Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 02:24 AM

673 posts, read 4,069,712 times

Advertisements

What cities are under-rated for arts, entertaining areas and interesting neighborhoods?

I think the C's in Ohio: Cincinnati, especially Columbus, Cleveland are very under-rated in this area.

Columbus has some amazing areas to suit almost everyones taste along High street from the German Village all the way up to the Clintonville area.
The amount of galleries in Columbus is amazing and its also tons of great retail shops and coffee shops.

Also, Pittsburgh with Carson Street, Oakland and the Strip District are very under-rated in the nightlife area, lots of people in their 20s there going to college in Pittsburgh.

Any other cities that are under-rated on arts, entertaining areas and interesting neighborhoods?

I was also wondering if anyone is familiar with Buffalo, Milwaukee and St. Louis and would consider them under-rated on Arts, neighborhoods and entertainment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 11:56 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
I went to grad school in Milwaukee. Very interesting neighborhoods; arts and entertainment are pretty average for a city of its size.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:57 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,907,544 times
Charleston SC is underrated and yet has a wonderful arts and entertainment culture

!) we have a great arts festival each May called Spoleto Festival--google and take a look
2) along with Spoleto we have a more down to earth version for the masses called Piccillo Spoleto
3) great art museums, and art galleries
4) a thriving theatre(the first and longest running theatre in the US--Dock Street Theatre--where Porgy and Bess was written and performed0
5) Ballet company, Symphony orchestra
6) wonderful historic sites and homes
7)cultural events like Gullah festival--with native gullah arts and crafts
8)local music scene

Old 03-09-2007, 01:36 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times
Yes definately Cincinnati is one of them. They always have something going on here (alot of times it's free). It's a shame that alot of the locals don't take advantage of it. My fave neighborhoods architecturally are: East Walnut Hills, Mt. Adams, OTR, parts of Pleasant Ridge/Kennedy Heights, and the Columbia Tusculum area.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:47 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times
Jacksonville - my friends are always surprised at what we have to offer when they come for a visit.

They are also surprised at how affordable things are here.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:05 PM

653 posts, read 3,408,644 times
Milwaukee is under-rated. Weather aside. Albuquerque New Mexico is under-rated.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:48 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times
I've never been there, but I've read glowing review on Louisville that have portrayed the city as one with a thriving cultural scenes, and from pics I've seen, it has quite a few interesting-looking neighborhoods. I'm curious to check it out one of these days.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:44 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,672,214 times
I agree with Columbus
Many do not realize how much the city has changed in the past decades. The city had a urban core that was awaiting a good economy and gentrification, Columbus' urban core has become very interesting. The neighborhoods mentioned right north of downtown, Vicorian Village and the Short North are really entertaining and interesting.

Columbus isn't an urban pre industrial immigrant neighborhood interesting, but more of a surprise hip/gentrification interesting.

The Columbus urban neighborhoods are best for the boutiques, amazing restaurant scene (very on par with major major american metros), and the hip/gay aspects of the neighborhoods. I find that many unfamilar with columbus, also who haven't visited in awhile, are not aware of these neighborhoods.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:52 PM

25 posts, read 175,975 times
Orland get's a very bad rap because of disney. But beyond Disney is a bigger and very exciting Metro of more than 2 million people.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:53 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,856 times
Charlotte, NC. New arrivals here are surprised at how much there is to do here. NoDa arts district is a really nice, funky area. The performing arts venues uptown are beautiful. Great streetcar neighborhoods with huge oaks drapped across the streets. Lots of outdoor recreation; U.S. National Whitewater Center, Lake Norman, Lake Wylie, Crowders Mnt. SP, Two stunning nature preserves (one 850+ acres, the other 1100 acres), parks/greenways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.