Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:42 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
my town went about 65% McCain, so I can't imagine people as a whole are shouting from the rooftop, any disappointment is usually kept to yourself.

Even us conservatives are rooting him on. It's simply the right thing to do; he is OUR President as well and deserves our support.

BTW, I loved his inaugural speech, it was uplifting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 09:44 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post

No doubt about that. That man is a good speaker. It's going to be so refreshing to have a smooth articulate speaker in the White House.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:04 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
I thought him messing up in the swearing in made him seem more... human then people project him as, but his speech was quite amazing, one of the best things I've ever heard.
Actually Obama didn't mess up.

The Cheif Justice is new, and apparently didn't study the oath very well, because he screwed up reading the second section.

When Obama paused, it was because he knew that what was just read to him was actually incorrect, so he kinda looked at Roberts a little weird. Roberts realized what he'd done, and tried to correct himself quickly, but by that time Obama was just repeating what was said to move the process along.

In the end it doesn't matter at all if he reads the oath or not, he was already president at noon before the oath was read.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:08 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,871 times
I'm sure he studied the oath. With hundreds of millions of people watching world wide, I would have messed up also.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:47 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
This is what P.Diddy has to say-

Diddy continued his emotional post saying "I feel blessed that I'm able to see this moment. I'm on Team Obama, I'm on Team USA, I'm on Team Black America -- I want to be greater than I am right now. And I want you to be greater. I want us to be greater."

new Jay Z song--Young Jeezy ft. Jay-Z - My President Is Black (Remix)

Im tired of all this already,he's black but so what we are all Americans and like P Diddy said he is on side Black America,it shouldnt even be about that, you dont see people all fanatic over Bush when he became president and people saying "Im on side White America", Im half Spanish and White and I dont think its right to like one person over another cause he is a minority.
\

Thats because we have had Caucasion Presidents for a while now. We as african americans are proud to have a black President if this would have been 50 years ago this wouldnt have happen. WE has African americans have faught so hard for our rights, caucasion people didnt have to go thru what african americans did and to see Dr kings Dreams come to past is amazing .And now that change has come people are embracing the moment. Since i have been living i have never seen people from all over come together like they did in Washington. Everyone knows that america is a segragated country but i have a feeling it wont be in years to come

Old 01-21-2009, 12:53 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,209,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
WE has African americans have faught so hard for our rights, caucasion people didnt have to go thru what african americans did
Jews and etc. ?

Old 01-21-2009, 01:46 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,125,816 times
Both Minneapolis and St. Paul are approximately 77% Democratic (in Minnesota it's called the DFL Party, which stands for Democratic-Farmer-Labor).

The last Republican to be elected Mayor of Minneapolis was P. Kenneth Peterson in 1957. The last Republican to even run for Mayor was, I believe, Mike Barros in 1981.

So, regarding President Obama, the answer is pretty clear.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:32 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,742,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
\

Thats because we have had Caucasion Presidents for a while now.
Exactly. All the other presidents were not a minority. He is the first. That's why it's significant, and thats why people celebrate. Its a milestone in history. And its a huge milestone for blacks in this country. It cannot be said enough.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:15 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Even us conservatives are rooting him on. It's simply the right thing to do; he is OUR President as well and deserves our support.

It's probably a minority opinion, but not all conservatives are rooting for Obama. Rush Limbaugh definitely isn't.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:29 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
But you have to think of who they always had to look up to. Rappers and sports stars. There were some blacks who held high positions in this country, but not many at all. Now younger kids will see there's a black President and say that they want to have that job some day. In the past, at least in the bad areas of NYC, most kids saw pimps and hustlers in fancy clothes and cars and said they want to be like them. Now they can look up to someone who plays a positive role in people's lives and the country. I teach in the south Bronx, so trust me, I see the types of people my kids have looked up to in the past...now they all look up to Obama and have lots of ideas about what they want to be. I ask them why and they tell me it's because a black man is President. Nothing wrong with that.
But, But......it angers me so much that black people now have a renewed sense of self worth and ambition!! My thinly-veiled bigotry is getting harder and harder to suppress!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.