Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City where you feel there is an inferiority complex?
NYC 25 8.68%
LA 23 7.99%
CHICAGO 81 28.13%
HOUSTON 84 29.17%
ATLANTA 61 21.18%
PHILLIE 44 15.28%
DETROIT 40 13.89%
DALLAS-FORTWORTH 42 14.58%
BAY AREA (San francisco, Oakland, San Jose), CA 16 5.56%
MILWAUKEE 40 13.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 04:24 PM

Location: in the sun with all shadows behind me, in a small town with no "culture" to malign me
80 posts, read 93,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa luvs mojitos View Post
I agree with you 100%. Its probably meant to bash and its not right. Almost anything on this forum could probably be construed as an attempt to bash something. But yes this one for sure.

That does not mean that some people in those cities do not have inferiority issues. You obviously don't... so thats great. But you can see how and why threads like these come about. Trust me that Chicagoans like myself (former Chicagoan sorry) love to brag endlessly about our city. But a few bad eggs cross the line and insult others homes. That's not cool, especially when we have such a great city here, why are we feeling the need to bash others? We should be setting the example.
I learned this lesson from baseball. You focus on the players and the game, not the fans of the other team. I don't like most Cubs fans I meet particularly, but thats because I was born a Sox fan. I do not however get into the pissing matches where people from the North side put down the south side for being unemployed losers, ugly, poor.. and thats kind of what alot of people in Chicago do. They look down their noses at people for no good reason. Perhaps it stems a little from being a town divded.

I don't get what attracts people to a topic like this. Inferiority of an entire city does not exist! You are right Luvs Mojito that there are a few individuals who fall under that category. But so what?

People (usually from Chicago) are always suggesting that Milwaukee has an inferiority complex. I have never seen it, but if you ask a City Data poster named Milwaukee City, he will tell you that every single person he knows in Milwaukee feels "inferior" to Chicago. Now, do you believe that? I don't. And I don't believe Chicago has an inferiority complex either. What it is maybe is a breakdown in the American fabric. We are all battling each other and throwing stones like bunch of Palestinians vs Israelis but on a less violent level. Soon it will get there though if we don't grow up. If Chicagoans want to label cities as 'suburbs' and 'sewer drains', let them. We all do not have to join the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 05:29 PM

53 posts, read 101,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao111 View Post
I don't get what attracts people to a topic like this. Inferiority of an entire city does not exist! You are right Luvs Mojito that there are a few individuals who fall under that category. But so what?

People (usually from Chicago) are always suggesting that Milwaukee has an inferiority complex. I have never seen it, but if you ask a City Data poster named Milwaukee City, he will tell you that every single person he knows in Milwaukee feels "inferior" to Chicago. Now, do you believe that? I don't. And I don't believe Chicago has an inferiority complex either. What it is maybe is a breakdown in the American fabric. We are all battling each other and throwing stones like bunch of Palestinians vs Israelis but on a less violent level. Soon it will get there though if we don't grow up. If Chicagoans want to label cities as 'suburbs' and 'sewer drains', let them. We all do not have to join the game.

Thats exactly what i was talking about earlier. If someone from Chicago has a problem with Milwaukee or St. Louis or wherever they shouldnt be provoking someone from those cities and then acting like Milwaukee/St Louis/wherever is the one with the inferiority problem. some people around Chicago call Cleveland OH "the mistake by the Lake" and see that's just wrong. If I was from Clevland and someone from CHicago said that to me, I'd punch them in the stomach. People from big cities should act like it. Instead its more like "I hate it when New Yorkers sometimes **** on Chicago because its smaller so now I 'm going to **** on someone else"

Old 12-02-2009, 05:41 PM

655 posts, read 2,182,869 times
Detroit, Philly, Milwaukee, and the Bay Area.

I feel as though people from the Bay Area are reserved and don't really bring it up, surprisingly enough.

As a New Yorker, I have to admit that we are pretty bad. ATL is bad, as well. And the Texan cities might just be the absolute worst.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:45 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,357,512 times
Answer: none of the above ... St. Louis takes the cake in my experience. They're ALWAYS saying stuff like "well we're not like <insert something> like CHICAGO is."

Old 12-02-2009, 05:48 PM
SWV

445 posts, read 1,337,173 times
I say Houston, someone on here almost had an heart attack because I said Chicago was more important than Houston. He/she even messaged me showing how he thinks Houston is the best city in the United States..

Old 12-02-2009, 05:55 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,004,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Answer: none of the above ... St. Louis takes the cake in my experience. They're ALWAYS saying stuff like "well we're not like <insert something> like CHICAGO is."
Naw. Saint Louis seems to have a superiority complex.

As I have pointed out in other threads, Because of the Saint Louis' French heritage there is an empire mentality without an empire.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,925 times
Chicago, Philly, and Houston
In response to the guy posted before me I can't say St Louis is. People who live there genuinely love it and don't look at CHicago with an ounce of envy. You hear that same statement but in reverse from Chicagoans "well we're not like <insert something> like ST LOUIS is." It must be because St Louis has all those baseball championships to hang over Chicago's head. I think again it stems from Chicago. For a big "world class city" they sure do not act like it. That city is divided and it wants everyone else to be that way.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:59 PM
SWV

445 posts, read 1,337,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiserTT View Post
In response to the guy posted before me I can't say St Louis is. People who live there genuinely love it and don't look at CHicago with an ounce of envy. You hear that same statement but in reverse from Chicagoans "well we're not like <insert something> like ST LOUIS is." It must be because St Louis has all those baseball championships to hang over Chicago's head. I think again it stems from Chicago. For a big "world class city" they sure do not act like it. That city is divided and it wants everyone else to be that way.
Thankfully I don't live in Chicago!!

Old 12-02-2009, 07:00 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,287,563 times
Quote:

Old 12-02-2009, 09:56 PM

Location: in the sun with all shadows behind me, in a small town with no "culture" to malign me
80 posts, read 93,942 times
Quote:

What's weird is this.. I always hear people from Milwaukee in the REAL WORLD (not on these boards) say nice stuff about Chicago. Really. They like visiting, partying, and shopping..and so on. They usually do not want to live there because of the hassles that go along with a major city but they enjoy having Chicago close by as a sort of playground. Milwaukee businesses and consumers give Chicago alot of potential business and vice versa. So the compliments and business come Chicago's way. But what does Milwaukee get in return? Mostly some offhanded remarks about how they are some extension of Illinois or that Chicago pays for their ballpark and other nonsense. Little bit of the 2nd city (now 3rd) complex creeps in. You would expect it to be the other way around.
When it comes to St. Louis, its a little different. St Louis for the most part cannot stand Chicago. Chicagoans in turn are always running St Louis into the ground which is wrong because Chicago is in the unique position (world class city here) of being gracious and pumping up the cities around them to make an overall better economy. Chicago has nothing to gain by minimizing those cities in any way. It either makes Chicago look bad as a supposed world class city, or it alienates people from those places who will think twice about spending any money or time in Chicago. Big cities who claim to be the classiest and most cultured should act like it, and everything rises with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.