are from cairo or paris and vacationed there for 2 weeks --10 years ago.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:03 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,499,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
you said it well. i never considered myself a NY'er, and I don't understand why people who don't live in NYC (LI, for instance) consider themselves NY'ers (meaning NYC), especially since JC is MUCH closer, KWIM?

I'm in a suburb, and even when I was a stone's throw from NYC (literally), I never considered myself from there. Maybe it has to do with being in other state, but still. It's weird when people 20,30 miles away say they are from "the city".
Why shouldn't someone from LI call themselves a NYer? It's the name of their state! What else could they call themselves?

Old 01-06-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingprof View Post
I usaully just say that I am from a suburb of minneapolis
Lots of people from the Mpls burbs say they are from "the Twin Cities", even though they are from neither Mpls nor St Paul. And that's OK

Old 01-06-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
A suburb is part of a city, so yes.
Well no, a suburb is NOT part of a city, by definition! (Unless you are in the UK, where neighborhoods within the corporate limits of London are referred to as suburbs, and the core of London is called "The City".)

Old 01-06-2009, 09:16 PM

403 posts, read 1,186,113 times
Whatever town you live in that's what you should claim. To say you're from the city when you really live in the burbs shows a lack of pride in your town.

I'm originally from North Jersey and as close as we are to NYC geographically and culturally no self-respecting New Jerseyean would EVER claim to be from there.

It's not a dislike for them it's just pride in our state.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:18 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,183,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
Whatever town you live in that's what you should claim. To say you're from the city when you really live in the burbs shows a lack of pride in your town.

I'm originally from North Jersey and as close as we are to NYC geographically and culturally no self-respecting New Jerseyean would EVER claim to be from there.

It's not a dislike for them it's just pride in our state.
If I'm in New Orleans, and a cab driver asks me where I live, what's the point of saying 'Wynnewood, Pennsylvania'? Total waste of time, because I'd have to explain where that is. Much easier to just say Philadelphia. Has nothing to do with lack of pride...

Old 01-06-2009, 09:22 PM

403 posts, read 1,186,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
If I'm in New Orleans, and a cab driver asks me where I live, what's the point of saying 'Wynnewood, Pennsylvania'? Total waste of time, because I'd have to explain where that is. Much easier to just say Philadelphia. Has nothing to do with lack of pride...
The point in saying it is because that's where you live, not where you live close to. If you were actually from Philly you wouldn't hesitate to tell him that so why not do the same with your hometown?

Sometimes what easy isn't always what's right.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:28 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,183,723 times
Quote:
The point in saying it is because that's where you live, not where you live close to. If you were actually from Philly you wouldn't hesitate to tell him that so why not do the same with your hometown?

Well I go to college in Philly, but it just makes life easier. I dont know why it's so hard to understand, but a major city is something everyone knows. I dont know how I can explain it any better than that. It makes perfect sense.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:28 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,002,908 times
Quote:

Agreed. Even if you tack on "a suburb of Philadelphia", it's better than just saying just flat out "Philly".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.