Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City where you feel there is an inferiority complex?
NYC 25 8.68%
LA 23 7.99%
CHICAGO 81 28.13%
HOUSTON 84 29.17%
ATLANTA 61 21.18%
PHILLIE 44 15.28%
DETROIT 40 13.89%
DALLAS-FORTWORTH 42 14.58%
BAY AREA (San francisco, Oakland, San Jose), CA 16 5.56%
MILWAUKEE 40 13.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 01:26 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Yes, that is for sure. When some loser on a internet blog says something retarded and untrue about another city, people in that city will stand up and correct them. That is what is going on. There is no inferiority complex from Houston, or Dallas or Texas in general. I must say also that some people try to make their opinions like fact on cd though

Yeah, what this poll question really means is ''which city do angsty young people talk the most **** about on this forum?''
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 01:36 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
LA has an inferiority complex to NYC
Um....no.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:25 PM

756 posts, read 1,882,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavalierXion View Post
This statement just demonstrates once again how much of an inferiority complex Houston has. In reality Houston and Dallas are both on par with one another. They are both second tier cities behind first tier cities NYC, LA, Chicago, Washington D.C. and San Francisco. The difference between Dallas and Houston is that Houston is not as you say content with what it has. Houston is a cool city but it strives to think of itself on par with Chicago, LA and NYC and it just isn't there yet. This inferiority complex manifests itself in that Houston is very defensive about its weaknesses and has to resort to putting other cities like Dallas and Atlanta down in order to prove that it's better than these cities which probably contributes to the negative image of Houston.
Well, as one of my friends in Dallas admits, the biggest difference between Houston and Dallas is Houston doesn't need Fort Worth to be a big city.

Houston and Dallas are on the same tier like NYC and Chicago are on the same tier. The former is much more dominating culturally and economically than the latter in each tier.

Dallas is a nice city in its own right. It just is not the power player in Texas that it was several decades ago.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:13 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
That striving is quite a stretch. You guys do not even compare to Houston. You may want to look around, Austin is not too far off from comparing to Dallas. One of my friends in Dallas calls it "the LA of Texas", which it isn't. Houston is the Houston of the United States. Just like Chicago is Chicago of the United States. Be content with what you've got.
As a non Texan, and someone who truly doesn't care about Texas cities one way or the other, I just want to point out to you that I have never heard anyone say they percieve Hoston to be superior to Dallas. Dallas is the Texan city that comes to my mind when I think urban Texas, not Houston. If I knew how to do a poll, I'd pose that question -- when you think of the premier city in Texas, do you think of Dallas or Houston?

Old 01-07-2009, 03:15 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
As a non Texan, and someone who truly doesn't care about Texas cities one way or the other, I just want to point out to you that I have never heard anyone say they percieve Hoston to be superior to Dallas. Dallas is the Texan city that comes to my mind when I think urban Texas, not Houston. If I knew how to do a poll, I'd pose that question -- when you think of the premier city in Texas, do you think of Dallas or Houston?
Why don't you start one because I'd love to see the outcome, and actually I agree with you and that's why I say Dallas overshadows Houston and Houston is one of America's most underrated cities. I feel it is more about Dallas being in a more centralized and better location than Houston, also the fact that Houston is considered the "Energy Capital".

Old 01-07-2009, 03:28 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Why don't you start one because I'd love to see the outcome, and actually I agree with you and that's why I say Dallas overshadows Houston and Houston is one of America's most underrated cities.
I don't know how to do polls. Besides, if I did, I'm sure someone from Austin or San Antonio would get offended for not being included.

For the record, I have done some on line research about Houston as a result of reading this forum, and it does seem like a nice place. I love to visit American cities, and I'll probably go visit it some day. It's made my list of places to go. However, the idea that there are four cities -- NYC, LA, Chicago and Houston is laughable. It may be big, but Houston ranks below a whole list of American cities in perceived importance -- San Fransisco, Seattle, Philadelphia, Boston, Miami even, Kansas City, St. Louis, New Orleans, Denver. I'm not trying to start a flame war here and get people in Houston dissing the cities on my list -- I'm just saying in the American consciousness at large Houston isn't even "up and coming" yet. Again, as a result of this forum, I know think of Houston as up and coming, but please don't think you're going to get anywhere by pulling down Chicago or LA. That just makes you look foolish. Houstonians should focus on developing what they have for its own sake, and someday in the far future, it may occupy the space of beloved, important American city as the others on the list I just spun out does.

As of now, I'm sure if Americans had to vote on which city they'd rather see nuked (if they had to pick one) most would rather save Denver than Houston just because its got more name recognition and an overall positive image.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:29 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavalierXion View Post
This statement just demonstrates once again how much of an inferiority complex Houston has. In reality Houston and Dallas are both on par with one another. They are both second tier cities behind first tier cities NYC, LA, Chicago, Washington D.C. and San Francisco. The difference between Dallas and Houston is that Houston is not as you say content with what it has. Houston is a cool city but it strives to think of itself on par with Chicago, LA and NYC and it just isn't there yet. This inferiority complex manifests itself in that Houston is very defensive about its weaknesses and has to resort to putting other cities like Dallas and Atlanta down in order to prove that it's better than these cities which probably contributes to the negative image of Houston.
So true. It tries putting down cities like Dallas and ATL, and tries to act like it is on the alpha level that LA, NYC, and especially Chicago are on.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:30 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
Well, as one of my friends in Dallas admits, the biggest difference between Houston and Dallas is Houston doesn't need Fort Worth to be a big city.

Houston and Dallas are on the same tier like NYC and Chicago are on the same tier. The former is much more dominating culturally and economically than the latter in each tier.

Dallas is a nice city in its own right. It just is not the power player in Texas that it was several decades ago.
Uhh....
ok, firstly... If you've EVER been to Dallas you would know that besides vegetation they basically look the same. Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston are all on par with each other, they are the "LA, NYC, and Chicago" except a tier lower.
2nd, yeah so Dallas Fort Worth is conjoined between two major cities. but Dallas Fort Worth has more actual urbanized area then Houston, if you exclude the rural areas which the census likes to count then Dallas Fort Worth would still be about 4 or 5 million, where as Houston would be at about 3 or 4.
Dallas is still a player, the only thing dying here is the Airport...LOL, and that is not cargo wise. DFW recieve most of the Air Cargo in Texas, by a significant margin. Where have you been? All the cities in Texas have only been growin for the past 20 years.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:31 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Not accusing you of saying it, rather asking you: by this post do you mean to say that Dallas is more urban than Houston?

Old 01-07-2009, 03:39 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,012,634 times
This thread is funny!! I say we all just meet up in the alley. I'll bring a 2x4 and some smoke bombs. Has anyone ever seen "Anchorman"? The scene where the different news broadcast groups meet up and have a good ole' fashioned free for all, that's what is verball going on in 50% of the city-data forums. I think that us San Antonians, DFW residents, and Houstonians should start pulling toghter cause we are going to need at least a 5% overall turnout in order to give the rest a good ole' woodshead beatin...lol. "Remember the Alamo!!"

Btw....this is a joke, hope no one takes this seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.