Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City where you feel there is an inferiority complex?
NYC 25 8.68%
LA 23 7.99%
CHICAGO 81 28.13%
HOUSTON 84 29.17%
ATLANTA 61 21.18%
PHILLIE 44 15.28%
DETROIT 40 13.89%
DALLAS-FORTWORTH 42 14.58%
BAY AREA (San francisco, Oakland, San Jose), CA 16 5.56%
MILWAUKEE 40 13.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 06:09 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxchus View Post
Not very familiar with Houston, but sometimes the defensiveness could stem from being tired of reading or hearing the same misinformation about their city over and over. More like annoyance rather than defensiveness.
I think this is EXACTLY what it is in most cases. When you're always unfairly put on a status level with Baton Rouge or a crummy town level with Detroit you're going to get in peoples' faces about it. This is total misinformation.

If Houston was as lame as many outsiders make it out to be, the residents would probably just accept it and be trying to move away - remember most residents aren't natives these days. Instead, more and more people are moving in and always talking about how they're pleasantly surprised, then you have people defending it to the death like some people on here. Think about it. Obviously they're passionate about it, and there must be good reason. If some people don't like that and think it's because of an inferiority complex, whatever... they're being narrow-minded I think. Years of trash-talking the city, stupid stereotypes and even famous people bashing it for political gain (several Hollywood types along with Al Gore years ago) have created a monster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 06:38 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,240,920 times
Regarding New York, let's get one thing straight - the Big Apple is at its own level among U.S. cities. The quite different from one another Los Angeles and Chicago are on the 2nd level, and all other cities are on the 3rd level or lower.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:40 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
^^Yeah, which is why it's beyond me why anyone voted for NY. I think they just did that to annoy some of us NYers

Old 01-07-2009, 06:47 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,859,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
^^Yeah, which is why it's beyond me why anyone voted for NY. I think they just did that to annoy some of us NYers
that's the point of this entire thread

Old 01-07-2009, 06:50 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
This is easy, Houston.......and yes, I've been there.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:52 PM

711 posts, read 2,108,206 times
I think of more of an inferiority complex as what many suburban St. Louisans have. Just go read the St. Louis Post Dispatch comments some time when something positive happens.

"George Clooney To Film Movie In St. Louis"
Many comments were like "Why would he want to come here?" "Yeah maybe they will film in north city and get shot!" Many suburbanites in St. Louis think St. Louis is a big waste land, and it isn't. They are the same people who have never lived in the city, live 25 miles out in the burbs, go to the city twice a year for a Cardinals or Blues game, and then talk about how they would like to move to Chicago where "things are actually going on."

Old 01-08-2009, 06:53 AM

756 posts, read 1,882,945 times
Oh god, I remember after Hurricane Ike hit Houston and parts of Tennessee and Georgia experienced major gas shortages because some of the Houston refineries were shut down. You could pretty much watch the entire nation's transportation (mass transit doesn't run on air you know) come to a screeching halt without Houston.
As many have stated, people only defend Houston because of the incorrect negativity stated; we could care less if you like Houston. We would prefer even more that people would stop moving here. Aside from CD, the city is easily the most respected in Texas nationally, and internationally has a great image. It's no wonder so many nations have consulates here; must be that image problem.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:57 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
Quote:
NYC has an inferiority complex to London or Hong Kong
really? that's news to me

Old 01-08-2009, 07:46 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
You say that know one knows or cares about Houston but you have been talking about it for sooo long. Ok, we get it....you think all those other cities are better than Houston. Now can we move on? You don't have to post like 30 posts about how inferior we are here in Houston.
I didn't say I think those other cities are better than Houston. I said they are more recognized as classic American cities. My initial posts began because a Houstoner was saying Dallas needs to get used to being Texas' "other" city. I don't think many people outside of Houston would necessarily agree with that. I definitely don't think that people see Houston as the fourth city or even a definite player in the second tier cities -- a maybe player perhaps.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:47 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I don't know. To be honest, I've never been to either. I'm just saying as an outsider, when I think Texas and city, I think Dallas, not Houston. When I think American cities, Houston didn't even make my list until I started reading this forum.
I don't know, when I think of Georgia, I think of Savannah and not Atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.