Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City where you feel there is an inferiority complex?
NYC 25 8.68%
LA 23 7.99%
CHICAGO 81 28.13%
HOUSTON 84 29.17%
ATLANTA 61 21.18%
PHILLIE 44 15.28%
DETROIT 40 13.89%
DALLAS-FORTWORTH 42 14.58%
BAY AREA (San francisco, Oakland, San Jose), CA 16 5.56%
MILWAUKEE 40 13.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 11:53 AM

475 posts, read 684,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus PA View Post
There is a difference between "feeling inferior" and having an "inferiority complex."
Undoubtedly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The inferior definition you and gold are referring to is Houston being inferior to NYC because NYC is obviously on another level and more important than Houston. This definition doesn't rely on feelings, but more towards a fact.
Not that this is remotely relative to the distinction I was making, but, *I* have never thought of Houston as inferior to New York. What is the "fact" that makes the statement true? Larger? Bigger? Location? Still, those things do not equate to inferiority in a stand-alone statement.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
anyone from chicago will tell you how jealous we are of it...

This phrase right here ^^^ is the main reason people think Chicago (and Milwaukee) have inferiority issues. Nobody who has been to Chicago is really "jealous" of Chicago except maybe this ONE guy from Milwaukee. Is that hyperbole? Sure. But it's closer to the truth.

If you live in New York, L.A. or San Francisco and can afford it, Chicago and it's problems are the farthest thing from your mind. Atlanta is another city I think could care less.
Obviously millions of people love Chicago for certain reasons and move there if they do, but most midwesterners I've ever met are not "jealous" of its traffic gridlock, corruption issues, high taxes, policing issues, lack of parking, cost of living,etc etc. To them, its the classic "nice place to vist, but I wouldnt want to live there"

Outside of the midwest Chicago is often just an airport in the boring gray midwest.
That's not a knock on Chicago. It's just reality.
Chicago is a great town but it's in a catch 22. It's not as dominating and vibrant as New York, and doesnt have great weather and glitz like L.A.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:04 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
Not that this is remotely relative to the distinction I was making, but, *I* have never thought of Houston as inferior to New York. What is the "fact" that makes the statement true? Larger? Bigger? Location? Still, those things do not equate to inferiority in a stand-alone statement.
Well when you can come up with a reason why Houston is on the level on NYC than say it; but for now; I'm sticking with NYC being higher.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Well when you can come up with a reason why Houston is on the level on NYC than say it; but for now; I'm sticking with NYC being higher.
You're attempting to differentiate between two cities without comparing and contrasting, but by issuing a one-dimensional statement: it's on another level. Where is this proverbial "level" about which you speak?

BTW, none of this speaks to inferiority - which was the point.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:32 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
You're attempting to differentiate between two cities without comparing and contrasting, but by issuing a one-dimensional statement: it's on another level. Where is this proverbial "level" about which you speak?

BTW, none of this speaks to inferiority - which was the point.
Your confusing the post by over-analyzing it. NYC exceeds because of importance (finance,media,ports,recognition,etc), culture, diversity, and more. However, the OT was which city do you think feels inferior to the other given choices.

Your kind of confusing me now because of instead of focusing on the thread; you want to play teacher. People are going to say city A feels inferior to city B because City B is defensive. Your definitions and psychoanalysis talk is irrelevant to what's being discussed.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:47 PM

33 posts, read 32,550 times
Quote:
However, the OT was which city do you think feels inferior to the other given choices.

That's not how I read it at all. Are you guys talking about all the cities on this list or just Houston and New York vs. the rest of them?

It's clear that New York is the dominating city in America, followed by L.A. After that probably San Francisco gets the next most praise and attention. Then Chicago. Then the rest. There is a distinct pecking order to these supposed feelings of inferiority. My belief is that every major city in America plays its part in making America great. If New York is bigger and more cosmo, so what? Not everyone likes that. Let's start there.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:03 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
Default the south

I would have to choose any city in the south. For some strange reason I think that southerners get offended when they hear transplants talk about the differences of how the cities downsouth function vs those much larger cities. I've heard many from the south that feel threatened by yankees moving in and taking their jobs or trying to change their way of life. Has anyone else had the same experiences?

Old 12-07-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus PA View Post
That's not how I read it at all. Are you guys talking about all the cities on this list or just Houston and New York vs. the rest of them?
I interpreted it the way you did. I only mentioned those cities in response to a comment about them - my original comments were not city specific.

My point is that "inferior" and an "inferiority complex" are not the same. jluke considers that to be an overanalysis; I simply call it thinking. I think anyone who sees the question "which cities seem to have inferiority complexes?" and responds by typing "ABC is inferior to DEF" is not answering the question they were asked.

The terms have specific meanings any way you slice it.

Thread title cut/paste: Which major city do you notice most a inferiority complex?

Old 12-07-2009, 03:34 PM

53 posts, read 101,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I would have to choose any city in the south. For some strange reason I think that southerners get offended when they hear transplants talk about the differences of how the cities downsouth function vs those much larger cities. I've heard many from the south that feel threatened by yankees moving in and taking their jobs or trying to change their way of life. Has anyone else had the same experiences?

There is alot of pride in the south. I have not noticed that southerners take offense to any differences with the larger cities. What they probably get offended by is when someone blabs incessantly about how great their home city is when nobody asked them. That type of person is annoying no matter where they are from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.