Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Midwestern City Would You Most Like to Move to?
Cleveland 9 6.08%
Columbus 10 6.76%
Cincinnati 6 4.05%
Detroit 2 1.35%
Indianapolis 11 7.43%
St. Louis 22 14.86%
Kansas City 8 5.41%
Milwaukee 19 12.84%
Minneapolis 42 28.38%
Other--Specify 19 12.84%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 06:39 PM

343 posts, read 1,381,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
First of all, "progressive" usually means liberal, while "independent minded" usually mean libertarian. What do you mean by this? How can a city be both? Have you actually ever been to Minneapolis or Milwaukee? I greatly doubt that you have or I guarantee you wouldn't describe Milwaukee as a "crap hole" if you had. Being that you are Canadian, I'm sure you prefer Minneapolis because feels more like a Canadian city than an American city. You know, frigid cold temperatures, impeccably clean streets, and an incredibly small minority population for a city its size. Minneapolis is basically a wealthy enclave for yuppies from all over the Midwest. It's been gentrified to the nth degree. Cities like Denver, Seattle, and Minneapolis are beautiful no doubt, but that perfection was achieved at the expense of destroying each city's unique essence and character. No thanks, I prefer the grit and grime that generally accompanies life in a real big city.
I'm not sure what your talking about, Vancouver has way more minoirites then Milwaukee probably, granted most of them are Asian here. Diversity does not equal black people.

Actually I lived in Minneapolis for three years. Of course its not great, but its better then most other places in the midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 07:11 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,044,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
I'm not sure what your talking about, Vancouver has way more minoirites then Milwaukee probably, granted most of them are Asian here. Diversity does not equal black people.

Actually I lived in Minneapolis for three years. Of course its not great, but its better then most other places in the midwest.
Demographics of Vancouver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Canada doesn't use the same ethnic classifications as the United States census. From what I could gather Vancouver is roughly 39.71% Asian.

Milwaukee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Milwaukee Demographics
43.6% White
39.5% Black
14.9% Hispanic or Latino
3.6% Asian
0.8% Native American
0.05% Pacific Islander
7.3% Other
2.1% 2 or more races

Demographics of Minneapolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Minneapolis Demographics
65.2% White
16.6% Black
10.6% Hispanic or Latino
5.8% Asian
1.3% Native American
0.1% Pacific Islander

Old 04-02-2009, 08:32 PM

604 posts, read 1,837,132 times
xxclimberx seems like a wanna be know-it-all. Diversity does not equal Chinese either. And i hate it when people make all of the midwest seem ghetto or countryish. More people live in MN and WI than BC, and one is probably 1/2 the size and the other a third. I'm sure there is as much wealth in MN and WI than there is in BC.

look at this house in MN
http://www.edinarealty.com/Listing/ListingDetail.aspx?Listing=25274699&Image=1&edit (broken link)

Old 04-02-2009, 08:51 PM

23,771 posts, read 28,862,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.or.the.nugget View Post
xxclimberx seems like a wanna be know-it-all. Diversity does not equal Chinese either. And i hate it when people make all of the midwest seem ghetto or countryish. More people live in MN and WI than BC, and one is probably 1/2 the size and the other a third. I'm sure there is as much wealth in MN and WI than there is in BC.

look at this house in MN
1400 Bracketts Point Road, Orono, MN | Listing Information (http://www.edinarealty.com/Listing/ListingDetail.aspx?Listing=25274699&Image=1&edit - broken link)
You Idiot! That's the insane asylum, I would know.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:59 PM

really???
i just found it on another thread. So how do you know???
And thats a pretty effing nice insane asylum...sign me up!!!

Old 04-02-2009, 09:10 PM

actually i dont think thats an asylum
i googled it

Old 04-02-2009, 11:25 PM

23,771 posts, read 28,862,087 times
Quote:
actually i dont think thats an asylum
i googled it
oh, sorry. it looks familiar with my hands in front of my face. never mind.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:59 AM

343 posts, read 1,381,128 times
Quote:

look at this house in MN
1400 Bracketts Point Road, Orono, MN | Listing Information (http://www.edinarealty.com/Listing/ListingDetail.aspx?Listing=25274699&Image=1&edit - broken link)
Nice house, but it does not prove anything. I am not saying the midwest is ghetto LOL.

And as far as diversity goes, Vancouver is a heck of alot more diverse then either Minneapolis or Milwauke.

Chinese 17.69
Indian 7.22
Filipino 3.13
Korean 1.48
Japanese 1.37
Vietnamese 1.16
Other Asian 2.66
Total Asian 34.71

That figure does not include the number of "first nations peoples" (in America better known as native american) which B.C. has a pretty big population. BTW in Canada arabs are listed as Asian.

Those numbers don't even include the number of Latins, and Blacks living in Vancouver. Which easily add up a few more percentage points. That mixed in with the number of immigrants from eastern europe and other places you get a pretty diverse city.

I would venture to say the suburbs of Vancouver are a heck of alot more diverse then anywhere in the midwest. Places like Abbotsford and Surrey have double digit minority populations. When you walk the streets and even the suburbs of Vancouver you hear people speaking many different languages.

It seems that the largest minority populations in Minneapolis and Milwakuee are African American.

I doubt there is more wealth in Minnesota and Wisconsin then B.C. I suppose its possible though.

Last edited by XXclimberX; 04-03-2009 at 01:08 AM..

Old 04-03-2009, 01:41 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,044,678 times
Quote:
Nice house, but it does not prove anything. I am not saying the midwest is ghetto LOL.

And as far as diversity goes, Vancouver is a heck of alot more diverse then either Minneapolis or Milwauke.

Chinese 17.69
Indian 7.22
Filipino 3.13
Korean 1.48
Japanese 1.37
Vietnamese 1.16
Other Asian 2.66
Total Asian 34.71

That figure does not include the number of "first nations peoples" (in America better known as native american) which B.C. has a pretty big population. BTW in Canada arabs are listed as Asian.
Native Americans make up 16.97% of Vancouver's population.

Arabs, Persians, and all other people of Middle Eastern descent are considered White by the U.S. Census Bureau.

Quote:
Those numbers don't even include the number of Latins, and Blacks living in Vancouver. Which easily add up a few more percentage points. That mixed in with the number of immigrants from eastern europe and other places you get a pretty diverse city.
0.56% Caribbean + 1.08% African + 1.36% Latino = Vancouver's very tiny Black and Latino population.

Immigrants from eastern Europe = more White people = Vancouver is not more diverse than Milwaukee or Minneapolis.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:44 AM

I agree vancouver is more divers
but so you can count chinese, korean, japanese and vietnamese (all look relativley similar)
but in minneapolis you count it as only white when there are significant german, italian, irish, norwegian, polish, swedish and finnish communities?
it should be caucasian and East asian or break each group up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.