Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:11 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthedirtbub View Post
This is why people hate texas.
Great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 10:30 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Wooooo! Tx is owning you suckas! Bow down to your supreme ruler!
Todays sprawling growth is tomorrows headache.

Not to be confrontational but who do you think is going to take Youngstowns,Detroits,Flints throne in 2110?

Just look at what overpopulation did to a great city like LA, a city with enormous natural beauty, an outstanding climate,and opulent wealth. How well do you think the Texas metropolises are going to age? Is there going to be the desire to stick around and rebuild 2,000,000 deteriorating houses in a climate that reaches 100 degrees with 100% humidity?

Be careful what you wish for. I mean if LA, a city with one of the best settings in the usa sprawl is so out of control that there are 1 million illegal aliens hiding out in the city imagine the chaos that could happen in Texas.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Not to be confrontational but who do you think is going to take Youngstowns,Detroits,Flints throne in 2110?

Just look at what overpopulation did to a great city like LA, a city with enormous natural beauty, an outstanding climate,an opulent wealth. How well do you think the Texas metropolises are going to age? Is there going to be the desire to stick around and rebuild 2,000,000 deteriorating houses in a climate that reaches 100 degrees with 100% humidity?

Be careful what you wish for. I mean if LA, a city with one of the best settings in the usa sprawl is so out of control that there are 1 million illegal aliens hiding out in the city imagine the chaos that could happen in Texas.
Youngstown has a long way to go before it becomes the next LA!

Old 01-08-2009, 10:35 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
There are plenty of other smaller metropolitan areas in Texas that are starting to grow now.

Quote:
Just look at what overpopulation did to a great city like LA, a city with enormous natural beauty, an outstanding climate,an opulent wealth. How well do you think the Texas metropolises are going to age? Is there going to be the desire to stick around and rebuild 2,000,000 deteriorating houses in a climate that reaches 100 degrees with 100% humidity?
Too bad that isn't Texas weather at all. Not even in the most extreme of places. Also, NYC has survived for this long. Philly is on a major rebound (as far as gentrification goes).

Quote:
Be careful what you wish for. I mean if LA, a city with one of the best settings in the usa prawl is so out of control that there are 1 million illegal aliens hiding out in the city imagine the chaos that could happen in Texas.
Yeah let's imagine.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:35 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,562 times
Quote:

As if the cold weather up north doesn't have a effect on homes!

Old 01-08-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
As if the cold weather up north doesn't have a effect on homes!
Philly ,NYC,Det,Bos,Bal,Chi population spurts grew from a very good reason. European immigrants moving to the Land of Oppurtunity who in turn helped feed,cloth,produce goods + services that helped keep a nation and a globe alive. Today despite the lofty reasons those cities are paying the price for that overpopulation as they are stuck with tens of thousands of 100+ year old working class homes.

Now I'm reading a forum about Texans patting Houston and Dallas on the back because they basically lead the nation in sprawl. And what are the reasons for this sprawl?

Is it to produce goods + services to feed and clothe a nation? No because this country got out of the manufacturing business 40 years ago.

Is it to supply ships,tanks,weapons to prevent tyrannical miscreants from trying to take over the world? No.

So why then is Houston and Dallas growing at ridiculously abnormal growth rates? Cheap land, housing, and labor? Those are not great reasons. Warm weather? Thats nice but wont stop eventual debilitating decline.

The only area in this country where uncontrollable growth would be a good thing is the Bay Area as its incredible location basically assures high end growth and redevelopment. The Bay Area is the one location in the USA that will never see sustained blight. Houston 150 years from now? Ehh. I've seen some of those flat sprawling developments in sun parched Dallas that have future trouble written all over them.

I could be wrong thats just my opinion.

You mention even Philly gentrifying? Very slowly and localized. Its suburbs seeing what overpopulation eventually leads to is extremely anti-development.

We may not be around to see it but Houston Dallas Atlanta growing at 20-30% is going to catch up to it.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Todays sprawling growth is tomorrows headache.

Yeah you tried, but you didn't succeed! I guess I'll give it a shot, umm...Atlanta??

Old 01-08-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yeah you tried, but you didn't succeed! I guess I'll give it a shot, umm...Atlanta??
Look I have no qualms with Texas or Atlanta I wish them the best but I'm speaking from experiences seen and noted from living on the east coast.Overpopulation and density breed contempt. People move on, todays new mcmansion becomes tomorrows house of the ill repute. Thats just the way it is. Theres going to be a newer better Houston down the road somewhere in this country and the old Houston is going to be left as repositories for the poverty stricken and outcasts that cant make it in the modern world.

If you are going to grow do it high end.Don't grow hastily, grow smartly. When you grow at the mindboggling rates that Hou,Dall Atl are growing smartly is an impossibility.

Eventually trouble will follow these cities around like Ghengis Khan followed around the Tartars and Keraits. Younger people flee to newer fresher enviorns. Houston, Dallas + Atlanta may maybe able to keep a couple of strongholds but the majority of the neighborhoods in those cities will not be able to keep up with Father Time. Its easier for wealthy and the middle class to move than rebuild, just as its easier to take on poor people than knock down hundreds of thousands of houses as they age.

Last edited by rainrock; 01-08-2009 at 11:40 PM..

Old 01-09-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Look I have no qualms with Texas or Atlanta I wish them the best but I'm speaking from experiences seen and noted from living on the east coast.Overpopulation and density breed contempt. People move on, todays new mcmansion becomes tomorrows house of the ill repute. Thats just the way it is. Theres going to be a newer better Houston down the road somewhere in this country and the old Houston is going to be left as repositories for the poverty stricken and outcasts that cant make it in the modern world.

If you are going to grow do it high end.Don't grow hastily, grow smartly. When you grow at the mindboggling rates that Hou,Dall Atl are growing smartly is an impossibility.

Eventually trouble will follow these cities around like Ghengis Khan followed around the Tartars and Keraits. Younger people flee to newer fresher enviorns. Houston, Dallas + Atlanta may maybe able to keep a couple of strongholds but the majority of the neighborhoods in those cities will not be able to keep up with Father Time. Its easier for wealthy and the middle class to move than rebuild, just as its easier to take on poor people than knock down hundreds of thousands of houses as they age.
Lots of Houston is undeveloped so I don't know why Houston won't be able to keep up with the growth. We can't control the growth, people move here because they want to; not cause we force them to.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:26 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,562 times
It felt like spring today in San Antonio! A couple of months of heat is okay in the summer, you can keep the frigid temps. I'm happy in the sunbelt! not to many 100 degree days! I think the decaying rustbelt of today will colapse way before the sunbelt will!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.