Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 02:20 PM

170 posts, read 325,900 times

Advertisements

Just because many manufacturing plants have closed over the decades does not necessarily mean people will uproot themselves and their family for the West or South. Many Many Rust Belt cities are also re-inventing themselves, as is the case with Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Home is where the heart is....thats where they grew up......and the same applies to other regions too.

People in the Rust Belt/Midwest also know the West does not necessarily have a better quality of life, not to mention more crime, worse air quality and cost of living. Just look at the Inland Empire and Central Valley of California if U dont believe me. CA has three cities in Chapter 11 and people are now leaving CA by the droves. And if I am not mistaken the Western states of California, Nevada, Arizona, and Oregon have among the highest unemployment rates in the country right now. The media wants U to think people R moving out of the Midwest when a plant closes, but its not true. Although Michigan is the exception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 07:27 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normcrok8 View Post
Although Michigan is the exception.

People are moving to Michigan.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:45 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,283,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkenstein91 View Post
I think this photo thread sums up Cleveland pretty well.

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/inde...606.msg630250/

Some nice areas, some not so nice areas, but overall the city has a lot of character. I can't wait to move back when I'm done with school.
Agreed on the character being illustrated here, thanks for posting.

I've been showing some out of town people around this past week from some warm sunbelt cities, and they were almost in denial with what I was showing then. "You know what, Cleveland is cool. I didn't expect this"

Perception seems to be a big obstacle nowadays, but many cities like Pittsburgh and Cleveland are completely reinventing themselves.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:56 PM

934 posts, read 1,440,843 times
People say the same thing about citizens of Tornado Alley. "Who would live there?"

Home is home. I personally admire people who stuck around places like Detroit because they love in their city so much.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:08 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
You can look at these things in 2 ways, sticking with something because it's your "comfort" zone or trying something new that might work better. Either way can be appropriate to the person, but I think the vast numbers of people stick to the comfort zone due to fear of change. I grew up with a few people who never left their comfort zone and it shows. Their ideas are from the 70's. No change or evolution in their minds. In fact, they are still talking about the same things they did in the 70's. I find that beyond scary.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normcrok8 View Post
Many Many Rust Belt cities are also re-inventing themselves, as is the case with Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Home is where the heart is....thats where they grew up......and the same applies to other regions too.

I'm finding the "home" thing is more based on fantasy than reality. We have memories of something and always grant it golden status, though it wasn't that golden when it happened. OUr brains are playing tricks on us! Somehow it becomes bigger and better than reality. Trouble is, it's just in our minds. Remeniscing more than anything else.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:48 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
I didn't feel it where I lived at all. One neighborhood I lived, there was an internist, podiatrist, city manager, postal worker, retired phone company, retired something else, a paramedic, etc., all in 1 block. All types of folks. Everyone mixed okay, as much as the West mixes. I'm not talking LA here, but I did not feel the classism that I feel in the East. I don't feel people in the West are "in your face" about anything. That's not the Western MO. The Western way is to evade, not discuss and avoid confrontation at all costs!
You have to go to the big metros on the west coast to see it. Blatant, crass materialism and status conscious people like I've rarely seen anywhere else.

And that whole smug attitude. Yuck. Had me flying out of there in no time.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:14 AM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You have to go to the big metros on the west coast to see it. Blatant, crass materialism and status conscious people like I've rarely seen anywhere else.

I that is where conflict comes from, as some people that moved to those places got use to that. So, when they move to a place with a more down to earth vibe, it can be hard for them to adjust, if they didn't know what to expect/research accordingly.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

I saw it in Phoenix metro, but not all areas ,but in Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, BIG time. Prescott, Flagg, not much. Smaller areas, like you say not so much. LA, yes I could imagine.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 07-16-2012 at 08:15 AM..

Old 07-16-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I that is where conflict comes from, as some people that moved to those places got use to that. So, when they move to a place with a more down to earth vibe, it can be hard for them to adjust, if they didn't know what to expect/research accordingly.
"Down to earth" what does that mean? Having your paint peeling off? Not flushing your toilet before you show a house? Mice droppings on your counter? Non-working A/C even though says differently in the stats? Roofs reshingled so much you can see it heave when you look at it? Cracks in the ceilings from God knows what? Bathrooms from the 50's? These are only a few of the things I saw. I actually saw a house where outside of the sliders were 4-5 feet drops. Drops, so if a child opens the door and steps out... In 2 rooms. Another one had wires coming out of the bathroom walls. I worried I might be electrocuted just passing by. Even my realtor said whoa.

Some of these things aren't "down to earth," they are a mindset of stagnation and apathy. There's a difference. I wonder why these people cannot sell their homes or give them away. Researching a place on paper and living it are 2 different things. You can research, visit, etc., but nothing prepares you for living in a place, day in and out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.