Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Looking to relocate from Ireland to East Coast, seeking information on cost of living in New York, Philly, Boston, Washington DC, $300-$500 monthly rent budget

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 08:20 AM

4 posts, read 6,056 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

Im from Ireland and im planning a move to the US under the new year long working visa offered between our countries.

I am hoping to go around august but have a lot to decide upon before then.

Firstly im not sure where to go. I am an industrial designer (graduated in august) with about 1 years experience behind me. The north east is really good for design so im headed there and hoping to start a career.

New York, Boston, Phili or Washington are my obvious choices and im also considoring Chicago.

Im 21 years old so i would love to live in an area with a young population and a cool, vibrant creative culture.

I want to hopefully rent out a room for maybe $350-500. Is this realistic?

Are there smaller cities/towns i wouldnt know about that would be good?

Id love to hear any suggestions

Also, given the current economic situation do you think that i will find it difficult being a non national? Initially i would probably look for bar work to keep me while i look for a career job.

Thanks for your help guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 08:24 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
$500 month might be doable, but probably not in New York, Boston, or Chicago. Maybe if you get a couple of room mates you could do it. I'm not sure. I'm not sure about Washington or Philly costs, either.

Best of luck.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:45 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,757,854 times
First off, are you going to have a car? If you really NEED to hit that type of pricepoint on a room, you're probably going to have to get a good deal out of the city and you may not have access to much public transportation even in the Northeast by going out that far. Or you can find a place in a not so savory part of town. Not trying to be too negative but I think that price range is going to be really tough if you want something that is safe and in vibrant part of the city. I just saw another poster state that over a recent summer they were paying $850 for a room in a house outside DC, in Takoma Park, MD. The area would be mid range in terms of costs for housing but is very safe and convenient to transit so that's the type of price you can expect in DC and it would be one of the cheaper locations on your list!

Old 02-10-2009, 08:57 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
It's realistic if you're renting a room by sharing the place with someone else. Is that what you mean? If so, it should be possible in Philly but I think you'd be looking more at your max than your min.

But $350-500 for a one bedroom apartment on your own - not possible. Just a quick search for any kind of place in any area of Philly on Philadelphia Pennsylvania Apartments For Rent | Philadelphia, PA Apartment Rentals | Apartments.com with $350 as a minimum and $500 as a max yields no results at all. Also check out Philadelphia Apartments - Rent Philadelphia PA Apartments

However, the same search for a two bedroom place for $700-1000, assuming you'd get a roommate and pay half turns up a bunch of results. Try I'm sure other cities have online rental listings that you can get some ideas off of, just google it.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:58 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtobi View Post
Hey guys,

Im from Ireland and im planning a move to the US under the new year long working visa offered between our countries.

Firstly im not sure where to go. I am an industrial designer (graduated in august) with about 1 years experience behind me. The north east is really good for design so im headed there and hoping to start a career.

New York, Boston, Phili or Washington are my obvious choices and im also considoring Chicago.

Im 21 years old so i would love to live in an area with a young population and a cool, vibrant creative culture.

Also, given the current economic situation do you think that i will find it difficult being a non national? Initially i would probably look for bar work to keep me while i look for a career job.

Are you looking to spend $350-500 per month, or per week (as commonly advertised in the UK & Ireland)?

$350-500 a month is going to be nearly impossible in any of the cities you listed, even if you share an apartment with roommmates. There are some cities perhaps in the South and West where the cost of living is lower and you could find decent places to share with roommates in that price range, but I'd leave it up to people from those regions to make recommendations.

For $350-500 a week, you can rent a nice 1-bedroom apartment for yourself in a reasonably nice neighborhood in most of these cities (Manhattan is higher, but you can get a decent place in Jersey, Brooklyn or Queens in that range).

Old 02-10-2009, 09:35 AM

4 posts, read 6,056 times
hey guys, thanks for the reply

no i wouldnt have a car, ideally i would like to rely on public transportation, i also cycle so i wouldnt mind investing in a bike

i was planning on renting a room in a flat that had a spare. ya i knew living in a 1 bed was out of my price range. renting a room seems like the cheapest option im surprised that $500pm is too little.

I have been looking on craigslist but i cant differenciate between good and bad areas, i would preferably like to live in a resonably safe neighourhood though.

For example i have found rooms in apartments in brooklyn for about $550pm. I set 500 as a max on the basis that new york is more expensive on av. than other cities.

Any suggestions for one city/area over another?

Old 02-10-2009, 09:49 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
Not sure a $500 a month room in Brooklyn would be a half way decent area to live.

Give Hartford, Connecticut a look. My Mother used to rent out a room in her house to medical students from Europe and while that was more than a decade ago, at that time she charged only about $300 a month for a nice room, in a nice home in an upscale neighborhood in West Hartford.

Connecticut News, Sports, Entertainment, Obits -- Courant.com is the Hartford newspaper and you can look at their classifieds online. Another site that can help is CT Central - News - Top Stories Today which has several newspapers online in Connecticut.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:53 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,561,398 times
get a roommate. come to boston - dorchester or south boston.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:42 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,693,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtobi View Post
Hey guys,

DC is not the Northeast.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:04 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,757,854 times
Have you tried contacting any GAA's yet? Even if you don't play football or hurling you're pretty likely to find some sympathetic ears who can help you adjust and find both work and good places to stay. All those cities you mention have very strong GAA organizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.