Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we add a City-vs.-City sub-forum?
Yes 84 78.50%
No 23 21.50%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 02:06 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh, I think it would quickly descend to the ridiculous, with Scranton vs Las Vegas polls galore, and people continuously trying to compare apples to oranges. Then the flame wars would erupt with people shouting, "No way! Kalamazoo has pretty darned good public transportation. The city's minivan runs twice a day around the business district!"

In other words, a disaster in the making.
I wouldn't expect any more of this than you already have with those kinds of threads on General U.S. I would disagree with the idea of banning the "versus" threads altogether, since there can sometimes be interesting discussions about the details of the cities being considered. Maybe some close monitoring of the bashing that often happens in those threads is in order, but I wouldn't want to see the "versus" threads eliminated altogether.

As for a separate forum, personally I don't have a problem with the current set-up, but that other sticky just recently posted indicates that some people do feel that they're having to slog through too many urban topics threads that reapeat the same general ideas while trying to locate topics they find interesting. If that's the case, I'm okay with a separate forum--or more likely a sub-forum of General U.S.--but I'm with Houstoner on the idea of having a broader urban issues sub-forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 02:17 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,785 times
I voted yes, though I'm not sure I even agree with ANY city vs. city threads. If someone posts a St. Louis vs. Cleveland thread, St Louisans are going to vote St Louis even though they've never been to Cleveland, and vice versa. There are so many uneducated votes on these polls, I have no doubt.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:36 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,012,398 times
Absolutely, but only if the moderators are going to keep the "city vs. city" mess out of this area.....

Old 01-25-2009, 02:55 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,061,158 times
yes there needs to be a City verse City sub forum. I am tired of coming to this room to look for information or to see If I can be of any assistance to anyone and all I see if Omaha verse Minneapolis Verse San Francisco etc...

Old 01-25-2009, 04:04 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
And a subforum for skyline vs skyline, beach ve. beach, funny suburb names vs. funny suburb names, bars vs bars, girls vs girls, gay bars vs. gay bars. alternative rock music stations vs. alternative rock music stations, container ports vs. container ports, skid rows vs, skid rows, etc.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:58 PM

149 posts, read 762,363 times
Maybe if it wasn't a city vs. city, but a comparisons subforum where all of the "this vs. that" threads could go. I actually enjoy reading them sometimes, even though they can often turn ugly but some people offer insightful information. It seems as though certain people are overly sensitive and others feel the need to get some anger off their chest, so I was thinking maybe if there was a single smackdown forum where people could let loose, it would preserve the General US forum as a place where civil discussions could take place?

Old 01-25-2009, 05:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I've read all the arguments, and I'll go for yes, even though some of the opponents made good points. Some people actually DO want the information for purposes of moving; you see a lot of those on the city forums as well. Some seem to just do it for fun.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:40 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,540,106 times
I'm on the fence on this one. While i do like to learn about other cities. It can lead to nothing but a bunch of uneducated bickering about each other cities. Than you will have mindless comparisons for no other reason just to get a rise out of people. If you do make a city vs city sub forum, make sure you moderate that more than any other forum and the reason is because when you make fun of someone's home, it can get a little personal and as time goes on, it will get ugly. Another site had the same city vs city sub forum and they had to close it.

I do agree with houstoner that there needs to be a city planning/ urban forum considering most people on here like suburban environments.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:05 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Sigh. Why is it that we can't have an Urban Planning forum?!

Old 01-25-2009, 09:04 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
Absolutely, but only if the moderators are going to keep the "city vs. city" mess out of this area.....
Yes, if there are "city vs. city" and even a "skyline/city architecture discussion" (hint hint) subforum room in here, I can PROMISE you, the moderators in here (ahem and two other ahems at least) will keep the "mess" debates out of the General U.S. room and properly put in those rooms where they would belong. And regarding the fighting that sometimes gets out of control - things will be kept to healthy discussions and debates, but some of the juvenile stuff that has occasionally occurred will start meeting the big black "delete" button.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.