Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 05:46 PM

366 posts, read 1,441,708 times

Advertisements

Here in Galveston if a homeless person ask you for money..don't give them NONE. All they do is spend it on Alcohol or drugs. They hang around a couple of the gas stations and the Salvation Army here (where most of them stay. There were plans to make another Salvation Army but it FAILED!) I give clothes to the Salvation Army here from time to time for the Homeless. Most have been wipedout of Galveston (Due to Ike) which is a good thing and they don't make an effort to get a job. The best thing for them is to get an application; try to be a janitor at McDonalds or something!!

So..how are they in your city and do you help them??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 06:08 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times
I walked around Downtown Houston yesterday and there was a lot of homeless people down there. They were mostly in the midtown area. In the Theater District I didn't see that many homeless people. They seem to have it pretty good down there. I didn't see anyone giving them a hard time (shop owners, police). They just seem to be a part of the area just like the skyscrapers.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:21 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,892,512 times
Its my impression that Santa Monica and San Fran have the worst and highest homeless populations. I thought Chicago did a fair good job with homeless facilities and outreach when I lived there in the 90's.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:25 PM

366 posts, read 1,441,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Its my impression that Santa Monica and San Fran have the worst and highest homeless populations. I thought Chicago did a fair good job with homeless facilities and outreach when I lived there in the 90's.
I've heard alot of negative things about the Homeless in San Fran.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:33 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,012,398 times
Well, I'll start by saying that in a way I do have compasion for homeless people no matter what their issue is and that includes drugs, or just plain ole lazyness. I don't believe that they are gonna get my money however, I put all of my tithe in Disaster Relief where I know where it's going.

I think that the homeless problem is more extensive the higher the cost of living in the city, it's just logical. I see homeless people in Houston, and San Antonio, and New Orleans, and DFW, but Austin has it worse than all of em to me. I think thery migrate to the more expensive areas because they see it as more opportunity on the street.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:49 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,287 times
In the rare times that I get into downtown Chicago, I almost always get hit on by bums on the street. The best tactic is to walk quickly, ignore them and don't make eye contact. Don't present yourself as a potential victim and don't look like a tourist. Also, if I see them, I'll frequently cross over onto the other side of the street just to avoid a confrontation.

I had one guy follow me for a couple of blocks and kept asking me for money while he followed me - talk about creepy.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:31 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
In Louisville a lot of them walk up to you with hand written notes about some sports person they are related to. Some of them are really aggressive and get angry if you back off or start running. I had one that started banging on the trunk of my car when I was driving off

Old 01-27-2009, 05:22 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
They dress raggedy and usually need a good washing...and they are SO needy.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:54 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,059 times
Firstly, why are some people here referring to homeless people as bums? Just because a person doesn't have a stable residence doesn't make them a bum. I would hope that everyone on here who is freely throwing around the term "bum" never finds themselves out on the street for any given reason.

As in all cities, there is not a particular type of homeless person in Phoenix. There are some who have mental disorders, who should be in hospitals. Others are transients who are in Phoenix for a couple of weeks, on their way to some other city. Some of the homeless are families. Some of the homeless are drug and alcohol users.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:09 AM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,483 times
They dont have any in Lodi, NJ but in Paterson, NJ
I think anyone would consider it homeless central, because they have like 4 or 5 homeless shelters in a city thats only 9 square miles. There must be HUNDREDS of them all over the place... some not so bad, but some are drunken/drugged messes. It's really sad to see... but thank god the city does a good job about it. I love Paterson for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.