Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2009, 08:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Correct but Pittsburgh's population exploded at an earlier time, giving it more distinct, unique, historic neighborhoods. Charlotte's population exploded at a later time when things such as strip malls and suburbs were big.
I'll say this one more time. Of course Pittsburgh's neighborhoods are unique. Every city's are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 08:58 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
Some do. Some do not. I would not say that a place like Charlotte has many unique neighborhoods for its size due to the time frame it grew. My personal experiences from working there verifies this.
Places like Pittsburgh grew at an earlier time so it will have more unique places.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:03 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Pittsburgh's architecture is a gem and fairly unknow to most people I believe. You really see pride in the older buildings even where you would not expect it like factories and warehouses. You can even see this in the older skyscrapers.

It is a real shame how much our standards - all over the country - declined in the 1900s, especially after WW2. Buildings began to look like cheap boxes with a flat roof and no detail. Things seem to be slowly getting better these days. Even the McMansions are a step in the right direction although some of them are so over the top you feel like your going to vomit lol.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:03 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Some do. Some do not. I would not say that a place like Charlotte has many unique neighborhoods for its size due to the time frame it grew. My personal experiences from working there verifies this.
Places like Pittsburgh grew at an earlier time so it will have more unique places.
I wonder how many strip malls are in the greater Pittsburgh area? Or is all retail in unique, historic buildings?

You just really don't understand, do you? "Unique" doesn't refer to a certain era...there was crap built in 1900 just like there crap built today, and there is unique, interesting architecture from 1990 just as there was in 1900.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:24 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,191,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I wonder how many strip malls are in the greater Pittsburgh area? Or is all retail in unique, historic buildings?

You just really don't understand, do you? "Unique" doesn't refer to a certain era...there was crap built in 1900 just like there crap built today, and there is unique, interesting architecture from 1990 just as there was in 1900.
Most of the housing stock made 100 years ago was of high quality. Most of the stock today is crap comparatively. It's all about saving/making money today--there is little craftsmanship.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:55 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Most of the housing stock made 100 years ago was of high quality. Most of the stock today is crap comparatively. It's all about saving/making money today--there is little craftsmanship.
You do understand that much of Atlanta's in-town housing stock is 100 years old...right? I can't speak for housing in other cities of the South, but none of the larger cities are "new" and they all have tons of housing from the turn-of-the-century.

I'm not sure you can really back a statement like "most of the stock today is crap" when you don't know that to be true. Some of it is, some of it isn't. There was some crap built in 1920 also - there is a pile of crap next door to me from that era that hasn't held up, while the rest of my neighbors (and mine) has held up well.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
You do understand that much of Atlanta's in-town housing stock is 100 years old...right?
And you understand that nowhere in my sentence included the term "Atlanta" or implies Atlanta regardless of the context...right?

Old 01-14-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure you can really back a statement like "most of the stock today is crap" when you don't know that to be true. Some of it is, some of it isn't. There was some crap built in 1920 also - there is a pile of crap next door to me from that era that hasn't held up, while the rest of my neighbors (and mine) has held up well.
Just my experience with builders and urban planners--most seem to think the art of building a house died long ago...it's just an assembly line at this point for most of the stuff built.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:19 AM

351 posts, read 649,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
I've said this many times on this forum, but I'll summarize it again.

Simply because Pittsburgh is losing population doesn't mean that it is losing many people to the sunbelt or is stuck trying to revive manufacturing. Our loss in population has mostly to do with an elderly dying population and a missing generation of child-producing 30 year-olds. We have less blue collar jobs than most other cities, zero steel mills, and an economy that has truly transitioned from industry to health care, education and technology. If you want evidence of this: University of Pittsburgh Medical Center is now the largest employer in the city; we have three nationally ranked universities with CMU, Pitt, Duquesne in addition to over 25 other area universities; Pittsburgh has been named the top city in the world (outside of Japan) in robotics and is huge into AI. Additionally, PNC is now the 5th largest bank in the U.S.
Though you are right that our political system is backwards, the city is not in as bad shape as many suspect. Population figures don't tell the whole story.
Good call, dude. I think Pittsburgh is in a different position than Cleveland or Detroit. I don't know the Pittsburgh story very well but I do know that it's in the middle of a pretty dramatic transition from an old steel manufacturing-based economy to a more service-based one. They've revived downtown, maintained old historic neighborhoods like Squirrel Hill, funded their universities, and tried to attract new businesses. And I guess that's a good part of the equation--although the unions and tax-loving leaders in Pennsylvania make the whole transition a little tricky.

I'd love to see Pittsburgh pull it off. It's a great town.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Answers View Post
And I guess that's a good part of the equation--although the unions and tax-loving leaders in Pennsylvania make the whole transition a little tricky.

I'd love to see Pittsburgh pull it off. It's a great town.
Both Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania are a political mess. People always vote down party lines regardless of who's running. One person on this forum said it perfectly: the Democrat party can run Timothy McVeigh against the Pope and the Democrats will still pull out the victory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.