Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:29 PM

3,069 posts, read 7,983,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Maybe it's just the circles I run in, but I have met literally hundreds of former southerners in Chicago.

There's not a specific neighborhood where Southerners congregate, (although there used to be a big Appalachian population in Uptown) because it's not as if we're talking about an ethnic enclave. Still, there are restaurants and bars that are certainly Southern in flavor, and you can find bluegrass bands and stage shows around the city that are southern-fried.

I know that's the case with NYC, as well, and am sure that's probably true of most decent-sized cities.
Southerners almost could be considered an ethnic group!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 08:31 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,323,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Southerners almost could be considered an ethnic group!
Oh, I feel that way, from time to time! But, of course, as there is no language barrier, and as regional identity has been diluted by a variety of factors, being from Alabama isn't a whole lot different than being from Michigan, as far as Chicago's concerned.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:12 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,256,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Any city with a large Black population in the North considering most came by way of the Great Migration. Many Midwestern cities like Detroit, any major city in Ohio, Indiana and Illinois, got their share of White Southerners too.
Well if they're descendants from the Great Migration period then they can't be considered as southerners. Only the older individuals who came from the south, themselves (they would be in their 80s or 90s by now)

Old 01-27-2009, 10:25 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,131,809 times
Lots of Southerners around Chicagoland. I work with 2 ex-Texans, 3 ex-Mississippians and 1 ex-Georgian. My old neighbors from my old town were from Georgia, too. Oh, and my bro's ex-girlfriend was originally from Kentucky (if you consider KY the south).

Old 01-27-2009, 10:41 PM

7,053 posts, read 19,216,998 times
I work with a two guys from Florida, one woman from South Carolina, and a guy from Georgia. I'm from Virginia. There's a guy from Maryland too, if that counts. Only two people in my Manhattan office are actually from New York.

Anecdotal as it is, I feel I've met quite a few people from the south in Philadelphia.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:18 PM

92,089 posts, read 122,294,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Well if they're descendants from the Great Migration period then they can't be considered as southerners. Only the older individuals who came from the south, themselves (they would be in their 80s or 90s by now)
Actually, the migration went well into the 1970's, if not the '80's. So, that's not necessarily true. For instance, my father came from Mississippi in 1965 to Syracuse and my mother came from South Carolina around 1963. My mother still has a Southern accent and my dad's accent only comes up for certain words.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:44 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,335,740 times
Quote:
Actually, the migration went well into the 1970's, if not the '80's. So, that's not necessarily true. For instance, my father came from Mississippi in 1965 to Syracuse and my mother came from South Carolina around 1963. My mother still has a Southern accent and my dad's accent only comes up for certain words.
Not to mention that kids usually follow the traditions and patters of their elders. Also, many blacks in the Midwest and Northeast still visit their family in Chicago from time to time so they pick up those habits a bit. When I was in Chicago, you wouldn't find much of a different between Black Chicagoans and Black Southerners. In fact, I could have swore I was in Mississippi at times when I was up there.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:45 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,838,810 times
St Louis is considered Midwestern, there are a ton of folks there with Southern roots, or are transplants.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
That's not right. The Great Migration is documented as ocurring loosely between the 1910s and the 1940s. My grandparents were apart of that. Now, there's the arguable Second "Great" Migration which was between the 40s and the 70s, but by 1965 America was already witnessing the New Great Migration which was the mass return of African Americans to the South.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Not to mention that kids usually follow the traditions and patters of their elders. Also, many blacks in the Midwest and Northeast still visit their family in Chicago from time to time so they pick up those habits a bit. When I was in Chicago, you wouldn't find much of a different between Black Chicagoans and Black Southerners. In fact, I could have swore I was in Mississippi at times when I was up there.
Naw, Chicago folk are just country lol. Seriously though, I always found it strange that some people from Chicago speak with a "northern-ish" accent, while others sound straight southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.