Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 03:11 PM

37 posts, read 441,259 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to re-locate to a state that has a warm to hot climate (about 60-90 degrees or so) most of the year, with lower humidity. I don't mind cooler nights/winters, but I'd prefer somewhere that generally has nice weather for outdoor activities. I currently live in WI, and I am sick of the freezing weather and humidity!

I would also prefer somewhere that is known for friendly people, artistic communities, and lots of fun things to do outdoors. Being close to a beach or lake for swimming would be a good bonus too!! Also, a low cost of living would be nice. Tall order, huh? hehe!

So, if anyone knows of or lives in a state/city/area like this, let me know where, and why you like it! So far, I have been considering Texas, New Mexico and Tenesee.

I was thinking about California, but from what I've heard about the general attitude there, I'm not sure. I would prefer somwhere that is known for welcoming people, and more of a small-town attitude, if you know what i mean? Feel free to prove me wrong, though, becuase I do like the climate in CA and have relatives there. ^_^

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 03:29 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,624,505 times
Except for the low cost of living San Diego would be a good fit for you. People here are pretty friendly and welcoming for the most part. There are a lot of tranplants here and the weather seems to put people in a good mood or something. We're not like LA or SF as some people might assume and out of all the urban areas in CA, SD is probably the friendliest from my experiance. San Diego has been described as a big city with a small town feel by some, which some like and others don't. It's a VERY laid back lifestyle too and people dress real casual here, which can bother some people looking for a faster paced, more sophisticated lifestyle.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:34 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,021 times
I would say with your specifications, somewhere in Northern California. Unfortunately, CA has one of the worst economies right now. Arizona probably too hot for you, but they offer the lowest humidity year-round. New Mexico might work, too.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:43 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,653,377 times
Absolutely NOT Florida. It's as humid as hell.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:57 PM

37 posts, read 441,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Except for the low cost of living San Diego would be a good fit for you. People here are pretty friendly and welcoming for the most part. There are a lot of tranplants here and the weather seems to put people in a good mood or something. We're not like LA or SF as some people might assume and out of all the urban areas in CA, SD is probably the friendliest from my experiance. San Diego has been described as a big city with a small town feel by some, which some like and others don't. It's a VERY laid back lifestyle too and people dress real casual here, which can bother some people looking for a faster paced, more sophisticated lifestyle.
San Diego sounds awesome!! I like the laid-back part, that is also what I am looking for. What is the cost of living like there? (like gas, groceries, rent, stuff like that) Is it REALLY expensive?

and @ the florida comment...hehe yeah I don't think I could take the humidity there...:P

Thanks!!

Old 02-03-2009, 04:19 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,624,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieren View Post
San Diego sounds awesome!! I like the laid-back part, that is also what I am looking for. What is the cost of living like there? (like gas, groceries, rent, stuff like that) Is it REALLY expensive?

and @ the florida comment...hehe yeah I don't think I could take the humidity there...:P

Thanks!!
Gas is usually $.20-.50 higher than the rest of the nation, right now I think it's around $2.11.

Not sure how much more groceries are here compared to elsewhere but milk is about $3/gallon. Some people say its more expensive that where they came from, some say its cheaper or the same. CA grows a lot of its own food, so some vegetables and fruits might be cheaper.

Rent is on the pricey side and of course depends on location and how new or nice a place is. One bedrooms can be had for under $1,000, I'd say $850-900 is the low end, $1000-1200 average, and above $1200 on the more expensive side. There is a 2 bedroom right next to my apt renting for $1250 8 blocks from the ocean. Browsing craigslist can give you a good snap shot of what general rental prices are here and what you get for them.

Near the coast where the weather is the most mild (temps between 65-80 year round during the day) utilities tend to be cheap b/c you don't need AC (and many places won't have it near the coast) and might not even need to use a heater at all depending on your tolerance for cold.

Some people think its reasonable and somewhat cheap compared to places like Boston, SF, LA, NYC, DC, etc... But expensive compared to cheaper locales like Houston, Tampa, etc.. Basically people pay extra for the weather and might have to live in a smaller and older place compared to what they can get elsewhere, depends on whether or not the SD lifestyle is worth it to you or not. If you are really active and love being outside year round you can't find a much better place for that, it's almost always a comfortable temperature to be outside here.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:47 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,466,711 times
New Mexico
Arizona
Texas from Austin/San Antonio westward
Las Vegas, Nevada
Saint George, Utah

Old 02-03-2009, 04:59 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
New Mexico
Arizona
Texas from Austin/San Antonio westward
Las Vegas, Nevada
Saint George, Utah
St. George, Utah. Not very well-known town in what is called "Utah's Dixie". Climate similar to Las Vegas, not Salt Lake City. Very hot in summer.
Up until recession, growing very fast.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:24 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,971,439 times
You won't find any climate in the U.S. that is both a desert climate AND is consistently 60-90 or so. It simply doesn't work like that. Deserts are characterized by wide swings in Temperatures, between summer highs and winter lows, generally more than 60 degrees, up to almost 80 degrees.

Check out these cities average july highs and january lows

City July High January Low
Las Vegas 104 28
Phoenix 107 43
Tucson 101 42
Palm Springs 107 42
El Paso 95 31
Las Cruces 94 26
St George 102 26
Sierra Vista 92 34
Grand Jct 92 16
Salt Lake 91 21
Reno 91 22
Denver 88 16

As you can see, in a dry climate, temperature swings are fairly constant. somwhere in the range of 60-75 degrees between average summer highs and average winter lows. Places with warm winters will have hot summers (e.g., Phoenix) and places with cooler summers will have cold winters (e.g., Denver).

The closest true desert climate to your requirement is probably Sierra Vista, Arizona, where summers are 92 degrees and winters above freezing at 34 -- nowhere near 60 of course, but as I said, that requirement (30 degree swing) is impossible in a desert at the latitudes of the United States.

Many of the places mentioned so far by other posters are not arid climates. I know Texans think that the central part of their state is not humid. Compared to swampy Houston, it isn't. But, those of us who have grown up in a dry climate think differently. Even the panhandle of Texas does have times of the year that is humid. That said, far western Texas (west of the Pecos) is indeed arid. The same thing could be said for the coast of California. It is most certainly not an arid climate except during rare periods, though few would deny that San Diego does have an pleasant climate, just not an arid climate.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:27 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,466,711 times
Sierra Vista is 60 during the day in the winter. And 34 isn't bad at night seeing as a lot of places don't even reach 34 as a high. The OP probably meant 60 as a high in the winter (and even said he/she could tolerate slightly cooler winters, just not cold).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.