Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 04:53 PM

681 posts, read 3,034,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaas View Post
I have been reading posts here and have to tell you ,it got me confused
whenever i decide on a city someone comes up an makes me start looking all over again

I am coming to the states in April for about one year . I'm young looking for hip,laid back, walkable, urban areas with restaurants, pedestrian culture,coffee shops ,very nice and friendly people.

basically a city with life in it and SAFE , i don't mind any type of weather or living cost. as long as it has lots of dining out, coffee shops , people walking ,shopping all around with friendly and fun people.

any idea?
You are probably going to have to be more specific. If you want a decently safe, hip, urban area and you don't mind the weather and cost is no issue...then you could pretty much write your ticket anywhere.

Without being more specific, you're going to get a different answer from everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 04:59 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,651 times
In terms of walkable, hip, coffee/cafe culture, energetic, and relatively safe....anything along the west coast from San Francisco up to Vancouver B.C.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:05 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,781,266 times
Completely agree with toughguy. The Pacific Northwest is what you want, it is very laid-back and has a strong urban/coffee shop culture.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:11 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,603,949 times
I'll third the Madison WI idea.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:50 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
The Westcott/University area and the Armory Square downtown district in Syracuse, NY.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:04 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,240 times
Boulder, Colorado, altho very expensive!

Old 01-22-2009, 04:38 PM

28 posts, read 102,093 times
Thank you for the replies

i was told that northwest aren't friendly, is that true?

and guys outnumber girls.which reduces the odds of finding my special someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpHawkeye View Post
You are probably going to have to be more specific. If you want a decently safe, hip, urban area and you don't mind the weather and cost is no issue...then you could pretty much write your ticket anywhere.

Without being more specific, you're going to get a different answer from everybody.
OK

I'm single 31 year old middle eastern , moving to the states for a year or more (depends on how work goes)
i did live in the states before for about 4 years (Denton TX,Clearwater FL and Arlington VA) that was almost 8 years ago

now I'm returning to start exporting auto parts and used cars ( sport cars and suvs)

I'm a laid back person don't drink anymore and i quite smoking so clubbing is not my thing anymore, i like dinning out going to coffee shops and bars or somewhere where people gather and hangout also shopping and movies.

looking to find a city that would fit me most don't mind any type of weather or how expensive it is .

hope this helps..

thanks

Old 01-22-2009, 05:30 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,108,466 times
My experience with northwesterners is that they are NICE but not particularly friendly. As in, don't expect to be gathered in to a circle of friends...although there are lots of non-native-northwesterners that you may be able to develop friendships with.

But other than that, your requirements really fit the NW very well. However, the "flashy" auto market isn't particularly large up here. Actually, most areas that fit your requirements aren't going to be really in love with automobiles (but SUVs/all weather vehicles are big here).

The classic east-coast cities would also be of interest to you, although the cost of living would be higher.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:33 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asaas View Post
Thank you for the replies

i was told that northwest aren't friendly, is that true?

and guys outnumber girls.which reduces the odds of finding my special someone

OK

I'm single 31 year old middle eastern , moving to the states for a year or more (depends on how work goes)
i did live in the states before for about 4 years (Denton TX,Clearwater FL and Arlington VA) that was almost 8 years ago

now I'm returning to start exporting auto parts and used cars ( sport cars and suvs)

I'm a laid back person don't drink anymore and i quite smoking so clubbing is not my thing anymore, i like dinning out going to coffee shops and bars or somewhere where people gather and hangout also shopping and movies.

looking to find a city that would fit me most don't mind any type of weather or how expensive it is .

hope this helps..

thanks
Interesting, there is a place in the Westcott neighborhood here in Syracuse that is owned by a Middle eastern guy that is a nice Sushi Bar that seems to be doing well by the name of Metro Lounge and Sushi Bar. Here's some info. on the establishment:Syracuse New Times - The Central New York Alternative, Local Bands & Events Calendar - Best Culture Clash

I believe they have bands there, as well as other forms of entertainment too. Here's some other places in the area you might like too:http://www.visitsyracuse.org/restaurants/cuisine/coffee (broken link)

http://www.downtownsyracuse.com/

http://www.armorysquareofsyracuse.com/

Old 01-22-2009, 06:36 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,822,034 times
You could look into parts of St. Louis. I'd stay out of South County, though.

But the Central West End area seems to be pretty well occupied by students. It's more of a singles area. Tower Grove South is also nice, but more of a family area.

Tower Grove South website:
Tower Grove South | An active and vibrant neighborhood on St. Louis' near south side
CWE (Central West End) website:
Central West End - St. Louis, MO (http://stlouis.missouri.org/cwe/ - broken link)
And maybe Downtown also
Downtown St. Louis Partnership - Home

I don't live in the city, but maybe someone that does can shed some light on good areas of St. Louis for you. The city does have a reputation, but from my understanding, those 3 neighborhoods are okay. Keep in mind, in any major city you will have some car break-ins and such.

The Hill is apparently nice as well. There are some good Italian restaurants there.
The Hill, St. Louis, MO (http://stlouis.missouri.org/thehill/ - broken link)

Keep in mind, South City does not have MetroLink (train) access, but there are busses. Still, you'd need a car in St. Louis in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.