Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would knock my socks off?
Chicago 40 55.56%
Denver 19 26.39%
St. Louis 5 6.94%
Columbus 3 4.17%
Cleveland 2 2.78%
Indianapolis 3 4.17%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 02:23 PM

351 posts, read 645,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
I'd vote Chicago. Certainly the largest major city after NYC and LA, with a lot of culture and a lot to do. Certainly you'll get things you hate with a major city as well.

Columbus, Ohio would prob be my 2nd choice, the university scene there is huge, but it's not exactly a college town. You can drive to other cities that you mentioned, Cleveland, Cincy, etc. It would seem more conservative than Chicago.

Even though I grew up in a small town in CO and currently live in Denver it would be my third choice, it's a beautiful and clean city with so much to do outdoors wise, city-wise it's lacking a bit culturally behind, but the bottom line, it's like you say "a playground" where everyones from out of town.

I do like Kansas City, for a city it's really compact, people there are very friendly for a city and you actually meet people born and raised in KC/MO. But like much of Kansas, it's in the middle of nowhere. Indianapolis as well, people there are friendly as hell for a city, feels more like a small town of a million people, but there's just not much to do other than drink.

I would agree with absolutely all of that. Do you think Columbus would measure up well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 02:34 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,473,027 times
What a strange selection of cities for a poll. Those are the six cities under consideration for "knocking one's socks off?" I wonder how every other major city in the United States managed not to make it onto the list.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:39 PM

961 posts, read 2,556,563 times
I'm living in Chicago right now and it is definitely NOT knocking my socks off. In fact, it is requiring that I wear more than one pair. I am freezing my butt off!

Old 01-07-2009, 02:56 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,256,094 times
St. Louis, Columbus, Cleveland and Indianapolis aren't doing that well economically. What about St. Paul? It's more conservative than Minneapolis and the Twin Cities have extraordinary cultural attractions. Chicago is the only other city on your list that can compete in that respect.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:16 PM

351 posts, read 645,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
What a strange selection of cities for a poll. Those are the six cities under consideration for "knocking one's socks off?" I wonder how every other major city in the United States managed not to make it onto the list.
Because these are the cities I have to option of relocating to. By "knock my socks off" I mean, meet my criteria.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:37 PM

3,643 posts, read 10,692,146 times
I think the people that voted Chicago didnt read "Things I hate"

Old 01-07-2009, 09:47 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,109,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I think the people that voted Chicago didnt read "Things I hate"
But we read the things that he loved.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:51 PM

550 posts, read 2,161,423 times
Have you considered Salt Lake City? I think it meets most of those criteria (of course, it's not in the Midwest). If you want, make a post at the Salt Lake area forum if you want some more specific answers. Good luck in your search!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:53 PM

3,643 posts, read 10,692,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Answers View Post
Because these are the cities I have to option of relocating to. By "knock my socks off" I mean, meet my criteria.
You think a Conservative would fit in in Chicago? Just wondering. I have a Conservative friend that lives in Chicago and she says that it can be very uncomfortable at times.

and what kinds of outdoors & wilderness are near Chicago

Old 01-07-2009, 10:04 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,109,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
You think a Conservative would fit in in Chicago? Just wondering. I have a Conservative friend that lives in Chicago and she says that it can be very uncomfortable at times.

and what kinds of outdoors & wilderness are near Chicago
Conservatives, while outnumbered in Chicago itself, are found in huge numbers in many of the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.