Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 04:51 PM

3 posts, read 3,739 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to the US, and am lucky enough to have some freedom as to where to live. I have visited a few places in the US, not all on the 'beaten track' and want some ideas from folks of whatthey consider teh best places. I dont really want to be in a city, though i love Boston and Charlotte NC. I would really like to be somewhere somewhat warmer than Toronto ! I would love to be near mountains, like the Appalachians, and lakes (have been to teh Adirondacks many times!) I dont mind being somewhere that gets some snow, but no snow would be good too. To me what would be most important is the community . Somewhere small enough that i could integrate into the community and contribute through volunteering, church etc. I love country and folk music, southern rock, and of course the southern accent. Even though I am a Brit, i have been intorduced to football (go Pats!) and grits, cornbread, livermush and of course BBQ and fired chicken (not necessarily in that order or all together!)
I am sure loads of you will have many differing ideas as to where is a a good place to live. one proviso is that i would need to be within an hour of an airport that is either an international hub, or an easy hop to an international hub such as Dulles, Charlotte, Denver, Chicago, DFW. Any thoughts anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 05:58 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,466,711 times
Georgia. Atlanta has an international airport. There are lakes in the area and mountains nearby in North Georgia. In the suburbs of Atlanta, you could find a small community. Plus the weather is nice. Snow is rare.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:51 AM

93 posts, read 457,221 times
The area around Knoxville (in east Tennessee). No international airport, but if you check the airport's website you'll see that flights from there easily connect through major airports on the east coast. Mountains, lakes, rivers, .... You might want to sift through info on the Knoxville thread of the Tennessee forum for recommendations on specific towns / communities around there. Good luck.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:06 AM

611 posts, read 1,458,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm24 View Post
The area around Knoxville (in east Tennessee). No international airport, but if you check the airport's website you'll see that flights from there easily connect through major airports on the east coast. Mountains, lakes, rivers, .... You might want to sift through info on the Knoxville thread of the Tennessee forum for recommendations on specific towns / communities around there. Good luck.
Great suggestion! I am in NO way biased, of course.

But seriously, Knoxville and the surrounding areas certainly seem to have a lot of the good qualities you're interested in. We've got great people, great food, lots of Southern culture, plenty of folk music (you might want to learn the words to "Rocky Top" before you visit ), and an exceedingly popular local football team. Snow is a rarity around here, but it still manages to get pretty cold from time to time during the winter (we've got a low of about 5 degrees for tonight, but that's not the norm).

I agree with the above poster in that you should give the Tennessee/Knoxville forum a visit.

Edit - I just noticed what you said about lakes. Basically, you can't throw a rock without hitting some kind of water in East Tennessee.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:31 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Consider someplace southwest of St. Louis, on the fringe of the Ozarks. Missouri is, in my opinion, one of the nicest states to live in.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:31 AM

3 posts, read 3,739 times
Thanks for the info! i will look into both Knoxville (I know some people who live there) and Atlanta, again i know some people there

Old 01-15-2009, 12:36 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,822,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Consider someplace southwest of St. Louis, on the fringe of the Ozarks. Missouri is, in my opinion, one of the nicest states to live in.
I agree. It gets cold, though, probably more so than Georgia. But the Ozarks are very beautiful, with the Lake of the Ozarks and the big hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.