Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cities you feel a inferiority complex existant or superioity+inferiority complex combined.
NYC 2 2.53%
LA 5 6.33%
CHICAGO 18 22.78%
Houston 27 34.18%
Phoenix 3 3.80%
Philly 7 8.86%
San Antonio 1 1.27%
San Diego 1 1.27%
Dallas-FortWorth 2 2.53%
Bay Area (San Francisco, Oakland San Jose), CA 1 1.27%
Detroit 2 2.53%
Jacksonville 1 1.27%
Indianapolis 1 1.27%
Columbus 0 0%
Austin 0 0%
Memphis 1 1.27%
D.C. 0 0%
Charlotte 2 2.53%
Boston 0 0%
Seattle 0 0%
Milwaukee 4 5.06%
Miami 0 0%
Orlando 0 0%
Las Vegas 0 0%
Denver 1 1.27%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 01:35 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,584,106 times

Advertisements

It kinda puzzles me, but on C-D in particular but also in person there are cities that I would go to where everyone thinks they are better than you (superiority complex) where people wouldn't even talk to you unless you are dressed up in brand name clothes or drive a nice car.

Then there are those cities where obviously there are major social problem such as crime, poverty, segregation, pollution and you tell the native resident and they get mad at you and tell you there is nothing wrong and it is the best place in the world, no names mentioned.

Place your vote for the city you've actually been to and feel has the most striking display of an inferority complex (sometimes they can be both superiority and inferiority combined at the same time).

Last edited by RangerDuke08; 01-06-2009 at 01:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 09:43 AM

463 posts, read 1,565,712 times
I voted for Philly, because it has more to ofter than all but maybe five other cities in the country, it is overshadowed by New York only 60-ish miles away.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:52 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
^I think that's a safe assessment. I voted for LA... I often hear people on this board get very angry when a problem in LA is addressed. I've also noticed it on trips there. I love LA, I don't understand the complex though. *edit* for recent evidence, see this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/gener...thought-3.html

As far as smaller cities go, I've never noticed it more than in Portland Maine. For anyone who hasn't been, Portland's a beautiful little city with LOTS to offer (especially given its size) and you should make it a destination, but it can also be a real self-congratulatory place. People in Portland get very upset when Portland's shortcomings are brought to the table, and many times they're downplayed. Many people in the city, though well aware of Portland's small size and stature, act like it's a bigger city than it is (but quickly use the small size to defend its shortcomings when necessary... I can't tell you how many time's I've heard "it's NOT Boston, OK?").

I don't get it with Portland. They have next to no crime, and beautiful scenery and the people are ultra friendly as well, but there seems to be a real inferiority complex. It's a city that really need to find its place.

Much of the inferiority complex with Portland won't be found on this board (though there is some). The Portland and Maine forums are great and the vast majority of the people posting there are open-minded and pleasant; but the inferiority complex is quite noticeable while in town. It's too bad too because it is such a great little town.

Last edited by lrfox; 01-06-2009 at 10:15 AM..

Old 01-06-2009, 09:55 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
San Francisco Bay Area. I was born and raised there and so many people there, not all but many, just trash talk Southern CA and Los Angeles for no good reason. There is a north/south rivalry in the state but its usually Northern Californians that talk crap b/c most Southern Californians either like NorCal or are indifferent while many Northern Californians have a strong, biased hatred towards SoCal for pretty much no good reason at all. Being from the Bay Area and having lived in SoCal for over 7 years I've seen plenty of this inferiority complex mentality, I think a lot of people in the Bay Area are bothered by the attention SoCal gets and that its seen more as the stereotypical CA lifestyle. I love both parts of the state but the close mindedness and how judgmental SOME Northern Californians can be about SoCal gets on my nerves.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:58 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
Jeez, this is just going to start wars.

I guess I've noticed it a bit with Houston. The Dallas area is 6.4M while Houston is 5.7M, but I never seem to notice Dallas people pointing out how huge the city has gotten or pushing the city non-stop. Houston is coming up left and right in every topic because they happen to have the 4th highest number of people living within the city limits. I've always thought city limits were fairly arbitrary lines drawn through Urban Areas, which is what we really associate with "LA" or "Dallas" or "Boston".

Old 01-06-2009, 10:08 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
which cities. well i guess the rich and the poor ones no?
cities dont have complexes just people do. but i think i know what you mean.
so 2 questions what do you do about arrogant rude people--- same as angry victims, avoid them and dont react to their bad behavior.
however it is much harder for a person that feels inferior to change their feelings, if indeed their shortcoming are real.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:16 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,584,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
which cities. well i guess the rich and the poor ones no?
cities dont have complexes just people do. but i think i know what you mean.
so 2 questions what do you do about arrogant rude people--- same as angry victims, avoid them and dont react to their bad behavior.
however it is much harder for a person that feels inferior to change their feelings, if indeed their shortcoming are real.
Yup, I can care less about rude ppl, but when it comes to social problems if there isn't any communication or if there is just a mass wave of denial, those social problems won't ever be changed. I mean seriously there are cities with over 100 homicides a year and when you try to talk to those ppl in the city, how often do you hear "oh there are good parts of town and bad parts of town, just avoid the bad parts" ... the things is what affects the community can affect us all one day, we do need to be concerned even about the bad parts.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:32 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
Yup, I can care less about rude ppl, but when it comes to social problems if there isn't any communication or if there is just a mass wave of denial, those social problems won't ever be changed. I mean seriously there are cities with over 100 homicides a year and when you try to talk to those ppl in the city, how often do you hear "oh there are good parts of town and bad parts of town, just avoid the bad parts" ... the things is what affects the community can affect us all one day, we do need to be concerned even about the bad parts.
thanks for the rep,crime in the ghetto is not the title of this thread but since you asked. i will risk. my concern over crime in the ghetto will have no effect (except maybe some name calling). when the people that live there think there is a problem then it will change. when the people there stop talkin about how the police acted when they got there and start talking about why the police came--- things will get better.
i see enormous similarities between the mideast conflict and ghetto conflict. shooting at cops no problem but they shoot back, we got a crisis.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:45 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
I say Chicago. The reason is because many cities are gaining on it and soon could possibly pass it and even though people in Chicago act like they don't care and say things like "Were still the second city!". They also a very underrated city and don't recieve much media as NYC and LA which are much more popular.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:56 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,599,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
^I think that's a safe assessment. I voted for LA... I often hear people on this board get very angry when a problem in LA is addressed. I've also noticed it on trips there. I love LA, I don't understand the complex though. *edit* for recent evidence, see this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/gener...thought-3.html

As far as smaller cities go, I've never noticed it more than in Portland Maine. For anyone who hasn't been, Portland's a beautiful little city with LOTS to offer (especially given its size) and you should make it a destination, but it can also be a real self-congratulatory place. People in Portland get very upset when Portland's shortcomings are brought to the table, and many times they're downplayed. Many people in the city, though well aware of Portland's small size and stature, act like it's a bigger city than it is (but quickly use the small size to defend its shortcomings when necessary... I can't tell you how many time's I've heard "it's NOT Boston, OK?").

I don't get it with Portland. They have next to no crime, and beautiful scenery and the people are ultra friendly as well, but there seems to be a real inferiority complex. It's a city that really need to find its place.

Much of the inferiority complex with Portland won't be found on this board (though there is some). The Portland and Maine forums are great and the vast majority of the people posting there are open-minded and pleasant; but the inferiority complex is quite noticeable while in town. It's too bad too because it is such a great little town.
Do they get mad when someone refers to Portland without qualifying it with either Portland, OR or Portland, ME (and they are actually talking about Portland, OR).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.