Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 07:01 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,582,612 times

Advertisements

I did a move from DC to NC last year and found this site to be VERY helpful -

http://www.movingscam.com/

Not just for finding a non-crooked mover, but for general move hints as well.

No affiliation to that site - just think everyone should know about the awful moving scams.

Oh, and you can get reasonably priced boxes from -

http://www.uline.com/

I ordered the 3 smaller sizes (16x12x12, 18x18x16, and 18x18x24). I wound up needing a few more smaller boxes, and not so many of the larger.

I found moving to be really stressful and a lot more work than I expected. The good thing is I threw away so much JUNK that the next time I move it will be much easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 12:22 PM

306 posts, read 1,190,009 times
Thumbs up You guys are...

AWESOME!! I want to keep this info for when I move in one year, nine months, ___ days, ___ minutes,

Hey, Lizardlips - any luck with the house selling yet? I keep hoping for you. I know this is stressfull. But, it will sell, it's just waiting for the right buyer.

Are you still moving before October or whenever the house sells? How is your hubby taking the move? And the kids?

Old 03-13-2007, 02:30 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,966,787 times
I did alot of work on craigslist.org.
Sold alot of my furniture in the furniture section, got rid of alot of "freebies" in the "free" section AND got some free moving boxes (same section).

I had a lot of things I was going to donate, but due to lack of time, I listed all the items as a post on craigslist as a "free curbside pickup". Everything was GONE within the hour.

Nothing wrong with a little recycling.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:53 PM

110 posts, read 331,977 times
Wow. Great list. Thanks!

Old 03-14-2007, 04:18 PM

770 posts, read 3,670,392 times
Walmart will give you boxes. Just call your local Walmart and ask them when do they unpack boxes and if you can have some. I know we had to go at 4AM in the morning, but the boxes were perfectly fine and free.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:13 AM

189 posts, read 751,717 times
The advantage of using uniform size moving boxes, rather than store cast-offs, is that they are easier to stack on hand trucks and easier to pack in a moving crate or van. The tighter you can pack your boxes, the less likely anything will break and the more likely you can get more boxes in the moving van or crate. The more boxes you can pack, the less expensive it is. Also, when doing a cross country move, you don't want to be stuck at the last minute without enough boxes because the store you had counted on to have give-aways didn't have enough to meet your needs.

When I was in college, was merely moving within town and didn't have much stuff, trolling for boxes from stores really worked. It was a good way to save money. However, if you're moving a household of stuff from one state to another, I suggest reconsidering that strategy.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:40 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,582,612 times
I agree with Rockyhillgal - I recommend uniform boxes, tightly packed. I did a lot of reading about how to pack for a long-distance move, and it paid off. All my belongs arrived intact - not even one crushed box. I think it'd be pretty hard for movers to pack up a tractor trailer with all different size boxes - not impossible of course, but it'd have to take them longer that way. I think I spent $100 on boxes - well worth it considering how well the moved turned out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.