Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 10:17 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,851,585 times

Advertisements

Idaho has a bright future. One of the most beautiful states in the nation is being discovered in a big way and Green energy is becoming the rage in Idaho which is a very self sufficient and sustainable state.

I would also include other Western states such as Oregon, Washington, Utah, New Mexico. Colorado maybe but I consider Colorado one of the more overexposed Western states..kind of burnt out.. but they still have a future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 10:34 AM

23,309 posts, read 43,763,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
North Carolina is the new Sunbelt state that's gonna boom. Diversified economy and attracting people of all types, skills and age groups.

California has already peaked, Florida has got to turn a lot of things around, Georgia is confined to Atlanta, Arizona is too much of a retirement location and Nevada cannot base the entire economy around gambling.
Not so. The mountain communities are experiencing rapid growth (popular with retirees and former Floridians), the coastal counties' population is projected to grow by a third in the next 20 years, and second-tier cities such as Augusta are also experiencing significant growth.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:09 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,767 posts, read 4,120,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
What mass water shortage? My state has more square miles of water per inhabitant than any other in the country, Minnesota included. Heck, with 55 inches of rain a year, we're not having any problems.
Would it have killed you to mention exactly what state you're talking about??

Old 01-16-2009, 11:15 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,873,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Well, Manhattan, KS just picked up some more jobs recently.
Kansas gets final homeland security OK for biodefense lab - Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/977432.html - broken link)
Wow, very nice. Seems like a hell of a project.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:59 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,944,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I never accused you of anything, if you choose to read something into it, thats your choice.
Speaking of condescending, I could say the same for you, along with just a wee bit of clinical passive agressiveness thrown in.
To quote the peerless Gerswin; Lets Call The Whole Thing Off".
Oh. Clinical passive aggressiveness. As if you're a medical professional? According to your bio, you're a interior decorator. Now, I know there are lots of narcissistic personalities in that biz, but I don't think you come close to being an expert. And there's nothing passive about my aggressiveness, come to think of it.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:40 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
How can you say it's growing by 100,000 a year during our downtown when it really only started in full force a few months ago? I think people need to wait a few more months to see how this is REALLY affecting areas.
Huh? CO has been growing by about average 100,000 ppl every year for the past 20 years now, mainly due to in-migration. Even in this economic downturn it is still growing about the same rate. And yes the downtown has real potential since it is actually planning way ahead (all those empty lofts, light rail expansion, etc.), I see it as a good thing for now, prob even for another 20 years but let's just hope it doesn't outgrow itself, an economic boom and subsequent illegal immigration post 2020 may diminish it's livelihood factor, let's also not forget it is a DRY state.

Metro Denver Population Growth due to In-migration of College Grads

Old 01-17-2009, 05:30 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,968,010 times
I think the Great Plains states have enormous potential.

Instead of government subsidies to farmers for excess grains, etc...it looks like things MIGHT actually move to an alternative fuels economy with using biograins as fuels and wind energy - two areas where the Plain States could have an emormous potential offerings.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:12 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,782,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Not so. The mountain communities are experiencing rapid growth (popular with retirees and former Floridians), the coastal counties' population is projected to grow by a third in the next 20 years, and second-tier cities such as Augusta are also experiencing significant growth.
Metro Atlanta's growth dwarfs that of any other city in the state currently. And Augusta's growth really isn't significant; it's just average. Columbus's growth largely depends on how many troops get deployed.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:28 PM

23,309 posts, read 43,763,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Metro Atlanta's growth dwarfs that of any other city in the state currently. And Augusta's growth really isn't significant; it's just average. Columbus's growth largely depends on how many troops get deployed.
And I believe that I was responding to a post that stated that GA's growth is confined to Atlanta, which is not so for the reasons I enumerated.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:24 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,782,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
And I believe that I was responding to a post that stated that GA's growth is confined to Atlanta, which is not so for the reasons I enumerated.
Practically, it is; I seriously doubt that the poster meant so in an absolute sense. The Census Bureau estimates have the state of Georgia growing by 1,358,297 persons between 2000-2007. During that same time, the Atlanta MSA grew by 996,463 persons; that's a whopping 73% of the state's growth. That leaves 361,834 people throughout the rest of the state, which is not a whole lot of people when split among the remaining MSAs within Georgia over a seven year period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.