Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2009, 12:06 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,998 times

Advertisements

Mardi Gras is coming up in St. Louis pretty soon. Apparently ours is second-largest only to New Orleans. I've heard that usually Mardi Gras brings about a half-million people to St. Louis. Unlike New Orleans, though, it's obviously cold here during Mardi Gras.

Mardi Gras, Inc. - 2009 St. Louis Mardi Gras

What your city's biggest yearly events?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 06:52 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,911,411 times
Boston:

First Night, New Year's Eve celebration. I've never gone, so I don't know a lot of details, but it sounds cool because there are actual events in different venues around the central part of the city, instead of a crowd gathering in one spot to just kind of stand around until midnight (not to knock this in cities with that kind of celebration, but it does seem interesting to have various events going on all over).

Fourth of July: Concert on the Esplanade, a park next to the river. Fireworks over the river. People watching from the Esplanade, from rooftops, and from boats on the river.

Patriots' Day: Re-enactments of the battles at Lexington and Concord . . .

. . . Patriots' Day AKA Marathon Monday: I know people in Northeastern cities have the reputation for being cold, but the Marathon always displays plenty of heartwarming exceptions. There will always be news stories about people running the race for charity, or running to symbolize a comeback from some personal setback. There is a man who runs the marathon each year while pushing his handicapped son in a wheelchair the whole way. You'll see him being interviewed on television, saying he and his son are in this together. And it's great to see the crowds who still line the race route hours after the professional competitors have passed, cheering on those who are just in it for the personal challenge.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:01 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,853,789 times
The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.

It's the largest Rodeo in the world and 2 million people attend it each year.

http://www.hlsr.com/

Old 01-26-2009, 01:30 PM

395 posts, read 1,375,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Mardi Gras is coming up in St. Louis pretty soon. Apparently ours is second-largest only to New Orleans. I've heard that usually Mardi Gras brings about a half-million people to St. Louis. Unlike New Orleans, though, it's obviously cold here during Mardi Gras.

Mardi Gras, Inc. - 2009 St. Louis Mardi Gras

What your city's biggest yearly events?
Have you ever been to the mardi gras in st. louis? And "ours" as in you're from there? Aren't you from some small podunk town in southern missouri?

Old 01-26-2009, 01:40 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,932,967 times
The three rivers regatta. This past year and this year they combined it with the fourth of July celebration.

Also the three rivers festival is a big event that has bands and art galleries all throughout downtown. It is cut from 17 days to 10 this year because of the recession.

The American Eagle Musical fest started this year, and they said they are going to make it a yearly thing. Lets hope.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:29 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
Have you ever been to the mardi gras in st. louis? And "ours" as in you're from there? Aren't you from some small podunk town in southern missouri?
I often say "ours" when speaking about St. Louis. I guess I'm just used to it with the sports teams. Sometimes I also says "ours" when referring to Missouri or the Midwest in general.

Why does it bother you so much? If you have nothing productive to add to the thread then just stay out of it.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:01 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,911,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
Hmm, well, that added a lot to the thread.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:48 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,578,172 times
St. Paul: Since the 1880s our city has celebrated a Winter Carnival every January. Two parades, royalty, entertainment, ice sculptures, banquets, foor races, "krews", ice castles, a treasure hunt and other assorted organized and unorganized activity. Sounds bizarre, I know, but it was started by the Great Northern and Northern Pacific railroads (which were headquartered here) as a way of encouraging settlement of this part of the country. It was supposed to show the "Eastern" newspapers that MN is not the frozen tundra that's its reputation (well-deserved, IMHO ). Nevertheless, great fun for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.