Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2011, 01:43 PM

961 posts, read 2,565,301 times

Advertisements

We were lured back to the Midwest, specifically the north shore of Chicago, by DH's job. We grew up in MI and as soon we got married, we moved to CA. We loved it for 15 years, but because of the bad turn the economy took, we had to make the sacrifice to come here. I honestly cannot understand why anyone lives here. I miss the natural beauty, diverse landscape, weather, open minded people, air quality (we lived in Santa Cruz) and fresh produce of California just to name a few. I hope we can get back to the west coast before winter sets in. The Midwest is just not for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 02:41 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I've heard that the Greenville region is nice though.
Nice smaller city.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:42 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Rock Hill itself isn't the most exciting place, but it's within the largest and most dynamic metro area in the Carolinas. That has to count for something. Imagine if you didn't have that proximity to Charlotte.

I shoot myself! Very conservative place here

Old 07-10-2011, 03:16 PM

643 posts, read 1,485,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
We were lured back to the Midwest, specifically the north shore of Chicago, by DH's job. We grew up in MI and as soon we got married, we moved to CA. We loved it for 15 years, but because of the bad turn the economy took, we had to make the sacrifice to come here. I honestly cannot understand why anyone lives here. I miss the natural beauty, diverse landscape, weather, open minded people, air quality (we lived in Santa Cruz) and fresh produce of California just to name a few. I hope we can get back to the west coast before winter sets in. The Midwest is just not for us.
Well, geeze, jaynetarzana. Santa Cruz is just about as high as the bar (IMO) can be set! I've lived well over 10 years each on both coasts (a few in the Bay area) and over 10 years in Chicagoland. I completely agree with your comments ~ and hope you can back to Santa Cruz very soon. If we could make Santa Cruz work in terms of careers and economics, we'd be there in a flash. Although I must admit that I wish that when we moved to Chicago we'd chosen the North Shore instead of Hinsdale. I hear good things about the burbs on the north side. We're in Maine now. About as far from Santa Cruz as I ever thought I'd be. <Sigh>

Old 07-10-2011, 03:34 PM

961 posts, read 2,565,301 times
I know, Sunday1, we lived in a little slice of paradise and I've shed many a tear over having left it. Prior to Santa Cruz, we lived in San Diego for 10 years and loved that too although having grown up in the Midwest, the weather was a bit monotonous and we missed the greenery. So we were happy when the offer came to move to Santa Cruz. It certainly wasn't perfect, but it was as close to perfect as we have ever found.

Thankfully, I spent a ton of time on CD prior to our move and the nice people directed us to Evanston. If it hadn't been for that, it would have made our time here completely unbearable. This has been the lesser of the evils for us. We were hoping to be back in California before the beginning of this next school year, but it doesn't look as though that is going to happen.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:15 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post

I was in Santa Cruz in April. I did not see much in the way of jobs there. The amusement park on the beach is nice.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:52 PM

410 posts, read 832,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Maybe just a little more difficult for those who have a spouse that is adamant about staying put.
And those with no money. It pisses me off when people say "just leave". It's not that easy, even if you are single. It takes a pretty healthy bank account to just up and leave.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:16 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbird View Post
And those with no money. It pisses me off when people say "just leave". It's not that easy, even if you are single. It takes a pretty healthy bank account to just up and leave.
Amen.

If it were that easy we'd all be where we want to be.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:22 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,200,881 times
I want to just leave. With no money and all that but I'm stuck in Orlando. it doesn't take a lot to actually leave, it's having enough pieces in place to fall on when you get where your going?

Old 07-18-2011, 04:52 PM

410 posts, read 832,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
I want to just leave. With no money and all that but I'm stuck in Orlando. it doesn't take a lot to actually leave, it's having enough pieces in place to fall on when you get where your going?
Well, it would depend if you have a job lined up or not. If not, you really can't leave without a few month's salary in the bank. Even if you do have a job lined up, there is first, last, security, utility deposits, pet deposit (if applicable), travel expenses for your destination (gas, hotel), etc. You need a few grand just to be able to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.