Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 05:35 AM

146 posts, read 449,527 times

Advertisements

I guess I'm a very observant person, because since I go to school in DC and am from California, I noticed a few major differences between houses in the East/West (including New York, NJ, and so on, using Google Street View).

West:

-Most houses are more modern-looking
-Roof shingles are thick
-Roof tends to slope a bit past the wall
(if that doesn't make sense, think of the end of the roof meeting the wall
of the house...then the roof still continues on then stops after about 6
inches or so)
-Not as many chimneys

East:

-Brick/colonial houses
-Chimneys (especially on the sides of houses, as opposed to the roof)
-Thin roof shingle (IMHO, I think that's ugly)
-Roof tends to meet the wall, and that's it - no "cover"

I wonder why the East/West are so different in housing styles. That said, I noticed some houses here in California are Eastern style, and some California-style houses in the East. However, I notice more diversity in housing styles here in California, while the East all seem to be the same. I may be wrong? I hope I'm making sense?

I really want to see your opinions on this...so please let's have an interesting discussion on this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 05:47 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
I love the way houses look in the southwest. I love that italian style tile they use for the roof, I forgot the name of it. The houses are also much newer. I'll probably head over to CA or NV when I retire (long time from now though).

Old 01-08-2009, 09:14 AM

784 posts, read 2,265,513 times
I actually prefer houses in the east. I dont like spanish style decor. I think houses in places like California are fugly. I dont care for their colors and their arch style architect. I like the architect of the east. They look more homey, comfortable, nicer, etc. I know there are houses in the west that aren't spanish style but god I hate those. The east and midwest are the best. At least in my eyes.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:28 AM

304 posts, read 904,787 times
i like west houses way better

east homes look old and stinky with nasty hardwood floors

people there tend to wear their shoes in the house since their floors are hard...and its just gross and filthy..

i visited several apartments of some associates while in nyc and i was disgusted

Old 01-08-2009, 09:31 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1369 View Post
Roof tends to slope a bit past the wall
(if that doesn't make sense, think of the end of the roof meeting the wall
of the house...then the roof still continues on then stops after about 6
inches or so)
Andy, when you're talking about roof meeting the wall, do you mean eaves? If so, those are very common everywhere. They're a weather protection feature, and few pitched-roof buildings are constructed without them.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:33 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,572,537 times
The Spanish inspired houses out west are just awful! That's all I have to say.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:32 PM

1,126 posts, read 4,563,175 times
i like the traditional/colonial 1800/s look commonly found in new england. its just a matter of paying 700k plus for decent one....

Old 01-08-2009, 02:50 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
Generally west coast houses to me look unattractive. Idk what it is, i just much prefer eastern homes

Old 01-08-2009, 02:50 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
i like west houses way better

east homes look old and stinky with nasty hardwood floors

people there tend to wear their shoes in the house since their floors are hard...and its just gross and filthy..

i visited several apartments of some associates while in nyc and i was disgusted
After living for 22 years with carpet and then switching to hardwood floors I wasn't sold at first. Within a few months though I LOVED the hardwood floors. I'd never go back.

You just put down rugs in whatever fashion you would like. Hardwood floors make a place seem much cleaner than carpet after living with hardwood for a few years.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:19 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,687,009 times
I Like the west houses better than the East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.