Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 04:24 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
and IF being the key word, but its not and won't be. Keep making up scenarios and excuses if you want but it doesn't change facts or statistics.
No, it doesn't -- but that's not the point. It's a matter of putting things in perspective and understanding that the crime rate in a city defined by a small urban core does NOT necessarily speak to the crime rate for the surrounding urban/metropolitan area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 04:37 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
No, it doesn't -- but that's not the point. It's a matter of putting things in perspective and understanding that the crime rate in a city defined by a small urban core does NOT necessarily speak to the crime rate for the surrounding urban/metropolitan area.
And I never claimed it did nor did I say anything about the Boston Metropolitan area having a crime rate similar to the city itself. Interesting how some of you jump on this scenario when its a place that people perceive to have a low crime rate like Boston or Minneapolis yet say nothing similar when it comes to Detroit, New Orleans, Atlanta, etc.... If you were to expand their city boundaries out to the suburbs the crime rate would lower too as it would with pretty much any other city in the US for the most part, its not like Boston is unique in that regard.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:46 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
And I never claimed it did nor did I say anything about the Boston Metropolitan area having a crime rate similar to the city itself. Interesting how some of you jump on this scenario when its a place that people perceive to have a low crime rate like Boston or Minneapolis yet say nothing similar when it comes to Detroit, New Orleans, Atlanta, etc.... If you were to expand their city boundaries out to the suburbs the crime rate would lower too as it would with pretty much any other city in the US for the most part, its not like Boston is unique in that regard.
You're exactly right. I wasn't necessarily referring to Boston, either -- just making a generalized statement for any city with relatively small city limits.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:05 PM

17 posts, read 50,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
People do come to Denver from all over, but many are intimidated by our winters, which really aren't that bad, especially if you're from the east or midwest.
Amen to that, I was born and raised in Indiana and went to school in North Dakota and thought that Denver had winters similar to those states. Outside of the year of the blizzard, which wasn't so bad outside of the blizzard , the winters are very mild and easy to me!!!!! I don't mind the snow, because it melts so quickly with all the sun. I LOVE IT!!!!

Old 02-04-2009, 07:37 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Maybe this will help..."Proof" that people are leaving the northeast!

Boston Population
1960 697,197 −13%
1970 641,071 −8.1%
1980 562,994 −12.2%
1990 574,283 2%
2000 589,1412 .6%

Baltimore Population
1960 939,024 −1.1%
1970 905,759 −3.5%
1980 786,775 −13.1%
1990 736,014 −6.5%
2000 636,251 −13.6%
Baltimore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Philadelphia Population
1960 2,002,512 −3.3%
1970 1,948,609 −2.7%
1980 1,688,210 −13.4%
1990 1,585,577 −6.1%
2000 1,517,550 −4.3%
Philadelphia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Keep in mind that as the northeast cities lost population, the regions grew steadily.The midwest cities followed the same tendencies until very recently.

In 1950 the population of Philadephia was 2 million and the total metro population was 3.3 million. Flash forward to the year 2000 and even though Philadlephias population declined by 500,000 the overall region increased by 2 million. The residents that fled the cities of the northeast havent flocked to other regions , rather they moved 20-30 miles to the N/S/W +E.

Not to be pompous but I dont think its a stretch to say the ancestors who built the crux of the greatest cities in the usa(NY-Bos-Philly-Bal-Wash) now have descendants building the wealthiest suburbs in the usa. The top 20 list of wealthiest counties in the usa is a whos-who of the Northeast. The apple doesnt fall far from the tree. Dont get it twisted, there is no great exodus from the Northeast, this is and arguably always will be the heart of the country.

Last edited by rainrock; 02-04-2009 at 07:59 PM..

Old 02-04-2009, 07:49 PM

I can acccept Denver finishing #1. The High Plains, the Rockies,the clean air. Rocky Mountain High.Right on.

Too high for me. Orlando and Tampa.

Too low LA + Minneapolis.

Strong group finishing miidway with Wash/NY/Phil/Chicago. Wow these areas should not be below sacramento,san antonio tampa,orlando(no offense).Unbelievable.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:14 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,520,885 times
Rainrock - you're from PA - are you sure you're not biased? How much time have you spent in Tampa,San Antonio and Orlando? honestly.

San Antoinio has mild winters - not too bad traffic ,although personally I don't care for it - I like Denver better even though its high traffic and cost compared to SA. Tampa has a pretty location and nice winters too - Orlando - yeah if you like Disney.

I don't see any real redeeming features of Philly. High crime - cold weather -what's the attraction?

Detroit,Pittsburgh and Buffalo all have really cheap buildings -and percentage wise more old bldgs than Phily. Detroit has bad crime and taxes but houses for $3 and $4 a sq ft.

Make the case for Philly -- I can't!

Old 02-04-2009, 08:52 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Uptown - your post is logical however i disagree with your last line. I don't think there will be ever be another shift to the north or northeast. Those who experience warm winters for the most part don't want to go back to them. Rolling Stone might disagree with me slightly saying that if global warming continued some of the rust belt cities would gain population -most notably Buffalo - a great place with horrible taxes ( and yes I have traveled extensively to all regions).
People might not want to go back to the cold, but if, say, water gets extremely scarce and expensive many people might be forced to reconsider their options out of economic necessity. On the other hand, new technologies or scientific breakthroughs could completely alter that argument.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Rainrock - you're from PA - are you sure you're not biased? How much time have you spent in Tampa,San Antonio and Orlando? honestly.

San Antoinio has mild winters - not too bad traffic ,although personally I don't care for it - I like Denver better even though its high traffic and cost compared to SA. Tampa has a pretty location and nice winters too - Orlando - yeah if you like Disney.

I don't see any real redeeming features of Philly. High crime - cold weather -what's the attraction?

Detroit,Pittsburgh and Buffalo all have really cheap buildings -and percentage wise more old bldgs than Phily. Detroit has bad crime and taxes but houses for $3 and $4 a sq ft.

Make the case for Philly -- I can't!
The poll was based on metropolitan areas.So your High crime indictment gets reduced quite a bit, for 80% of the regional population crime is a non issue. Philadlephias location and landscape doesnt quite get the credit it deserves imo. The only metro area in the usa I personally would give location/landscape superiority would be, off the top of my head SF,SD,La,Sea,Den thats about it of the major metroes.

A case?

Awesome downtown, a plethora of historic world class residential neighborhoods throughout the region,7 of top 100 wealthiest counties in the usa surrounding the city. 1 hour from great beaches Cape May,Atlantic City etc., 1 Hr from Lancaster, 1 1/2 hours from the Pocono Mts.,2 Hr NYC,2 Hr. Bal, 2 1/2 hrs DC.

Admittedly parts of the city have seen better days and quite frankly deserves criticism but whew the Philadelphia area as a whole(along with others noted in previous conversation) should not be trailing Orlando,tampa,SA,Sactown etc. and thats no disrespect to those fine areas.

Last edited by rainrock; 02-04-2009 at 09:43 PM..

Old 02-04-2009, 10:51 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,520,885 times
Rain not bad pictures - but you could do the same with Buffalo, Cleveland, Pitt, Rochester and Detroit.

All have sections of old bulidings (Buff perhaps the highest percentage), all have waterviews and green areas right out of town (Detroit has lots of green areas in town but that's an entirely different story (urban praire), Pitt has great hills to add. As for crime there is one survey that takes all that into account - I may have trashed it- Phily wasn't as bad as Detroit -Gary - Flint - St Louis - Cleveland but it wasn't very good either.

As for the south and west - whether one likes Palm Trees or Mountains vs the deciduous stuff in the Northeast is just personal preference.

The one thing I've seem to have forgotten is summers. Detroit and Buffalo are great. St Louis - KC and many southern cities are horrible - my guess Phily is in the middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.