Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2009, 06:03 AM

5 posts, read 9,099 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I'm graduating from Ohio State and applying to Teach For America. I'm having trouble figuring out where I'd like to live between the three cities (Houston, LA or NYC)

I am a black female and I would like to live in a very diverse city (diverse doesn't mean only around other black people but ppl of all ethnicities). I would prefer a large city that has a lot to do, especially for young people. I'm sure all the cities are diverse but is everyone intermingled or are people more separate?

I've visited cities like London and Hong Kong so I can appreciate good public transportation but is it unpleasant to use public transportation in NYC during the colder months? I really hate living through Ohio winters. Also is traffic in Houston and LA totally unbearable?

I think I'm leaning towards Houston because it's way more affordable than the other two. Can anyone compare these three cities? I've read through a few threads and I don't see anything that also mentions Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 06:40 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,519,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midori237 View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm graduating from Ohio State and applying to Teach For America. I'm having trouble figuring out where I'd like to live between the three cities (Houston, LA or NYC)

I am a black female and I would like to live in a very diverse city (diverse doesn't mean only around other black people but ppl of all ethnicities). I would prefer a large city that has a lot to do, especially for young people. I'm sure all the cities are diverse but is everyone intermingled or are people more separate?

I've visited cities like London and Hong Kong so I can appreciate good public transportation but is it unpleasant to use public transportation in NYC during the colder months? I really hate living through Ohio winters. Also is traffic in Houston and LA totally unbearable?

I think I'm leaning towards Houston because it's way more affordable than the other two. Can anyone compare these three cities? I've read through a few threads and I don't see anything that also mentions Houston.
As far as cost of living is concerned, your dollar will go further in Houston than NYC or LA. As far as things to do, you will find that all three have an immense number of activies and nightlife as well as diversity. The city schools are probably decent in all three cities as well. I don't have kids yet so I can't really say I have researched schools here in Houston and don't know about the quality in the other two either though.

The edge NYC would have is in the public transportation department but Houston and LA are working on improving theirs.

Overall, since activities, diversity and culture are pretty even, choose Houston if cost of living is your thing, choose NYC if you want public transportation and flip a coin between LA and Houston if you want warmer winters.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:58 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,935,082 times
As you are getting started I would look at Houston. 4th largest city in US and home to 2nd most Fortune 500 companies. No state income tax and very affordable for big city.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:23 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,947,320 times
Well I can tell you what it's like here in NYC since I teach here. But I grew up right outside the city, so it was fairly easy for me to get a job. Usually locals have an edge over people who are trying to relocate.

The teaching job market is extremely tight right now. Schools are losing lots of money here in the public schools. Your prospects of finding a job greatly depend on what your certification would be. If you're certified in Science and Math, you'll have a better chance. A few years ago people used to say that if you had a pulse, you could find a job teaching in NYC public schools. Not anymore.

As far as the pay, it's very good. But still, even with the high cost of living, you can still find a decent place to live. I think the starting salary is 48,000 and that's just base without a Masters degree. You can also get $3400 a year if you work in a Title 1 school (most of them are either in parts of Brooklyn, the south Bronx, and Harlem). I'm a 2nd year teacher, on a Masters step, and I get the $3400--I make 58,000, which is MUCH higher than most areas of the country. I can afford a one bedroom or studio up to about 1800 or so. I have a 1 bedroom apartment in a nice/safe neighborhood in Queens, right by the river and a few minutes from Manhattan. At this salary I could probably find a studio in a decent neighborhood in Manhattan, but I'd rather have my cheaper apartment so I can save money.

The schools in NYC can be either very good or very bad. I teach in the south Bronx and my school is like a war zone. There have been 150 physical attacks on teachers from these (k-5) students from September-December. Many of these kids are violent and have very little respect for teachers/adults. It largely depends on the school though. If you have a supportive/strong administration, you wouldn't have the problems we have.

It's much more difficult to get a job in one of the decent schools in good/wealthy areas of the city. Nearly all teachers start out the first few years in a bad neighborhood, then work their way to better schools/neighborhoods.

It's still great living here. I love NY, born and raised here. I wouldn't live anywhere else (well, maybe when I retire, we'll see).

If you have any questions, message me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.