Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 08:17 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,348,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Too many good stores close down and are re-placed with lame designer brand stores like Hollister and the GAP.
Very true. This is also something I despise about malls as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 08:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
All this is very stereotypical. I agree, malls seem to be similar from place to place, but guess what? So are downtowns! They all have a Main Street (not necessarily by that name of course) and they all have a big dept store or two, these days usually Macy's coast to coast. They have the same stores as the malls (Zales, Walgreen's, Penney's, etc). I'm sure I'll catch a lot of flak for this, but so what? I don't particularly like to shop at expensive little boutiques and the like. It is true that strip malls usually have more local stores than enclosed malls, due to lower rent.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:00 AM

418 posts, read 809,881 times
Nothing wrong with malls. However, parking can be Hell sometimes.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:50 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
All the malls I've been to are just rather generic and bland, with no character in any way. Same goes for the stores, most of the time (but not always). And the last time I was in a mall I was constantly being hounded by salesmen trying to get me to try this or that. Not to mention I buy almost anything I can get at a mall online for considerably cheaper. The whole experience just isn't pleasant to me. Actually, shopping in general isn't very pleasant to me, unless the store is just especially unusual and QUIET.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:07 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
No connection to the out of doors. I hate that when I'm in a mall it could be January or July and I would never know, because it's entirely closed in and temperature controlled, except for some skylights, which really don't let the outdoors in, they just let a little more light in. I also hate the materialistic atmosphere in a mall, as if buying a certain brand is imperative, even though the clothing in every store looks exactly the same and is woefully overpriced for the quality. Last but definitely not least, since I am the mother of a teenaged girl (who also hates malls, guess I raised her right, lol), if we go into a store geared towards young people, they always have obnoxious rock or hip-hop music blasting to the point where we can't even hear each other talk. They think it's hip or something, I guess, but honestly, I just feel sorry for the young people who work in those stores. Their brains are being fried and their hearing will be shot by the time they're my age!

Old 06-03-2011, 05:59 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,522,794 times
Malls have their place. You don't have to go to one all the time, but they certainly have their place and time.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:38 AM

418 posts, read 809,881 times
Malls are better IMO, for the main reason some people hate them: indoors, music, food, and more recognizable stores. I don't care about character, its the last thing on my mind when I'm shopping.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:39 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
You HAVE to drive to most malls. Parking, and full of women stores.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:12 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I go to a mall if I absolutely have to, but I don't care for shopping, and malls are centered around shopping (brilliant deduction there, eh?), so I don't get what the attraction is. I don't understand shopping for entertainment.

If I can order something online, I'd rather do that.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:15 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Personally, I like enclosed malls because I hate to dodge in and out of rain when I do major shopping ~ something hard to avoid where I live. And that's probably why I never seem to do any real shopping outside of the Christmas holiday. I seem to buy most of my clothes when I'm on vacations.

I don't see why a mall is any more obnoxious than a downtown strip of over-priced boutiques.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.