Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is your favorite college town??
Ithaca, New York 8 6.78%
Cambridge, Massachusetts 14 11.86%
Princeton, New Jersey 6 5.08%
New Haven, Connecticut 7 5.93%
Pal Alto, California 4 3.39%
Athens, Georgia 7 5.93%
Gainsville, Florida 9 7.63%
Austin, Texas 20 16.95%
Charlottesville, Virginia 7 5.93%
Ann Arbor, Michigan 12 10.17%
Columbia, South Carolina 2 1.69%
Ames, Iowa 4 3.39%
Amherst, Massachusetts 2 1.69%
College Park, Maryland 4 3.39%
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 8 6.78%
Other 47 39.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:01 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,777,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
With the exception of NYC and LA and maybe Chicago and Atlanta, Austin defintely has an edge on film. Music is about the same as Houston and Dallas but neither Houston or Dallas has events on par with ACL or SXSW festival. Austin does have alot of culture as much as other Texans dislike to admit it. But the thing is that Austin does not revolve around UT anymore. The state government, the growing IT industry, and a growing diversified economy has pushed Austin from being just a sleepy college town as it was in the 1960s. WHen I think college town, I think Athens, Georgia, Gainsville, Florida; Madison, Wisconsin; Charlottesville, Virginia where the university IS the town. I can't say the same for Austin and UT. UT is not all of Austin. A big part yes, but not as big as it use to be.
Do you live in Austin? Or have you recently?
Austin gets a lot of good lip-service, but to those who enjoy a large city with large city amenities, it can be a disappointment. And yes, a lot of what happens today there DOES revolved around the university. I'm not sure why in every thread that comes up about it, you always insist differently.

College town - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"A college town or university town is a community (often literally a town, but possibly a small or medium sized city, or in some cases a neighborhood or a district of a city) which is dominated by its university population. The university may be large, or there may be several smaller institutions such as liberal arts colleges clustered, or the residential population may be small, but college towns in all cases are so dubbed because the presence of the educational institution(s) pervades economic and social life. Many local residents may be employed by the university - which may be the largest employer in the community, many businesses cater primarily to the university"

Sounds like Austin to me. That's exactly how it felt when I was living there (in the city; I never lived in the 'burbs, which are probably much less college-centric.)

College town - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - list of college towns by state
And... there's Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 10:26 AM

327 posts, read 1,047,634 times
New Brunswick NJ

Old 01-26-2009, 10:39 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,585,093 times
Lawremce. Kansas.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:26 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,566,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
You left way too many out:

Berkeley, CA
Santa Cruz, CA
Davis, CA
Chico, CA
Eugene, OR
San Luis Obispo, CA
Boulder, CO
Pullman, WA
Moscow, ID
Agree that OP's list is focused in the East & basically ignores all the great college towns in the Western U.S.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
What a surprise that you would say something ignorant like this, given the ignorance of all of your other posts. Bush Sr has his library in Coll. Station and the one that just got replaced (GW) is slated to be at SMU, I guess
My mistake but I am not mistaken that you will be one of the first to worship all the books in Bush [the dunce] library for 5 minutes

Old 01-26-2009, 11:34 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
My mistake but I am not mistaken that you will be one of the first to worship all the books in Bush [the dunce] library for 5 minutes
Yeah, sure, while you are reading the communist thoery by Karl Marx

Old 01-26-2009, 11:46 AM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Do you live in Austin? Or have you recently?
Austin gets a lot of good lip-service, but to those who enjoy a large city with large city amenities, it can be a disappointment. And yes, a lot of what happens today there DOES revolved around the university. I'm not sure why in every thread that comes up about it, you always insist differently.

College town - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"A college town or university town is a community (often literally a town, but possibly a small or medium sized city, or in some cases a neighborhood or a district of a city) which is dominated by its university population. The university may be large, or there may be several smaller institutions such as liberal arts colleges clustered, or the residential population may be small, but college towns in all cases are so dubbed because the presence of the educational institution(s) pervades economic and social life. Many local residents may be employed by the university - which may be the largest employer in the community, many businesses cater primarily to the university"

Sounds like Austin to me. That's exactly how it felt when I was living there (in the city; I never lived in the 'burbs, which are probably much less college-centric.)

College town - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - list of college towns by state
And... there's Austin.

Yes, I lived in the city of Austin and I was there last year. I have multiple friends down there. 20 years ago it was a college town. Now, it is no longer a college town. UT does not dominate the economy like it use to. Big presence yes. But it's presence is about as big as the oil industry is in Houston nowadays which is dwindling because of other industries currently growing. And since when I do I insist differently? I merely stick up for it and I know it has it's problems just as much as you do the same for Houston. I don't see why you would become offended that I do stick up for it. Austin is much more than college nowadays.

Basically all I'm saying is that compared to some of the choices as well as some left off, Austin does not match up with those anymore. Madison revolves around UofWisconsin. Charlottesville revolves around UofVirginia. Berkely revolves around UofCalifornia and so on.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Yeah, sure, while you are reading the communist thoery by Karl Marx
So passé\ so ignorant\ so Republican

Old 01-26-2009, 02:24 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
With the exception of NYC and LA and maybe Chicago and Atlanta, Austin defintely has an edge on film. Music is about the same as Houston and Dallas but neither Houston or Dallas has events on par with ACL or SXSW festival. Austin does have alot of culture as much as other Texans dislike to admit it. But the thing is that Austin does not revolve around UT anymore. The state government, the growing IT industry, and a growing diversified economy has pushed Austin from being just a sleepy college town as it was in the 1960s. WHen I think college town, I think Athens, Georgia, Gainsville, Florida; Madison, Wisconsin; Charlottesville, Virginia where the university IS the town. I can't say the same for Austin and UT. UT is not all of Austin. A big part yes, but not as big as it use to be.
Dude just give it up, Austin is definatly influenced by UT college scene. Without UT, the city would be an ordinary Texas city with nothing special. It would probably be on par with Waco. I go to Austin all the time and it is still a college town. UT is what brings in a lot of business and people. Just because they are building out there skyline dosen't mean it isn't a college town anymore.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:51 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
So passé\ so ignorant\ so Republican
Yawn, so intellectually inferior...let us know when you move past the 5th grade
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.